Schiit Amps?

SWL

• 1 month later...
May I have your Marantz 3600?  Had a 3300 and unfortunately sold it.
I just sold my 3300 to Jimjimbo recently but I think I'm gonna hang on to both of my 3600's.

I dunno what it is but the Marantz 3600/Crown K2 combination is my 'go to' for rocking out hard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A single Aegir sounds stunning on my modded K-horns, best amp I have owned by a long shot.

I just got the Aegir and I would totally agree that it sounds stunning.

I wanted a low powered solid state amp that would rival the sound of my beloved HH Scott tube integrateds.....and it DOES.

The full, warm sounding midrange is as good as my tube integrateds. Makes me want to keep listening.

I think it's true what I had researched in that the more efficient your speakers are the more you'd want an Aegir. Less efficient probably go with a Vidar.

Either way these are great amps for the money and they also get mentioned in the same breath as more expensive amps costing 2-3 times as much with much respect. Seems they get compared to the Pass amps more than others with Pass getting the nod....but the Aegir is a fraction of the cost.

For low to moderate listening, the Aegir is great with Klipsch speakers.

• Like 3

SWL,

I am looking for the same thing.  A SS alternative to my Scott 222.  Looking at the Aegir and Freya+ Combo.  I listen to mostly low to moderate levels with my Forte II but do like to crank on occasion.  My Scott can blow me out of the room so i dont think I need much more than the Aegir.  Looking for the air and soudstage of tubes with a little tighter bass.  how do you like the Aegir vs the Vidar?

Thanks for your feedback!

• Like 1

Me personally.....I either listen really loud or really low. Two systems in the house, one gets cranked with a 500 watt Crown amp and the other with a 20 watt Scott 222c or now a 20 watt Aegir.

I really don't listen in between but that is where the Vidar would come in. My Crowns are animals and shine at flexing their muscles and the Vidar can't touch it. The Aegir like the Scott, excels at lower volumes and the midrange is so full and warm.

If I mostly listened at say 80-100 db the Vidar would probably be my choice.

I have two Vidars and I'm thinking I'll probably sell one of them. I do really like the Vidar so I'll keep one but like I said, the Aegir really shines at the levels I need it for (68-72db).

Vidar is tight and smooth. Aegir is full and warm......comparable to a tube amp.

Me personally.....I either listen really loud or really low. Two systems in the house, one gets cranked with a 500 watt Crown amp and the other with a 20 watt Scott 222c or now a 20 watt Aegir.

I really don't listen in between but that is where the Vidar would come in. My Crowns are animals and shine at flexing their muscles and the Vidar can't touch it. The Aegir like the Scott, excels at lower volumes and the midrange is so full and warm.

I have two Vidars and I'm thinking I'll probably sell one of them. I do really like the Vidar so I'll keep one but like I said, the Aegir really shines at the levels I need it for (68-72db).

Vidar is tight and smooth. Aegir is full and warm......comparable to a tube amp.

How do you compare the Scott to the Aegir? I once had Scott 222c and wouldn't mind another, but hate needing to make repairs on something that old.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SWL said:

Thanks for the feedback!  What speakers do you run on the Aegir and do you use your Saga preamp in that system?  Would you say the soundstage is more open/holographic on the Aegir vs Vidar?  Also, just curious what model Crowns do you have?  

How do you compare the Scott to the Aegir? I once had Scott 222c and wouldn't mind another, but hate needing to make repairs on something that old.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'd say that they are more alike than they are different.

Thanks for the feedback!  What speakers do you run on the Aegir and do you use your Saga preamp in that system?  Would you say the soundstage is more open/holographic on the Aegir vs Vidar?  Also, just curious what model Crowns do you have?  

Highly modified KLF-30's. I love the Saga preamp with a NOS Mullard 6SN7 on the Aegir. Soundstage and imaging is great with both the Vidar and the Aegir but I'd give the nod to the Aegir. The Aegir has more micro details with a fuller richer midrange. 'Holographic' is subjective in my opinion.

Crown amps are K2.

Also, forgot to mention that both the Aegir and the Saga benefited from some aftermarket power cables. My first time going down this road and the change/improvement in sound is undeniable. I haven't tried one on the Vidar yet, though.

22 minutes ago, SWL said:

Highly modified KLF-30's. I love the Saga preamp with a NOS Mullard 6SN7 on the Aegir. Soundstage and imaging is great with both the Vidar and the Aegir but I'd give the nod to the Aegir. The Aegir has more micro details with a fuller richer midrange. 'Holographic' is subjective in my opinion.

Crown amps are K2.

Are you running the k2's bridged, one per KLF-30? 

Are you running the k2's bridged, one per KLF-30? 
No I just have an extra K2. I run the K2 in stereo.....bench tested at 580 wpc @8 ohms by my tech. The 30's love it.

• Like 1

Just now, SWL said:

No I just have an extra K2. I run the K2 in stereo.....bench tested at 580 wpc @8 ohms by my tech. The 30's love it.

I too use a Crown K2 on my front speakers- Epic CF3's. I also think it a very nice amp, whether at low volumes or turned up a bit. 👍  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SWL said:

Also, forgot to mention that both the Aegir and the Saga benefited from some aftermarket power cables. My first time going down this road and the change/improvement in sound is undeniable. I haven't tried one on the Vidar yet, though.

Very interesting!  which cables did you get?  Thanks for the feedback. Was thinking about the Freya + but dont know that I need the extra inputs etc.  Might give the Saga a go.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...