Cinema 600 Sound Bar Thread

Chief

On 1/9/2021 at 7:31 PM, JRyan said:

Connected my new cinema 600 soundbar to older samsung tv using digital optical cable cuz tv doesn't have hdmi out.
Sounds great.
Each morning when i turn on tv, the soundbar turns on (good). But it has no sound cuz it defaults to using analog connection & has green light on. So every day i have to press the "Digital" button on remote to get sound.

Is there a way to default system so it powers on using the Digital connection, which is the only one I have connected?
It's odd to me that the soundbar powers up when it gets a signal from the TV over the digital optical cable...but then doesn't go into DIGITAL mode...wierd & annoying.

Hey there. I note that someone posted a link to the user manual, which isn't a whole lot of help here. Did  you ever find a way to get your soundbar to default to "Digital?" I have the same issue. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

So I’m using HDMI-ARC from my Sonia Bravia TV to the 600, and it works. At least, it works for anything that is sending audio to the TV via HDMI to begin with. But apps on the TV itself, in its Android OS, nothing, no sound. I assume it’s because there is no HDMI original source for the HDMI-ARC to pass along. But that’s stupid, right?? Am I just doing something wrong? Is anyone else using the TV itself for the video/audio source, and hearing sound for the 600 connected via HDMI-ARC?

Edited by Toolman
Spelling

14 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I have the Cinema 400 and have no problem using HDMI-ARC and built-in apps.  

It's a buggy thing that doesn't always work for some people.  Most just use their TV's optical digital output. 

Thank you, Wuzzzer!

Edited by Toolman

On 7/11/2021 at 11:37 AM, Toolman said:

Is anyone else using the TV itself for the video/audio source, and hearing sound for the 600 connected via HDMI-ARC?

I am using the HDMI-ARC connection on my Samsung TV. I get sound from all the apps. I also have an issue where the Cinema 600 just disconnects from the HDMI-ARC channel. The only way to reestablish the connection is to remove power from the soundbar (i.e. not just turn it off)

Since you can get sound from your HDMI-ARC connection you know that the TV<->Soundbar connection is working. The Cinema 600 may encounter issues if the Sound settings for the for the TV are configured incorrectly. Check the TV manual or contact Sony for an explanation.

Sometimes an update to the TV firmware and/or the TV's apps might improve things.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all just got the klipsch cinema 600 to pair with my Epson TW5820 projector.
How do you guys who use a projector hook the cinema 600 up?
Currently, the bar is connected via ARC to my TV at the front.
The projector (long throw) is way at the back of the room with a google tv chromecast plugged into its one and only hdmi port. (no ARC).
There's a 3.5mm aux out jack which I have for now used a long audio cable to run across the room to connect to the aux in of the cinema 600.

So now I can only enjoy Dolby digital with my tv but not with my projector.
How would you guys recommend to have it also work with the projector?

The only options that i see now is:

1. Plug the google tv into the TV using a hdmi 1-in-2-out splitter. So 1 hdmi out into the TV, with the other hdmi out going to the back to the projector.
But this means when i watch my projector, my tv has to be switched on too for the hdmi arc audio to pass through to the soundbar.

2. Get an av receiver? this seems extreme. i wouldn't have gotten a soundbar if i needed this. 

3. Or am i overthinking this? The thinking is that i have to use HDMI to maximise the audio. Will optical be enough? Does cinema 600 support Dolby Digital plus? If not then optical will be the same as hdmi right since both can do dolby digital 5.1?

Overall I like the cinema 600's sound quality. But unfortunately, i think it's lacked down by its lack of output options and audio format supported. I wish it could do Dolby Digital plus.

On 8/9/2021 at 4:23 AM, wretchedworm said:

How do you guys who use a projector hook the cinema 600 up?

It's not just a matter of having a bunch of components and hoping they can be connected is such a way as to product the desired result. In your case you need to understand the capabilities and limitations of your soundbar, TV, and projector.

If you want to obtain the best sound from your Cinema 600, including surround sound from your Surround 3 speakers, you have two choices:

1. HDMI ARC
  2. Digital

HDMI ARC offers greater bandwidth and increased functionality. According to Klipsch Product Support, the Cinema 600 does support Dolby Digital Plus but I've never been able to get it to work. UPDATE (2021-12-04): Klipsch Product Support, states they were mistaken and that the Cinema 600 does not support Dolby Digital Plus.

I have a Samsung Q70R TV. Originally, I had a BAR 48 connected to it via the HDMI ARC connection. You can read about all the issues I encountered elsewhere in this forum.

The BAR 48 specs state the soundbar supports Dolby Digital Plus. My TV will allow me to select DD+ if the attached device supports it. When I selected it, the Bar 48 locked up. Long story short: After a year I received a Cinema 600 as a warranty replacement. Now it is connected to the same TV via HDMI ARC but my TV no longer gives me the option of choosing DD+. I had a case opened with Klipsch Product Support for twenty months and, despite many attempts, I still haven't been able to get an update on the status of this issue. 

Currently, the bar is connected via ARC to my TV at the front.
The projector (long throw) is way at the back of the room with a google tv chromecast plugged into its one and only hdmi port. (no ARC).
There's a 3.5mm aux out jack which I have for now used a long audio cable to run across the room to connect to the aux in of the cinema 600.

With no HDMI ARC nor Digital output from your projector there is no way it can provide a high quality audio stream let alone a Dolby Digital audio stream. Period!

So now I can only enjoy Dolby digital with my tv but not with my projector.

Perhaps...

Your TV supports Dolby Digital as does your soundbar but Dolby Digital supports several different formats besides 5.1 including 2 channel stereo. If you expect a 5.1 audio feed to your soundbar then all the connections from the source to the soundbar also have to support 5.1 audio. This includes any apps you may have on a smart TV.

The only options that i see now is:

1. Plug the google tv into the TV using a hdmi 1-in-2-out splitter. So 1 hdmi out into the TV, with the other hdmi out going to the back to the projector.
But this means when i watch my projector, my tv has to be switched on too for the hdmi arc audio to pass through to the soundbar.

Based on the information you provided, that's your best option to incorporate your Cinema 600 into your existing system. 

If your projector had a digital audio output it would greatly simplify things.

Is anyone else using the TV itself for the video/audio source, and hearing sound for the 600 connected via HDMI-ARC?

I do...

A lot of cable channels provide Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. If you don't have the Surround 3 speakers the best you can expect is simulated surround sound from the soundbar and subwoofer.

The first thing to do is to is to verify that the audio feed from your TV is Dolby Digital and not PCM. If that is set correctly the soundbar should have the DD light illuminated, at least on some channels.

I assume it’s because there is no HDMI original source for the HDMI-ARC to pass along. But that’s stupid, right??

As for the apps, it's complicated...

Read the TV manual or check with Sony customer support to verify what sound formats are available from the TV apps. For example, the YouTube app only provides two channel stereo regardless what a particular video claims to provide. 

• 3 weeks later...

I recently purchased ( 7/27/21 ) a Cinema 600 series sound bar and a Sony A8H Bravia OLED 55 inch TV. The TV and the Cinema 600 were installed last week ( 8/23/21 ). The dialog sounds great while watching media on cable. When I attempt to use the apps ( Netflix  or Prime ) the dialog is muffled. I have tried all dialog options on the remote, but not does help. I have to increase the volume to a high level to hear the dialog. I have spoken with the Klipsch customer service reps regarding this issue, it was suggested that the sound bar be replaced.  I questioned why the dialog volume is good while watching cable and not the apps? They were unable to answer why or if they felt confident, that a new sound bar would resolve the dialog issue. I requested to speak with a technical support person or manager. I appreciate you are willing to replace the sound bar, but the sound bar is attached to the bottom of the TV, which is mounted on the wall. I want to make sure this viable option, before I incur additional expenses to have the installation company return to my home and exchange the sound bar. 

Regards, Barry

5 hours ago, Barry W F said:

When I attempt to use the apps ( Netflix  or Prime ) the dialog is muffled.

Do you have the Surround 3 speakers installed and connected?

When using the apps, is the Dolby Digital light on the soundbar illuminated?

What is the audio output format from your TV: PCM? Dolby Digital 5.1? Does it change when using the apps?

Is the sound still muffled if you turn off ((SUR))?

Overall I like the cinema 600's sound quality. But unfortunately, i think it's lacked down by its lack of output options and audio format supported. I wish it could do Dolby Digital plus.

The Cinema 800 has two HDMI ports plus the HDMI ARC port. It supports passthrough, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, and more.  It sounds as if this might have been a better choice?

CINEMA 800 SOUND BAR

• 3 months later...

Hello!, i have noticed a very low noise like interference in the subwoofer (like "Shhh"), it is felt when you listen at a very low volume (close to the minimum) and there is silence in the room, it is even more felt if you approach the subwoofer.
I also noticed that noise is when the bar sends bass to the subwoofer, if it is not playing bass it does not make the noise. I bought 2 cinema 600s and they both make the same interference noise, so it doesn't seem like a unit defect.

I tried to unplug all the electrical equipment in my house (I even turned down the circuits from the central panel), including the wireless ones, just leave the bar and the subwoofer connected to the electricity, and the noise continues, so no It is an electrical problem in my house, nor is it wireless interference. Besides if the problem were electrical or interference, the noise would be all the time, and here the noise appears only when the subwoofer receives audio data, when the bar does not send sound signals the subwoofer is silent, so I interpret that it is a manufacturing failure in some component, or is it a defect of the wireless system with which it is necessary to live.

To hear the noise, 3 conditions have to be met at the same time that perhaps very few people meet them to notice it. The conditions are
1- Have the sound almost to the minimum (between 1 and 2 volume LEDs, Up to 3 volume LEDs can also be heard, after that level the sound already covers the noise).
2-The room must be completely closed and silent (no noise from the street or outside)
3- You have to be less than one meter from the subwoofer (or listen to it directly from the subwoofer output if you do not have a good ear) and play audio that dominates the bass, since if there is a lot of mids or treble they will cover the noise of the subwoofer.
I noticed the noise watching the movie BumbleBee, in the scene that the girl takes the car home and begins to examine it, it is a scene of silence where there are parts that contain only bass.
I'm sad because my 2  NEW cinemas 600 make the same noise in the subwoofer, and I really like the bar, and surely if I change it, it will also come with that problem, because the batch that arrived here in Argentina must all be with that fault.

Anyone with this problem?

Thanks for answering!

Edited by Christian Bonnet

1 hour ago, Christian Bonnet said:

I'm sad because my 2  NEW cinemas 600 make the same noise in the subwoofer, and I really like the bar, and surely if I change it, it will also come with that problem, because the batch that arrived here in Argentina must all be with that fault

Klipsch soundbars certainly have had more than their fair share of issues and, in my opinion, many are due to poor quality control.

If your issue is due to a hardware defect then I agree with your assessment of the situation. If it is due to a hardware design issue then it is unlikely to be resolved until the next generation of the soundbar becomes available, possibly a year or more from now.

It's possible your symptoms may be caused by a firmware issue. If that is the case it would surely affect all devices and may be corrected with a revised firmware. Please see this article:

Cinema 600 - How to Check Firmware Versions

If your issues persist with the latest firmware, your options are limited. The first thing Klipsch product support is likely to suggest is that you obtain a replacement from the retailer from whom you purchases it. If you decide replace your current soundbar(s) try to get one with a more recent serial number, if you can...

Hi Kevin, thanks for your answer, I bought the bars 1 week ago, they are new just arrived from the US and with the latest firmware version V31. I have read some comments about these problems in the subwoofers of the cinemas, some mentioned constant hums, here the noise is not a hum, but as a noise interference or static "shhhh". I think the fault or defect has 2 possibilities:
1-The noise is generated in the wireless transmission between the bar and the subwoofer.
2-Noise is generated by the Subwoofer amplifier when it outputs audio.
Now if it is a manufacturing defect or there are certain low quality components that generate the noise, I do not know.
As you say, if I ask to change the product I will have the same problem.
My options are surely that I get my money back and wait for a new model or keep it, try to forget this noise (now that I discovered it, I can't stop hearing it hahaha) and maybe wait for some firmware update and pray that the problem is solved and there is been because of the Software.
Which is strange to me that after 1 year and many amounts of 600 cinemas sold, people have not noticed. Perhaps it is difficult for all the people to live the 3 scenarios that I mentioned at the same time to discover the noise and not all have good hearing or they give little importance to the details or perhaps they think that it is normal.

32 minutes ago, Christian Bonnet said:

I bought the bars 1 week ago, they are new just arrived from the US and with the latest firmware version V31.

The information provided in Cinema 600 - How to Check Firmware Versions says the current firmware version for the Cinema 600 is v33. It would not hurt to do a firmware upgrade.

I downloaded V33 on September 3 but now I see that only v31 is available. You can check with Klipsch Product Support to find out what happened to V33. Perhaps it was pulled. If so, it is further evidence to support my opinion about their quality control.

if I ask to change the product I will have the same problem.

You may have the same problem. There is no guarantee won't.

My options are surely that I get my money back and wait for a new model or keep it, try to forget this noise (now that I discovered it, I can't stop hearing it hahaha) and maybe wait for some firmware update and pray that the problem is solved and there is been because of the Software.

You clearly understand your options. If the new firmware does not resolve your issues, I would seek a refund! 

Kevin, do you have a cinema 600 and did upgrade to V33? Did you ever hear this noise that I mention? or do you know of cases that have consulted it?
If I also saw in the klipsch support that in one place it says that V33 is the latest and in another the V31, but I only see V31 available for download.
I agree with you that quality control is lacking. It has been a year since the product went on sale promising the functions of the Klipsch Connect APP and they still do not fulfill their promise.

@Christian Bonnet

Two years ago I purchased a BAR 48 and Surround 3 speakers that had just recently become available. Almost immediately I encountered issues. Not knowing where to turn I posted my concerns in this forum and found other customers having similar issues. I found the Klipsch support web pages but it contained very little information about any soundbars so I opened a case with Klipsch Product support. Over the course of a year I documented about a dozen issues and shared my experiences with other community members. About a year after my original purchase I was offered a warranty replacement which had more issues than my original one. Other customers had a similar experience.

In January of this year the Cinema 600 became available and I was offered one to replace the defective BAR 48 warranty replacement. Of course, I accepted.

The Cinema 600 was a big improvement. All the issues I had with the BAR 48 appeared to have been resolved but there were still a couple of show stoppers.

1. The BAR 48 advertised support for Dolby Digital Plus but I never did get it working. The Cinema 600 was supposed to resolve that issue but didn't. Later I was told it didn't provide support for DD+. 😒
  2. About once a week it would lose its connection with my TV (HDMI-ARC). I could only restore the connection by removing the power and reconnecting it.

This behaviour continued for about eight months. In September, v33 of the firmware was released and I installed it September 3rd. A couple of weeks later, the soundbar would no longer power on at all. It was bricked! Perhaps that is why firmware v33 is no longer available. I don't know. 

On November 1 my Cinema 800 arrived and, yes, there are issues. I have added my comments to this thread:

Do I have the bitter honor of having the first dead Cinema 800? It begins...

18 hours ago, Christian Bonnet said:

Did you ever hear this noise that I mention? or do you know of cases that have consulted it?

I use my soundbar primarily when watching loud movies. I haven't listened closely in a quiet setting so I haven't noticed your issue. Since Klipsch provides little information about what issues a firmware update is supposed to resolve, you'll have to contact Klipsch Product Support and ask if v33 might resolve your issue and when it might again be made available.

If you learn anything, please share with the community.

Hello, how are you! I kept doing some tests and I think I got a more decisive conclusion:
At certain times when playing audio, putting play and pause continuously, the noise in the subwoofer has a lag before stopping when there is no sound or bass, so it gives me to understand that the noise or internal interference comes from the wireless connection between the subwoofer and the bar.

"I clarify that it is an internal wireless interference of the cinema 600 because I already verified that it is not a problem in my house, neither my electrical network or my wireless equipment"

And recently I tried to enter a video on youtube for example: play / go back several times, until in one of those repetitions the sound stopped, but the noise in the subwoofer did not stop, I raised and lowered the volume of the bar and the noise continued. I put mute and the noise continued, I put "Night" mode that supposedly deactivates the Subwoofer and the noise continued, so this reaffirms that the wireless connection between the subwoofer and the bar was truncated and with it the noise in the SUBWOOFER.

Then I changed the source and the noise went away.
I think the problem is in the wireless components between the subwoofer and the bar or a software level wireless deficiency between them.
So I think the problem is:
1- Poor quality or poor wireless components in the subwoofer / bar or both.
2- Some of the two wireless components is faulty (this seems strange to me because it happens to me in the 2  Subwoofers of 2 cinema 600 that I bought 2 weeks ago)
3-Wireless problem / deficiency in the Software.

I think the problem is most likely point 1 "bad quality / poor wireless components".

At least Here in Argentina, only a new 10"Klispsch subwoofer it costs about 30% less as the cinema 600 bar + sub 10", so there must be some difference in component quality for both products to come out at no so diferent prices. when one is only a subwoofer and the other is a complete audio system with a subwoofer of similar characteristics.
I will continue investigating, and when a software update comes out, maybe we can reaffirm or rule out that the problem was point 3.
I hope to help or that others can comment on their experiences or if they perceive this interference noise in the subwoofer.
Greetings!.

Edited by Christian Bonnet

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2021 at 2:54 PM, Christian Bonnet said:

I will continue investigating

After having had four Klipsch soundbars (three different models) and helping out in these forums for the past two years this is what I can conclude:

• Most of the issues I have observed or that have been discussed in these forums appear to be due to poor quality control and/or poor design. As such, many of the same models currently stocked by retailers may experience the same or similar issues.
  • Klipsch Product Support has recommended that any customer experiencing issues with their soundbar first try to return it to the retailer from whom it was purchased. If it is beyond the time period when the retailer will accept returns, and it is still within the warranty period, the customer can request a warranty replacement from Klipsch but that can take many weeks. Based on my own experience and that of others posting in these forums, there is no guarantee that the issues one is experiencing will actually be resolved with the replacement. In some cases the replacement may actually exhibit additional issues.
  • Klipsch won't comment on the issues that have been reported and I have been unable even to get an acknowledgement let alone a progress report on the issues reported in the case I have opened but I still believe it is important for all of us to provide as many details as possible to Klipsch about the issues we encounter. Almost all the issues I encountered with my BAR 48 and reported to Klipsch appear to have been addressed in the Cinema 600 and Cinema 800. 🙂

I'm happy to see that each new soundbar generation has fewer issues and more features than the previous one but I'm disappointed that owners of a current model may not find a replacement completely free of issues.

• Like 1