KLF-20 Toe In

slovell

25 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I let my LMAHL play for a few days, without listening to them. Since then, I have only enjoyed their sounds.

I've had them in mine for a while now. It's not that I don't like them because I do. They sound very good indeed but they seem to overpower the mids a bit. I've got an inch of foam lining the  2/3 of the cabinet (bare around the ports) and maybe I should remove some of it and let the LMAHLs and the mids resonate a bit. It just seems like the 20s have lost something, could be several things doing it. I've made several gear changes lately.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slovell said:

I've made several gear changes lately.

Adding more variables makes it tougher. I really hear a large improvement in the tweeter duty with the LMAHL. My first thought was xover, but you addressed that. I really like my SS gear and looked at your sig to see what you might try. 

The LMAHL's DE10 has a 107db efficiency and the KLF20 has 100db. As mentioned in the "Read This Before Install" flyer in the box you might need to add an L-Pad to make things more balanced. I run across the same thing when tinkering with making wood horns with 1.4" and 2" throat drivers much more efficient than my 904 bass bin test bed and have to use an L-Pad to balance things out. One size can fit all but might need help to do so. There is an L-Pad recommendation on the flyer and a wiring diagram also if you need it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I haven't fiddled with them in a while, been busy building Mogami headphone cables and Deuland DCA16GA interconnects. I bought two L-Pads to give me some adjustment for the LMAHL tweeters but haven't installed them. I can't seem to talk myself into drilling holes in the cabinets to mount them or putting them in the circuit between the tweeter and the crossover. L-Pads are essentially a rheostat and, imho and correct me if I'm wrong, have to introduce some noise into or alter the circuit in some way. Been thinking about taking the LMAHLs out and putting my titanium K-79-Ks back in for a while for a comparison. Honestly, I just don't really know what I want to do. I think being cooped up for nine months hiding from Covid is beginning to wear me down and not how I envisioned retirement.