Cinema 600 Sound Bar Thread

Chief

@Larry1974GD

Re: Audio Quality

There is a lot of information about things that can impact audio quality if you search online. There is no way this issue can be explained in a few paragraphs here. 

The sound levels you obtain when using an analogue or Bluetooth input depend on the source. If the sound from the soundbar is not loud enough, increase the sound level at the source.

Again, audio quality also depends on the source material. If you are listening to old MP3 files, it doesn't matter what type of connection to the soundbar you have, the audio quality will be poor.

Most TVs will pass through audio from one of its inputs to the HDMI-ARC as-is without converting it so while the HDMI-ARC (or eARC) has a much higher bandwidth than other connections and can support higher quality audio, it can't improve or change the audio quality it sees on its other inputs.

If you are listening to audio only from external sources, you are better off connecting those sources directly to your Cinema 600 using the Digital (optical) input if you can. If not, use the analogue or Bluetooth inputs.

You will get the best audio quality from your TV using the HDMI-ARC connection. This will allow you to use your TV's CEC functions to turn the soundbar on/off and control the volume using the TV remote. 

The Cinema 600 supports "Dolby Audio" but there are many types and only the most basic one, Dolby Digital, is supported. Dolby Digital can provide 5.1 surround sound via the HDMI-ARC or Digital connection but it cannot be considered high quality audio. Dolby Digital Plus can provide "CD Quality" audio but only via HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC. Unfortunately, the Cinema 600 cannot decode Dolby Digital Plus.

If you want higher quality audio and higher sound levels from your Surround 3s, you might want to consider a Cinema 800.

• It will work with your existing Surround 3s.
  • It has two HDMI connections on the soundbar so you will not be restricted by any limitations your TV may have.
  • It supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, Dolby HD, and more.
  • It supports HDMI-eARC so if your TV also has HDMI-eARC your soundbar will be able to process higher quality audio from your TV.

Dolby Atmos provides precise positioning of specific sounds: front to back; left to right; up and down. The Cinema 800 does not support any up/down positioning and there is no way to connect additional speakers needed for full Atmos positioning but it does support Dolby Atmos, provides better positioning of sound than does Dolby Digital and provides much higher quality audio.

I hope this helps...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

hi everyone I am writing to you from Italy I wanted to ask you if any of you could help me found the original firmware of my klipsch cinema 600, when I bought it the version of my firmware was 65.0.0, now I find myself the 31.0.0, I would like to return it to the original firmware version, can any of you help me? thanks a lot to anyone who can help me.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 5:23 AM, Francesco88 said:

when I bought it the version of my firmware was 65.0.0, now I find myself the 31.0.0

Read this:

Cinema 600 - How to Check Firmware Versions

v31 is the current version. I don't remember what version was installed prior to v31 but it was most likely a number smaller than "31". I don't ever remember seeing a v65 firmware for the Cinema 600.

Update 2023-01-04: Klipsch has reorganised the support pages. Most of the old links are broken.

These are all the support articles for the Cinema 600.

Edited by KevinB
Broken link
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 7:37 PM, JasonMCG said:

Update: My local Best Buy had a Cinema 600 in stock so I went ahead and purchased it since I suppose I can't learn my lesson and I desperately want Klipsch to be my brand, having used them almost exclusively since the early THX Promedia days.

That is 100% me too! I want to believe...

• 3 months later...
On 10/17/2022 at 2:33 PM, Danielino said:

Hi, my soundbar is new with firmware v31 but I have a Cinema 600 sub with firmware v33. Firmware v33 also updated the subwoofer. Now I am no longer able to pair because there is no procedure to downgrade the sub.

Hi @Danielino, welcome to the Klipsch Community forums.

A new Cinema 600 soundbar comes with a new subwoofer. Both should have the same firmware.

Firmware v33 was an upgrade to v31 that Klipsch has since pulled from their website. I installed the V33 firmware on my Cinema 600 and a couple of weeks later it died so I'm not surprised it was pulled.

How do you know your subwoofer's firmware was updated? I don't remember there being a way to see what firmware version the subwoofer might be using. Even if your subwoofer was attached to a Cinema 600 whose firmware was upgraded to v33 it does not necessarily mean that the subwoofer's firmware was altered. 

A more plausible explanation is that the subwoofer is defective. There have been a number of issues affecting Cinema subwoofers as you can see from these Klipsch articles:

Cinema 600 - Subwoofer - Woofer Removal

Cinema 600 - Subwoofer - Amplifier Plate Removal

On 6/15/2022 at 12:01 AM, KevinB said:

@Larry1974GD

Re: Audio Quality

There is a lot of information about things that can impact audio quality if you search online. There is no way this issue can be explained in a few paragraphs here. 

The sound levels you obtain when using an analogue or Bluetooth input depend on the source. If the sound from the soundbar is not loud enough, increase the sound level at the source.

Again, audio quality also depends on the source material. If you are listening to old MP3 files, it doesn't matter what type of connection to the soundbar you have, the audio quality will be poor.

Most TVs will pass through audio from one of its inputs to the HDMI-ARC as-is without converting it so while the HDMI-ARC (or eARC) has a much higher bandwidth than other connections and can support higher quality audio, it can't improve or change the audio quality it sees on its other inputs.

If you are listening to audio only from external sources, you are better off connecting those sources directly to your Cinema 600 using the Digital (optical) input if you can. If not, use the analogue or Bluetooth inputs.

You will get the best audio quality from your TV using the HDMI-ARC connection. This will allow you to use your TV's CEC functions to turn the soundbar on/off and control the volume using the TV remote. 

The Cinema 600 supports "Dolby Audio" but there are many types and only the most basic one, Dolby Digital, is supported. Dolby Digital can provide 5.1 surround sound via the HDMI-ARC or Digital connection but it cannot be considered high quality audio. Dolby Digital Plus can provide "CD Quality" audio but only via HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC. Unfortunately, the Cinema 600 cannot decode Dolby Digital Plus.

If you want higher quality audio and higher sound levels from your Surround 3s, you might want to consider a Cinema 800.

• It will work with your existing Surround 3s.
  • It has two HDMI connections on the soundbar so you will not be restricted by any limitations your TV may have.
  • It supports Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, Dolby HD, and more.
  • It supports HDMI-eARC so if your TV also has HDMI-eARC your soundbar will be able to process higher quality audio from your TV.

how to measure a subwoofer Dolby Atmos provides precise positioning of specific sounds: front to back; left to right; up and down. The Cinema 800 does not support any up/down positioning and there is no way to connect additional speakers needed for full Atmos positioning but it does support Dolby Atmos, provides better positioning of sound than does Dolby Digital and provides much higher quality audio.

I hope this helps...

My name is zak and I am writing from Italy. I would appreciate it if you could help me locate the original firmware for my Klisch Cinema 600. I purchased it with a firmware version of 65.0.0, but now I have 31.0.0, which I want to return to the original firmware version. Can you help me? I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Edited by zakchary1

7 hours ago, zakchary1 said:

I would appreciate it if you could help me locate the original firmware for my Klisch Cinema 600.

Hi Zac,

My only suggestion is to contact whomever provides Klipsch support in Italy. Klipsch has removed all firmware for the Cinema series soundbar from their website. Furthermore, downgrading firmware is not supported and could damage your soundbar.

• 2 months later...

Was just wondering if I need to use an 8GB usb to do the firmware update? I can no longer access the post. I’m going through the troubleshooting process with tech support on my cinema 600. It won’t turn on, sub is not receiving a signal, and the power cord is reading 120v. I have my doubts about a firmware update doing anything. This whole thing seems to have started when I downloaded the Klipsch app and updated the firmware. And comments or suggestions accepted!

20 hours ago, MRM said:

Was just wondering if I need to use an 8GB usb to do the firmware update?

Klipsch has always said to use an 8 GB thumb drive formatted as FAT 32 to update the firmware. 

The Cinema series soundbars are fussy about the USB storage used to update firmware. Drives larger than 8 GB are problematic. Even the way the drive is formatted can prevent a successful update. If your update fails, try formatting the drive with a single non-bootable FAT 32 partition using RUFUS.

Of course you can try any thumb drive you like, especially if you don't have an 8 GB drive. It won't damage your soundbar and it may even work. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't.

• Like 1

I just got the Cinema 600, no surrounds, a few things:

1. The subwoofer is great, but had to turn it way down for my taste.

2. My LG TV seems to have the Dolby Digital Plus HDMI option when connected to the 600. I've left it to Auto, and it plays DTS discs without any fiddling.

3. I'm trying to save on power costs so I switch off the 600 at the plug, and I wish the LED brightness and Surround mode settings would persist, it's a bit of a pain to have to set them every time. I've submitted a request to Klipsch for this.

4. The Surround mode doesn't do much? Or do I need to listen longer?

5. Tidal through the LG TV app sounds great, but not quite gapless.

6. Bluetooth streaming sounds better than expected, they should have added aptX support at least though.

Edited by Mohsin
Correction

4 hours ago, MEH Synergy said:

Nothing that one be concerned with? Almost nothing at average listening levels me thinks. We are taking about what, PEAK a few amps at most? You need not switch off anything, relax, you are worried about $2 per month.  

Thanks, it's otherwise great, Tidal streaming through Bluetooth sounds really good, at the HiFi setting.

19 hours ago, Mohsin said:

I just got the Cinema 600

These are all the support articles for the Cinema 600.

My LG TV seems to have the Dolby Digital Plus HDMI option when connected to the 600. I've left it to Auto, and it plays DTS discs without any fiddling.

This is the Cinema 600 spec sheet. It is safe to assume if the spec sheet doesn't specifically state that a particular feature is supported then it isn't supported. Dolby Digital Plus provides higher quality audio than does other Dolby Digital modes but the Cinema 600 does not support and cannot process Dolby Digital Plus. None of the Cinema series soundbars support DTS.

I'm trying to save on power costs so I switch off the 600 at the plug

The power that the soundbar consumes depends on the audio output levels. When sitting idle it consumes very little and almost nothing if you just turn it off. There is no need to unplug it.

The Surround mode doesn't do much?

Read the support articles to better understand how it works.

13 hours ago, MEH Synergy said:

Nothing that one be concerned with? Almost nothing at average listening levels me thinks. We are taking about what, PEAK a few amps at most? You need not switch off anything, relax, you are worried about $2 per month.  

Thanks, it's otherwise great, Tidal streaming through Bluetooth sounds really good, at the HiFi setting.

1 hour ago, Mohsin said:

Excuse me, but the firmware is updated through the Connect App?

I don't see an option to update my Cinema 800 firmware on my Connect App...

Firmware is updated manually using a USB thumb drive. 

You need to contact Klipsch product support to get the latest firmware. They will provide detailed installation instructions along with the firmware.

11 hours ago, KevinB said:

I don't see an option to update my Cinema 800 firmware on my Connect App...

Firmware is updated manually using a USB thumb drive. 

You need to contact Klipsch product support to get the latest firmware. They will provide detailed installation instructions along with the firmware.

Actually there is a firmware update option in the app, see the following shots which includes my firmware version (65):

Screenshot_20230105-104227.thumb.png.51ca087163c92680ef20f8ee23e2e8c3.pngScreenshot_20230105-104300.thumb.png.c55a498e9fde4bf7b6cb17ff9a6cb6da.pngScreenshot_20230105-104320.thumb.png.8037fe53d7dacbf3c591a92ac7deb83f.png