Cinema 600 Sound Bar Thread

Chief

Liking my soundbar. I played some HipHop to check some extreme bass levels and I must say, it shook a 12 x 20 room. Not what I normally listen to, but it will go there if you want it. It really shines when playing Europa by Santana or 2112 by Rush. All the music I listen to sounds good. I'm pleased  it outputs in stereo mode for music. I've had it a couple weeks. It replaced an older Samsung 2.1 that had poor dialogue. The dialogue with this one in Dolby Digital is nice and clear. There are also three adjustments to increase the dialogue if it suits you. The remote is kinda lazy and you have to point it right at the bar. Sometimes I press the volume down and it goes up. It has happened a few times and not enough to be irritating yet. It will power up from an "optical in" when I turn my TV on. It takes a few seconds, it's kinda lazy as well. It will power down when the TV is turned off. I got it for $299 and don't think I could do better for the price. It's hard to believe the sound from those little drivers. I will get the Surround 3's when there's a clearance on them. It's made in China.

Edited by Chief

• 1 month later...

I also just purchased the 600.  Very pleased thus far.  One complaint I was curious if others may have seen.  Volume increment is very big especially with Bluetooth.  When listening to Bluetooth, I can't get the volume where I want it.  It's either just too loud or just too quiet.

The sub is overkill for the bar IMO but I really wanted the 3.1 and love the extra 7 hz down bottom for explosions (compared to the Cinema 400).  I just keep it turned down.  I suppose it also allows you the freedom to not need to put it in a corner like I have had to do for other weaker systems.  Definitely fills my 1000 sq. foot open concept first floor well.

I recently purchased a Klipsch Cinema 600 as an upgrade to my older Klipsch RSB-11. I'm loving it so far! I came across an issue that I wonder if others have had. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my TV or with the internal processing of the soundbar itself.

While playing a 5.1 or 7.1 source via Plex, the side right and rear right surrounds sound very muffled and no sound comes out of the right channel at all. The left side and left rear surround channels play fine and the SB just upmixes them to the front left channel as it should (note - I do not have the optional satellites). It sounds like the SB it trying to play through the optional satellite speaker for the right channels, but I do not have these installed. The muffled sound appears to be coming from the subwoofer hitting on the higher end of it's frequency response.

This happens when I have TV set to Bitstream and Dolby Digital processing. I can change the TV setting to PCM and it fixes the issue above, but then I get no discrete LFE at all out of the subwoofer. I've tried this on both my ATV4K and Shield TV. I've also tried with an optical connection from the TV to the SB. The channels play correctly, but no sub volume via the LFE channel with any settings. I've tried forcing the ATV to 5.1 Dolby Digital instead of the auto settings - no luck. I've tried several audio formats including TrueHD 7.1 and DTS-HD MA 7.1 - no luck. I factory reset the soundbar - no luck.

Has anyone else had issues with this? This did not happen with the older RSB-11 (2.1 soundbar) and things worked fine. Is this a firmware issue with the SB? Maybe some weird incompatibility with my TV? Am I missing something really obvious?

Setup is:

- Apple TV 4K + Shield TV

- Samsung 4K TV (2017 model)

- Klipsch Cinema 600

- SB is connected via ARC to the TV

- Running newest firmware according to the Klipsch Connect app

• 2 weeks later...

I received the Cinema 600 for Christmas, ordered straight from Klipsch, and the subwoofer will not pair to the soundbar.  It's supposed to work out of the box, but it didn't - no sound at all from the sub.  The soundbar works great though.

So I tried several ways to fix it:

• "Reconnecting" per the manual, holding the Bluetooth button down on the sub for 3 seconds to put it into pairing mode and then the soundbar sub pairing button for 3 seconds.  The sub goes from 1 second interval flashing to solid blue after being held for 3 seconds. The sub never went into pairing mode with rapid flashing.
  • Unplugging both pieces for an extended period of time and seeing if it would reconnected on its own when powered on.
  • Moved both pieces away from all other electronics including my WiFi router.
  • Unplugged the soundbar completely and attempted to put sub in pairing mode - it still goes straight to solid blue after 3 seconds.  
  • Turned off all Bluetooth devices in my house.
  • Put SB into regular pairing mode and then tried connecting the sub.
  • Factory reset the soundbar.
  • Firmware is up to date per the Klipsch app.

I tried several other methods and nothing will work.  I found some complaints on Reddit about the same issue happening within the last week or so.  Some people said theirs randomly paired on its own after several days, others didn't provide additional info on a fix.  I submitted a ticket to Klipsch via email and have been on hold for 2 hours, but I'm afraid I won't get a response or pick up for at least another week.  

I've never had a Bluetooth device that won't go into pairing mode.  It seems like a major downside to having only a pairing button on the sub.  Has anybody else heard of this issue or solutions?

On 12/28/2020 at 11:23 AM, OwenWilsonsNose said:

I received the Cinema 600 for Christmas, ordered straight from Klipsch, and the subwoofer will not pair to the soundbar.  It's supposed to work out of the box, but it didn't - no sound at all from the sub.  The soundbar works great though.

So I tried several ways to fix it:

• "Reconnecting" per the manual, holding the Bluetooth button down on the sub for 3 seconds to put it into pairing mode and then the soundbar sub pairing button for 3 seconds.  The sub goes from 1 second interval flashing to solid blue after being held for 3 seconds. The sub never went into pairing mode with rapid flashing.
  • Unplugging both pieces for an extended period of time and seeing if it would reconnected on its own when powered on.
  • Moved both pieces away from all other electronics including my WiFi router.
  • Unplugged the soundbar completely and attempted to put sub in pairing mode - it still goes straight to solid blue after 3 seconds.  
  • Turned off all Bluetooth devices in my house.
  • Put SB into regular pairing mode and then tried connecting the sub.
  • Factory reset the soundbar.
  • Firmware is up to date per the Klipsch app.

I tried several other methods and nothing will work.  I found some complaints on Reddit about the same issue happening within the last week or so.  Some people said theirs randomly paired on its own after several days, others didn't provide additional info on a fix.  I submitted a ticket to Klipsch via email and have been on hold for 2 hours, but I'm afraid I won't get a response or pick up for at least another week.  

I've never had a Bluetooth device that won't go into pairing mode.  It seems like a major downside to having only a pairing button on the sub.  Has anybody else heard of this issue or solutions?

Immediately after posting this, I turned around and plugged the sub in as I had done about 50 times, and it connected for the first time within seconds. 

The Scenario: I moved both the soundbar and sub away from my TV/router/Xbox/Nintendo Switch that are all around my entertainment system to see if interference was the issue - although I had already tried this with every other device unplugged.  I wasn't having any luck, so I unplugged the sub to come write my initial post - it was solid blue after holding the pair button down but no sound.  Soundbar was left on in with Bluetooth input (blue light).  The sub was probably unplugged for at least 30 minutes, plugged it back in, it flashed a couple of times and went solid blue on its own within seconds.

I then figured now that the soundbar and sub recognized each other, it was worth moving back to my entertainment system, and it was.  The system sounds great.  I'm thinking that the first time I tried with my Wi-Fi router and other devices unplugged, I didn't let the sub power down for a few minutes before trying to pair.

On 12/30/2020 at 9:24 AM, OwenWilsonsNose said:

Immediately after posting this, I turned around and plugged the sub in as I had done about 50 times, and it connected for the first time within seconds. 

The Scenario: I moved both the soundbar and sub away from my TV/router/Xbox/Nintendo Switch that are all around my entertainment system to see if interference was the issue - although I had already tried this with every other device unplugged.  I wasn't having any luck, so I unplugged the sub to come write my initial post - it was solid blue after holding the pair button down but no sound.  Soundbar was left on in with Bluetooth input (blue light).  The sub was probably unplugged for at least 30 minutes, plugged it back in, it flashed a couple of times and went solid blue on its own within seconds.

I then figured now that the soundbar and sub recognized each other, it was worth moving back to my entertainment system, and it was.  The system sounds great.  I'm thinking that the first time I tried with my Wi-Fi router and other devices unplugged, I didn't let the sub power down for a few minutes before trying to pair.

I didn't expect to come back so soon, but my soundbar blew out on the entire right side last night after only a week of having this thing.  It was only at about 25-30% volume too.  Extremely disappointed with my experience so far.  I still haven't received a response from my initial subwoofer ticket to Klipsch either - it's been over a week.  I was also on hold for two hours last week before giving up, so I'm hoping my return/exchange goes more smoothly when I call this week.

Connected my new cinema 600 soundbar to older samsung tv using digital optical cable cuz tv doesn't have hdmi out.
Sounds great.
Each morning when i turn on tv, the soundbar turns on (good). But it has no sound cuz it defaults to using analog connection & has green light on. So every day i have to press the "Digital" button on remote to get sound.

Is there a way to default system so it powers on using the Digital connection, which is the only one I have connected?
It's odd to me that the soundbar powers up when it gets a signal from the TV over the digital optical cable...but then doesn't go into DIGITAL mode...wierd & annoying.

We got the Cinema 600 sound bar for Christmas and love it.  It’s connected via HDMI from a Sony X900H tv.  It works really well.

I like the virtual surround on so I always turn that on.  But I notice like then next day the SUR icon on the LCD is no longer lit,  DIALOG is still lit from the day before, so that setting is saved.  But why won’t it keep the surround mode?  Weird thing is that it sounds like it’s on, and I push the button and there’s a blip in the sound like it’s off then, but I push it again and there’s another blip in the sound but it sounds like it’s back on and now the ((SUR)) LED is lit.  If it was on before why wasn’t the LED on?

The only other thing I wish it had was more granular volume levels.  My TV skips numbers in its 0 to 100 scale and people are telling me this is because of the soundbar.  Maybe at night a 5 is too loud but if I push volume down it goes to 1, and that’s too quiet.  Maybe I wanted it at a 3 or 4.

Anyway other than that is awesome.  I’m curious what the surround sound speakers cost that you can wirelessly pair to it. 

Mine turns itself off every day when watching TV. Have to power it back on with the Klipsch remote - no other way works (paired Xfinity remote or the power button on the bar. Other than that (plus the volume step issues everyone else has) I am happy with the bar (especially the dialog quality).

On 12/30/2020 at 11:24 PM, OwenWilsonsNose said:

I have the same issue as this.
Do you keep connecting between devices without any problems since they were connected?
I still can't get my first pair.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:18 AM, TorinTPG said:

I recently purchased a Klipsch Cinema 600 as an upgrade to my older Klipsch RSB-11. I'm loving it so far! I came across an issue that I wonder if others have had. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my TV or with the internal processing of the soundbar itself.

While playing a 5.1 or 7.1 source via Plex, the side right and rear right surrounds sound very muffled and no sound comes out of the right channel at all. The left side and left rear surround channels play fine and the SB just upmixes them to the front left channel as it should (note - I do not have the optional satellites). It sounds like the SB it trying to play through the optional satellite speaker for the right channels, but I do not have these installed. The muffled sound appears to be coming from the subwoofer hitting on the higher end of it's frequency response.

This happens when I have TV set to Bitstream and Dolby Digital processing. I can change the TV setting to PCM and it fixes the issue above, but then I get no discrete LFE at all out of the subwoofer. I've tried this on both my ATV4K and Shield TV. I've also tried with an optical connection from the TV to the SB. The channels play correctly, but no sub volume via the LFE channel with any settings. I've tried forcing the ATV to 5.1 Dolby Digital instead of the auto settings - no luck. I've tried several audio formats including TrueHD 7.1 and DTS-HD MA 7.1 - no luck. I factory reset the soundbar - no luck.

Has anyone else had issues with this? This did not happen with the older RSB-11 (2.1 soundbar) and things worked fine. Is this a firmware issue with the SB? Maybe some weird incompatibility with my TV? Am I missing something really obvious?

Setup is:

- Apple TV 4K + Shield TV

- Samsung 4K TV (2017 model)

- Klipsch Cinema 600

- SB is connected via ARC to the TV

- Running newest firmware according to the Klipsch Connect app

I am having a somewhat similar issue.  I got the 600 because the wife would not allow another 7.1 set up in our new remodel den.  I will admit it sound better than expected and was really looking forward to getting the Surround 3's in the enhance the sound even further.  They came in today and I am thinking that the bar itself is having issues decoding.  When I have my TV sound setting set to auto detect I can get 5.1 surround when streaming through Netflix, HBO Max or Amazon Prime, but get nothing out of the surrounds when using the Dish App, other apps or Youtube ( I can get 5.1 on my traditional set up with a Yamaha amp on these platforms).  When I do a surround test through Youtube it get stereo and it doesn't matter if I go though the Fire Stick or the app directly though the smart TV.  When I change the TV settings to Auto Passthrough I do get sound through the surrounds, but it is not 5.1 it's stereo.  I have tried all sound settings on the TV - the two mentioned above, Dolby Digital, DD+, DD/DTS, DD+/DTS.  The only setting that gives me anything out of the surrounds when is auto passthrough or PCM.  NOt really sure what to do.  I have to bar connected through eARC.  I have tried changing the HDMI settings, sound settings on the TV and Fire Stick, re-pairing the speakers.  I am going to try to change to an optical cable next, but I really think it is a decoding issue with the soundbar.  Maybe they will come out with a firmware update soon.  I too have tried the Klipsch app and it says everything is up to date.  The app is pretty much useless.  I thought it was supposed to give you options for sound fields and adjustment, at least that what it says on the Klipsch website.  The only thing it really does is register your product and check for updates.

Set up:

TCL 65" Series 6 TV (2020)

Klipsch Cinema 600 - connected through eARC

Amazon Fire Stick

Edited by SALLEN

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a new soundbar setup and I'd just like to verify something with owners of this item. 

Specs say that it supports "Dolby Digital". Are they talking only the original spec, or are they including all versions thru TrueHD? If the former, it seems a bit odd for something of this caliber, and even more odd for the 5.1 version! And no DTS formats?

Thanks Much

SDLeary

On 1/20/2021 at 12:39 PM, SDLeary said:

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a new soundbar setup and I'd just like to verify something with owners of this item. 

Specs say that it supports "Dolby Digital". Are they talking only the original spec, or are they including all versions thru TrueHD? If the former, it seems a bit odd for something of this caliber, and even more odd for the 5.1 version! And no DTS formats?

Thanks Much

SDLeary

Apparently it only supports Dolby Digital.  I know for a fact is doesn't support DTS, but I knew that when I bought it.  I guess I assumed it supported 5.1 PCM and DD+, but was wrong.  I have the Surround 3's and I can only get 5.1 when using Netflix, Prime or HBO max.  I have tried just about every hook up and TV settings I can, but still cannot get 5.1 though certain apps even when the broadcast is in 4K.  I use the Dish Anywhere app a lot and can only get 2.0 stereo when using.  I can get sound to run through the Surround 3's when I set the TV audio settings to pass through or PCM, but it is just in stereo, not 5.1.  It's not the TV as I have auto detect, auto pass through, DD, DD+ and DTS setting on the audio out settings.  I tried them all.  I can get 5.1 / 7.1 on all apps including the Dish Anywhere app through Firestick  when using my tradition set up, so I know it is not the signal.  Really disappointing.  I will say the sound and clarity of the bar and surrounds are great, but if it only decodes DD and stereo then what the use.  Very disappointed.  Maybe they will come out with a firmware update to support more audio formats.  I pre-ordered the Cinema 1200 to get Atmos and was going to move this to the bedroom, but I am thinking I am going to cancel now.  

I absolutely hate this thing. When i originally got this thing in December it worked great.  I have it connected to my Samsung Q8 65" TV via HDMI ARC.  Twice now it has just randomly disconnected and now it will not connect back at all.  I can hook it up via bluetooth but I dont want to use it this way.

Anyone have any suggestions or seen this issue? 

Same issue as other stated.  Have the cinema 600 with the surround 3s.  Setup, 65” Philips android tv.  Optical connection.   Currently using PCM to get stereo output through all the speakers.  When switching to Dolby digital, my surrounds completely turn off.  Only time I notice them working correctly is when I’m watching certain dvds/blue rays.  Watching standard tv via roku, does not output 5.1 signal.  I’ve contacted klipsch via email two weeks ago, no response yet.  Received a general email from

klipsch last night,

Due to heavier than usual traffic, we are a little slower in our responses, but we have not forgotten about you! We will respond as soon as we can, and apologize for any inconvenience.

Hopeful for a firmware upgrade to resolve this issue soon.   

• 2 weeks later...

So, I still haven’t heard back from klipsch support. Gave up waiting.  Unfortunately, I’ve gotten used watching everything on stereo sound and therefore decided to order an additional subwoofer for the unit.  I just received in the r-12swi.  The sub has standard controls on the back, gain, low pass and phase.  Does anyone have experience with this and best way to adjust them?  TIA

On 12/18/2020 at 10:18 AM, TorinTPG said:

My setup is similar to yours.

• Samsung Q70R 4K TV
  • Apple TV 4K
  • Klipsch Cinema 600 (with Surround 3 speakers) connected to my Samsung TV via HDMI-ARC.

With all the devices you have it is important to know how they are all connected as each one has the potential to alter the audio format.

Lets start with what the Cinema 600 supports. Even this is not clear to me.

The Cinema 600 spec sheet states:

DOLBY AUDIO® BUILT IN
The built-in Dolby Digital processing enables powerful cinema experiences with discrete processing for dialog and (optional) surround channels. Hear your movies just like you would in the theater.

Dolby Audio is pretty general and there are several Dolby Audio formats.

Prior to getting the Cinema 600 I had (still do) a BAR 48.

The BAR 48 spec sheet states:

DOLBY AUDIO® AND DTS DECODING BUILT IN
The built-in Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS-HD processing enables powerful cinema experiences with discrete processing for dialog and (optional) surround channels. DTS Virtual:X-ready, the Bar 48 will later enable you to add height to your surround experience via a USB firmware update.

Here the specs are pretty specific about what formats are supported although I never could get any sound using Dolby Digital Plus. 

My TV supports these output formats and will allow me to choose them if the connected device supports them.

1. PCM - Stereo or Mono. [HDMI-ARC or Digital]
  2. Dolby Digital - maximum of 6 channels (5.1) but also Mono, Stereo, 3.1. [HDMI-ARC or Digital]
  3. Dolby Digital Plus - Supports #2 at a higher bit rate plus 7.1. [HDMI-ARC only]
  4. Dolby Atmos

With my BAR 48 I could select #1, #2, or #3, even though #3 wouldn't work.

With my Cinema 600, I am no longer offered #3 as an option so I must assume the Cinema 600 does not support Dolby Digital Plus and therefore does not support 7.1 inputs.

Based on the above, the best one can expect from the Cinema 600 is Dolby Digital 5.1 via HDMI-ARC or Digital inputs if the TV supports those connections.

If the source content is not Dolby Digital encoded some TVs may continue to provide a Dolby Digital encoded output with only one or two channel content. My TV will automatically switch to PCM. This will affect how sound is processed by the Cinema 600. You should verify how your TV behaves.

According to the documentation the Cinema 600 should

• Downmix 5.1 to 3.1 if the Surround 3 speakers are not connected.
  • Provide virtual surround.

Unfortunately, the manual does not explain exactly how virtual surround is supposed to work. The diagrams in the user manual do not include the subwoofer and, of course, there is no description provided so one can only speculate.

Once we factor in other devices and apps, things begin to get complicated. Apps may run on your smart TV, Apple TV, Plex, or other devices. Some apps, like YouTube, only provide stereo output regardless what a particular video purports to offer. On the other hand, with the appropriate subscription, the Netflix app is capable of passing through a Dolby Digital encoded output stream if one is provided in the video but that still doesn't guarantee the Dolby Digital encoded stream will reach your soundbar if the platform on which the app is running is unable to capture and process (or pass through) the Dolby Digital encoded stream from the app.

Klipsch has to provide better documentation and explain how these features are supposed to work. Only then can we know if the device is working as designed or if a specific behavior is the result of a defect. If we suspect a possible defect, as I would if the documentation is not specific, we need to open a case with Klipsch tech support to get the issue resolved.

You can find additional information about some of the Cinema 600 features here.

Edited by KevinB

On 12/13/2020 at 9:54 AM, Moxified said:

When listening to Bluetooth, I can't get the volume where I want it.  It's either just too loud or just too quiet.

With a Bluetooth connection the volume can be controlled from the source device so, for example, if your smart phone is connecting to your soundbar try adjusting the volume from your phone.