Big 10 Lies of Audio that refuse to die

ClaudeJ1

43 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Most of that is complete and utter bulls$&t.

I wish I could get my click back.

Shakey

As your comment is ambiguous to what 'that' refers to, i.e. the lie OR debunking the lie, I would say your comment is utter bulls$&t too!

😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Most of that is complete and utter bulls$&t.

I wish I could get my click back.

Shakey

You posted this two hours ago.  It's currently 7:06 A.M. so you were rummaging around around 5:00 A.M. EST.....  this is what happens when you rummage around at this time of night.....  nothing good happens after midnight.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Coytee said:

You posted this two hours ago.  It's currently 7:06 A.M. so you were rummaging around around 5:00 A.M. EST.....  this is what happens when you rummage around at this time of night.....  nothing good happens after midnight.

I get up at 4:00 am every morning to go to the gym before work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ILI_MeloManiac said:

As your comment is ambiguous to what 'that' refers to, i.e. the lie OR debunking the lie, I would say your comment is utter bulls$&t too!

😉

Let's see if I can be a little less ambiguous. 

1,2,4,6,7,8 are not lies and don't need debunking. When you see this type of drivel, it usually comes from people who have never heard a high quality, well set up two channel system in a good room.

To go a step further, most things in audio are subjective. So how can you call it a lie if I can hear it but you can't? I'm lying? It's all conjecture based on opinion, mine vs yours (I don't necessarily mean me and you, but anybody vs anybody).

Clear enough for you?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Night? I'm up at 3:30 every day, might sleep in until 530 on Sunday..

23 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Night? I'm up at 3:30 every day, might sleep in until 530 on Sunday..

Shhhh.....  "just between you & me", I'm also up around that same time (3:30/4:00) AND I include weekends.  This is how I know nothing good goes on after midnight.  I can't say HOW I know....

• Haha 2

The one I wonder about is golden ears mainly in the sense that there are things I didn't and still don't fully understand. For example, when someone says something sounds balanced. What does that mean? What am I listening for if I'm critiquing something? I was told that when something sounds balanced, it basically means nothing stands out more over the rest. The other way I could do this is just say heck with it, I'm enjoying the music and it doesn't matter. But, if someone is evaluating something, in my opinion, I think it can sometimes be helpful if a reliable source tells you something isn't balanced and that's just one of many subjects regarding the sound of something yes? If a sound engineer understand sound, then doesn't that help them record music? 

35 minutes ago, angelaudio said:

What does that mean?

I don't profess to know the answer to your question......but I once screwed up my wiring and wired my CD player directly into my amp.  Until I figured things out, I was amazed at how much more (and this is the only way I can describe it)....how much more "liquid" it sounded.  Yeah, I get it....  what does that mean.

Only to say that removing everything else created a nicer sound however, I needed the preamp and couldn't use my CD player alone.

Showed me that there IS a silver lining out there somewhere....  but I don't lose sleep trying to find/chase it.  In fact, if you came and listened to my system today, it's just like I set it up.  No room tweeks, no sound analysis....  something that's on my list to do....but it still sounds very good and I've got other sticks in the fire so I enjoy what I have.

Same here, I put the MCMs in the corners and hooked up some equipment to them, very little else. Other than an EQ, I haven't needed to tweak anything. I would like to refresh the xovers, but like you, I have too much to do. 

I will say that it was a real upgrade when I switched to Dave's LMAHL tweeters. 

We're really layering the crap on Claude's thread.

Don't get me wrong....it's good crap...  (did I really just say that?)... I need to shut up & get to work!!

Oh, and to add yet more on top....  we got communication from the "Powers above" that we/I can expect to be released to do in person visits for work next June.  Meanwhile, it's work from home.

3 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Same here, I put the MCMs in the corners and hooked up some equipment to them, very little else. Other than an EQ, I haven't needed to tweak anything. I would like to refresh the xovers, but like you, I have too much to do. 

I will say that it was a real upgrade when I switched to Dave's LMAHL tweeters. 

I agree that Dave's Lmahl tweeters were fantastic upgrades that made my Fortes sound so much better. Hence Dave's Smahl Tweeters for my Super Heresy mods

• Like 1