Schiit Amps?

SWL

I'm eyeballing some Schiit amps (the Vidar and Aegir) and was looking for some input here from someone that owns one or has heard one in action......or just a strong opinion on them.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A single Aegir sounds stunning on my modded K-horns, best amp I have owned by a long shot.

That's a pretty strong statement. I'll be using the Vidar on my modded/upgraded KLF-30's. Originally I was gonna get the Aegir but after reading it seems the Vidar would be a better match with 30's. If I had K-horns I'd most likely go with the Aegir.

• Like 1

[mention=15340]SWL[/mention] Please post your feedback on the amp, I'd be most curious. I'm not in the market per se but may purchase one in the future.
Got the Vidar today.......been listening to it for the last hour and a half. Initial impressions are very good and consistent with what I've read. The bass is tight and solid. The overall fidelity is very good. It's the most refined solid state amp I have in the house. Very clean sounding.

I have it paired with a tube pre right now for low level listening but in the near future I'll try some other solid state preamps I have and I'll let er rip.

Really enjoying this amp as I type....

• Like 3

Instead of an Aegir, I might just get another Vidar to power my horn loaded subs and still have the option to do the mono-block thing.

Really diggin the tight bass. Mids and highs are very clean but in no way bright or strident sounding. Definitely no grain but I am using a tube pre and a warm sounding Modius DAC. It just works......and works very well.

• Like 1

Spent a lot of time this afternoon listening to the Vidar. The more I listen to it the more I like it. Rolling tubes in the preamp.....I couldn't stop listening.

Almost had to call the fire department to come pry my butt out of the sweet spot.

An audio friend of mine is gonna let me borrow his Schiit Saga preamp. Schiit is piling up around here. Their stuff is the real deal.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SWL said:

Do you know what the difference is from the original Freya/Saga preamps and the 'Plus' models?

I don't really recall much about the Saga. Not 100% sure but from memory there was the original Freya and it was the only "Freya" at the time. I think now there is a S and +. The + has tube option and the S does not. I never heard the original Freya, but I've read that it was slightly noisy...others said that was overblown. I know my Freya + is the quietest 6SN7 preamp I've owned and I've owned several. 

• Like 1

Checkin out my friends Saga today. It's dead quiet. There's a couple tweaks I've made that I'll go into later but needless to say, I ordered a new one from Schiit. Should get it in about a week.