KLF-20 Toe In

slovell

I've got my KLF-20s toed in but I'm wondering if I should have them straight ahead? I recently installed the LMAHL tweeters and they brightened them up quite a bit. Would pointing them straight ahead lessen some of the brightness and shoutiness of the horns? I already have Bob's crossovers with his bandpass for the titanium mid that I put in them. I also wonder if the LMAHL tweeter is a  mismatch for the crossover? They sound really good with movies but with music they're more shouty and bright than they were before I put the LMAHLs in. Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, or advice?
Thanks,
Sam

6 hours ago, slovell said:

I've got my KLF-20s toed in but I'm wondering if I should have them straight ahead? I recently installed the LMAHL tweeters and they brightened them up quite a bit. Would pointing them straight ahead lessen some of the brightness and shoutiness of the horns? I already have Bob's crossovers with his bandpass for the titanium mid that I put in them. I also wonder if the LMAHL tweeter is a  mismatch for the crossover? They sound really good with movies but with music they're more shouty and bright than they were before I put the LMAHLs in. Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, or advice?
Thanks,
Sam

for the great majority speaker off axis response is terrible. If you saw the off axis response of your loudspeaker and was told that this was how the speaker sounded you would not be interested in buying the speaker yet this is how most choose to set up their loudspeakers. Beats me. I choose to use an equilateral triangle set up and achieve very good results.

• Like 1

Maybe I should try toeing them in a bit more. The way they are now the triangle would come to a point 2 feet behind my listening position. Also, due to the shape of my room the right speaker is about 1.5 feet from the side wall and the left is about 6 feet from the other side wall. They're both 18 inches out from the wall behind them. It's not a room that's very good for stereo, but it is what it is.

I generally find with an equilateral triangle set up that the speakers end up pointing somewhere between my shoulders and my head. If your driver baffle layout is not symmetrical you can also experiment with tweeters to the inside or to the outside. I also set up my stems with the centre of the did driver centred on my seated ear height (this usually is around 38" - 41" up off the floor). I hope this helps.

I've got my KLF-20s toed in but I'm wondering if I should have them straight ahead?

that is something you will have to try on your own since you are the one that hears them.

some speakers benefit from toe in and some dont......and you have to make small adjustments, listen and maybe leave it that way for a day or two and then try again.

how are the room treatments ?         if no room treatments, i would seriously consider adding some as that can help a lot.

also have to look at equipment.....and cables as that will have an effect on the sound as well.

7 hours ago, fred jones said:

that is something you will have to try on your own since you are the one that hears them.

some speakers benefit from toe in and some dont......and you have to make small adjustments, listen and maybe leave it that way for a day or two and then try again.

how are the room treatments ?         if no room treatments, i would seriously consider adding some as that can help a lot.

also have to look at equipment.....and cables as that will have an effect on the sound as well.

Dynaco ST70 amp, all Jolida preamp, phono pre, and CD player. BJC cables.

• Like 1

I still want to try a couple of Mogamis. My RCA plugs will be here tomorrow, should have them built Tuesday. I've got all BJC in my system and I'm very happy with them but I'll try the Mogamis just to see what they'll do. Can't hurt anything.

• Like 1

Try it all, parallel, crossed behind you, at your head, in front...  That's the fun with this hobby; small changes may have big effects.

CF2's in my house have a 'head in a vice' tiny sweet spot when they're parallel/straight ahead.  I have mine toed-in so they cover almost the whole sofa area and am finding the sound to be very even everywhere.

• Like 3