Yamaha RX Z1

Moit

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on the Yamaha RX Z1?

One just came up for sale in my home town, asking $450.00.

Does this seem like a decent price?

Are there any known issues with this model, that I should look out for?

I have two options in regards where to place it.

I have  a simple 3.1 set up with RF7's (original series). Mostly used for 2 channel stereo during the day, and 3.1 for TV.

I also have a 5.1 set up with K-Horns, academy center, and CDT 5650's in the ceiling.

I currently only have the K-Horns running 2 channel via a vintage Pioneer SX 1010.

I use a soundbar for TV sound.

Not heavy into watching movies, but enjoy having more than just 2 channel or soundbar effects

Appreciate any feedback.

It's a 17 year old, outdated receiver as far as technology.  That said, it should sound fantastic if you don't need all the newest technology.  Realistic value is about half their asking price. 

What speakers are you going to connect to the Yamaha if you get it?

• Like 2

If I got it, I would have to give it a run on the k-horns, but my guess is it would end up running the RF7s.

I didn't see the e-bay one, any chance of sending the link?

Thanks for the response, felt like this was over priced.

• Like 2

It had buy it now option at $125 and $25 shipping. I’m guessing someone scooped it up. Easy come easy go. Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I’d look for a model that can be controlled by the AV Controller App and has HDMI switching. At the $500 range or under, I would think you could find something in the AVENTAGE line, which I highly recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have an RX-Z1 it has been retired for several years now. I am hesitant to part with it as I think it could be an awesome a amp one day. Not sure that day will come...

It is dated as others have said. No HDMI, no newer sound capability. But, it has the 0.015 THD ...was that with all channels drive? I do not recall. It is a beast at 60+lbs. I do believe it can only be controlled by its own remote - again, shows its age.

I also have a retired Denon 4311CI. It was replaced by my current Yamaha RX-A3060. I have to say, I prefer Yamaha over Denon. Why? I think they sound better. All subjective, I know.

I have  2x RF-7, 1x RC-7, 2x RS-7 - all original, and a SVS PB16-Ultra sub (this replaced the RSW-15 a few years ago) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 8:01 PM, Moit said:

Okay - now I have a shot at a  Yamaha Aventage RX- A1020. Same question - any thoughts on this unit? Asking $325. Thanks 

I have a 1020 and it sounds fine.  Not real powerful, but it does fine at normal listening volumes.  The RX-Z1 is a great, but dated receiver.  It is extremely powerful, especially in 2 channel mode.  It will rival affordable separates in the same price range.  

The RX-A1020 is probably the better bet.  It has HDMI, Bluetooth, Airplay (I believe), modern decoders that can work with current standards.  The big old Z1 is okay, but it's really dated, as another poster commented.  I have an RX-A2060, and being able to get Net Radio stations is a very valuable feature to me.

23 hours ago, davidness said:

I have and still use my RX-Z1, it has all the HDMI I’ve ever needed (4 in, 2 out), phono input, I use it with my RF-7 complete surround system, I love it. To my thinking, it's worth every bit of $500. Cost was around $2400. I was able to use my VRD stereo tube amp as a “swap in” for the front left-right.

just be certain you get it with the Yamaha microphone and three position calibration thingee that it come with, and get the manual.

Don't get caught up in the “it doesn’t have the latest surround technology”, as you’ll always be chasing that as the manufacturers use that as a ploy to get us to constantly be buying and swapping out our gear.

BAA052C0-359E-4FE3-A5A8-8F4A4E5FA6D9.png

That is not a RX-Z1- now you have piqued my curiosity - what is it?

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/8/319808/01_om_rx-z1.pdf