Schiit Amps?

SWL

When I was searching for a phono pre another old geezer who knows more about McIntosh than anyone I know told me to go with the Schiit Mani phono pre.  It's killer for $150.  He said it's the best bang for the buck on the planet UNless you're going w/McIntosh.  This dude KNOWS his Schiit too.  Go figure...

• Like 3

Congrats on your Schiit! I’ve been running a Vidar with Saga OG preamp for the past 6 months and really like them. I recently picked up a pair of kg4’s and enjoy how the amp and speakers sound together. 

My tip for buying Schiit: check out their clearance section on the website. There can be some pretty sweet deals on there for b stock items. 

• Like 3

How long before you compare the Vidar to tubes, or have you, can you... thanks.

Right after I got the Vidar I was (and still am periodically) using it with a tube preamp. It is awesome.....best of both worlds and by that I mean you get all the tube action in the mids-highs and best of all, the bass. Tight, snappy bass that has weight to it. I get great bass from my tube amps but not like this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I'm not running it with a tube preamp, I'm using it with a Schiit Saga. It's a passive preamp with the option of a tube buffer. I tend to prefer the tube buffer. I'd say that the tube influence is comparable to my tube cd player and my tube DAC. Just enough tube action to keep me hooked and yes, rolling tubes does change the sound.

I have two systems in my house. One is high powered for rocking out and the other is low powered more for critical listening. The Vidar is in the low powered system and works great for that. It can't compete with 500 watt Crown amps. They are animals...the Vidar is not. It is tight, accurate and smooth. Sophisticated at low volumes and that's why I like it for my needs.

So today I finally cranked it up with the Saga passive preamp. Very disappointing. Got nuthin'.......but that was to be expected. Like I said, that combo at low volumes is where it shines and it's sole purpose in my situation.

Then I paired a fully restored Marantz 3300 with the Vidar. Now we're talking. I didn't try to see how loud it could go but it did 100db comfortably. Not really the balzy sound I was expecting from the Marantz. Much more refined. There was a good synergy there.

• Like 2

Another thing I forgot to mention was that because of the tighter bass coming out of my speakers from the Vidar, it's like I got new subs. The subwoofer integration is even better than it was and it was seamless to begin with. I don't think I'll ever go without horn loaded subs.

Wonder when Schiit is gonna come out with one?[emoji39]

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the second Vidar today and have been listening for the last few hours and I'm really glad I got it.

I hesitated on running these as mono-blocks because I don't have a preamp with balanced outputs. I do have a couple Rolls Mb15b converters and use one in another system with great results but it's not a critical listening system.

Then I remembered a few years ago I did try it in my main system with a big Crown amp and it did work very good and was quiet. So I figured what the heck and gave it a shot with the Vidars.

I'd like to say that it is dead quiet but it's damn close. About as close as it can get. With my ear right up against the tweeter you can hear a faint air type of sound. No biggie and it's consistent with many of the amps I've ran before. Probably quieter than half of them.

So all good there.....wanted to mention this in case someone else is considering going this route. Tomorrow I'll get a chance to let er rip and possibly use the balanced outputs on my Modius DAC.

• Like 2

Well, I'm glad I'm not completely alone combining Schiit and Klipsch. I'm currently using 2 Vidars with a Freya+ to power my old Fortes and new Cornwall IIIs. I like that a lot.  I am experimenting with an Aegir for the Cornwall mids and highs. Any advice on how I might manage the discrepancy between the output of the Aegir vs. the output of the Vidars?  

Was I expecting too much? Have I made myself a victim of unrealistic expectations? It seemed like a match made in heaven. So far, I am somewhat underwhelmed. As a novice, I suspect I am not doing this right. I'm listening to cds on an audiolab transport. On to Bifrost DAC. On to the Freya+. Balanced outputs from the Freya+ to the Vidars. SE RCAs to the Aegir. 

Thanks in advance. I would appreciate any advice from my more experienced friends. 

@Area 51  Unless I don't understand what you want, you can use an electronic cross over.

Send signal from preamp or directly from a DAC to the crossover.  Then send an interconnect to each amp, one for subs and one for main speakers  It would cut off let's say 80-100 Hz and below to the main speakers.  Then the wires to each speaker.  I just ran stereo wires to my subs but some crossovers have a summing function.  I have a basic one it is kind of home made but has the Marchand XM1 modules in it(two for stereo)  This will basically turn your main speakers into monitors and cut off below whatever your crossover is set at.  I also think it makes the main speakers sound better.  This also reduced the load to the Aegir since the bass takes most of the power.  I use a Yamaha P2700 for bass so I am matching a 350 watt amp with a 25 watt amp

Marchand Electronics sells an analog crossover like I spoke of before.  You can get fancy and add room correction.  I did not go with room correction but instead treated my room with acoustic panels.  The crossover regardless of which one has gain control(volume?) to adjust the output of your amps and/or speakers.  These crossovers start at about $700 and are hard to get used.  Mine is called a 3 way I think.  I am not an expert but I think I described what I have correctly!!??  Some get rid of the crossovers in each speaker and try to run amps to each driver but I feel this is for experts.  You can get balanced crossover if that is how you are running your Vidars. 

PS I had an Aegir driving Cornscalas(pretty much same efficiency and size as Cornwall).  I really liked the sound.  A single Aegir would play quite loud.  However, I wanted to go further up the ladder and bought a Pass XA 25.  Now we are talkin' next level in sound and in price. 

Edited by DALEDEEE
  • Like 1

So recently I did a pretty significant purge of a lot of my unused gear and speakers. I liked the Vidar so much that I bought a second one for a backup if nothing else but also wanted to try them run as mono-blocks as well as powering my horn loaded subs just for the sake of experimenting.

On 12/20/2020 at 10:39 AM, SWL said:

So recently I did a pretty significant purge of a lot of my unused gear and speakers. I liked the Vidar so much that I bought a second one for a backup if nothing else but also wanted to try them run as mono-blocks as well as powering my horn loaded subs just for the sake of experimenting.

Well since I hooked them up as mono-blocks (400 wpc @ 8 ohms) I can't bring myself to take them out of that spot. Even though that system is for low-medium level listening, the extra power is much appreciated even at listening levels around 67-72db. Everything sounds more 'on point' with more resolve. Tighter, snappier bass with plenty of weight to it.

Been going back and forth between a tube preamp and the Saga passive pre. I almost exclusively use the Saga in tube buffer mode and after rolling several 6SN7's through it, the Mullard IEC 6SN7 just clicked and the rest is history.

I think that I may have heard them all the way from my house Scott!🤘

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's a good thing I still have my Crown amps.....[emoji33]

Today was the day I finally laid into these Vidar amps. Hooked up as mono-blocks, 400 watts @ 8 ohms into KLF-30's.

I started with the Saga+ preamp. Cranked that sucker and it sounded nice. Real nice. Too nice. I knew if I wanted to really flex some muscle I had to bring up one of my Marantz preamps. So the Model 3600 is my go to preamp for really rocking hard.

Hooked up the 3600 and immediately went to the hard stuff. Even went with some Infected Mushroom. Bass that has flung the clock off the wall plenty of times in the past.

That sucker was rockin at 110db. So clean and effortless. The Vidars were getting pretty warm but not quite hot after about three songs.

Then one of the Vidars went into protection. You gotta be kidding me? Well, it did what it was supposed to do.....

I don't think I've ever owned an amp that sounded so clean and smooth at 110db.

However, the next time I wanna crank Metallica north of 110db it'll be with my Crown amps. Never ending balls that sound anything but polite. Perfect for the heavy stuff.

So the Vidars are not party amplifiers but they damn sure are audiophile amplifiers and that's why I bought them. Clean, smooth and quiet. Love em. [emoji106]

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SWL said:

the Vidars are not party amplifiers but they damn sure are audiophile amplifiers and that's why I bought them. Clean, smooth and quiet. Love em.

bought a Vidar   Today  following your recommendation  , cant wait to get it and try it , if it's good , I will order a second one

• Like 1

bought a Vidar   Today  following your recommendation  , cant wait to get it and try it , if it's good , I will order a second one
That's cool.....with what speakers?