Schiit Amps?

SWL

On 9/12/2021 at 1:34 PM, CoryGillmore said:

I have a question regarding running these Schiit amps in monoblock mode. Do you utilize both sets of binding posts on the amps when running them in mono? Or do you just run one wire pair to your speakers and use the jumpers on your speaker terminals? 

from the manual:

image.thumb.png.da6d9c619485ff6a77203d5f34ddb7ea.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
[mention=15340]SWL[/mention]  Well, with some months of listening time having passed, how are you enjoying those Schiit amps?  I still ponder getting one to try out.
I like em. For the money paid I think they're definitely well worth it.

For low-level listening I like the full midrange of the Aegir. It's comparable to my tube amps.

For a medium volumes I like the Vidar.

For when I wanna rip my face off I recently found that the Saga preamp with the tube buffer engaged with a Mullard 6SN7 mates REALLY WELL with a Crown K2. It cranks but maintains a smooth sound with a hint of tube action.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SWL said:

For low-level listening I like the full midrange of the Aegir. It's comparable to my tube amps.

For when I wanna rip my face off I recently found that the Saga preamp with the tube buffer engaged with a Mullard 6SN7 mates REALLY WELL with a Crown K2. It cranks but maintains a smooth sound with a hint of tube action.emoji106.png

Good to hear brother. I still don't know what the hell I want to get for my CWIVs....basically back to square one. I've been shopping integrateds lately. I still want American though so it's been tough. Looked at MAC5200 or whatever it's called, but the Rotel 1592MKII has my eye now, even though not American, still check all my boxes. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SWL said:

I just read recently that Schiit is coming out with another higher powered amp....maybe it's already out? Gotta look into it.

Yep, which is kinda what has me being hesitant. Thought I had my mind made up on Freya+ and 2 Aegirs. But I don’t wanna buy Aegirs if they’re about to drop something newer and better. Then I started looking at and considering integrateds, just for the simplification. 

20 hours ago, Area 51 said:

I don't know how new it is but the Ragnarok 2 is an integrated amp Schiit sells for $1499. Price goes up as you add modular DAC and/or phono stage.

I’ve definitely given the Rag 2 a few looks! I kinda just want something….fancier though I guess haha. I know…it’s sad. 

9 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

Yep, which is kinda what has me being hesitant. Thought I had my mind made up on Freya+ and 2 Aegirs. But I don’t wanna buy Aegirs if they’re about to drop something newer and better. Then I started looking at and considering integrateds, just for the simplification. 

I’ve definitely given the Rag 2 a few looks! I kinda just want something….fancier though I guess haha. I know…it’s sad. 

Yeah Cory,

Fancier? Hmmm ... I didn't know what I was getting into. I am reminded of a line from "Just The Wanting" by Walter Egan: "...and the joy is in the chase." I started with a Vidar thinking I could never need more power than that until I moved to a place where I can listen to any music any time as loud as I want whenever I want and I decided 2 Vidars in something called a "mono block" configuration - I had heard the term but didn't know what it was - would give me all I could ever want. But it didn't so I bought an Aegir and sent the high frequencies to the top of my Cornwall IIIs, using the Vidars for the lows. Now I'm full of Schiit (these amps are fed by a Freya +) and I acquired a pair of even more efficient, more sensitive Belles last month. An embarrassment of riches, to be sure. I'm thinking maybe more and more power isn't the answer and I have begun experimenting with some cheap low powered tube amps hoping I'll find something I'm apparently looking for ...  let me know when you get it figured out, huh? The joy is in the chase - isn't it?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

Cory,

Somewhat better known than Walter Egan: "and I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

You have my number. Tell me what you are looking for and what your room is like and I'll give you what aid I can. $700 amps can only go so far sometimes...as solid as they may be on paper. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the Walter Egan and U2 quotes were expressing a more general attitude: "I might be goin to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride."

And thanks for that offer. I probably will take you up on that. I'm not too proud to admit I'm still new at this. I'm actually still moving in and I have a lot to do before I can make a lot of critical judgements. I am, however, on the verge of ordering a speaker selector so I can more easily A - B some of my recent acquisitions and maybe off some of the stuff I don't "need". (Who am I kidding? Myself, of course. I am much better at buying than selling - and buying is more fun)! I would probably own those subs of yours if I hadn't just taken advantage of a sale at SVS. My acquisitive nature got the best of me and I am going to experiment with some tubeage in spite of the fact I suspect I will reach the same conclusions you said you did: it's a bottomless hole you pour money into. I'm not a huge Grateful Dead fan but I like "I might be goin to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride."

• 7 months later...
On 10/8/2021 at 5:20 PM, SWL said:

For when I wanna rip my face off I recently found that the Saga preamp with the tube buffer engaged with a Mullard 6SN7 mates REALLY WELL with a Crown K2. It cranks but maintains a smooth sound with a hint of tube action.emoji106.png

K2. 🙂

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 5:21 PM, jason.justice said:

anyone on this thread using a single aegir in a large size room with high efficiency speakers? i'm trying decide if single is enough for large room application. 

I have a single Aegir that I sometimes use in a 19X13 room with upgraded KLF-30's. For low to mid volumes it works well.