Speaker Suggestions for 3.1 System

greyblade

Hello Everyone,

I'm in the market for some new speakers. I am currently am only running a Front L/R and center setup because I recently moved to a townhouse, but I may be moving again soon to a house house.

My current setup is:

2x Polk Monitor 70 Series II Towers

1 x Polk CS10 center

1 x Denon AVR-887

I was going to get a new Receiver this year, but apparently all the ones that support HDMI 2.1 have a flawed chip and won't be fixed until next year. So I'm holding off on replacing that until then. I'm also not in the market for a subwoofer or surrounds yet since I am still in my townhouse although suggestions are welcome.

I was looking at picking up a pair of RP-8000F for my front L/R and an RP-504C for my center. My budget overall is 2-3k for just these 3 speakers. I thought about getting the RF-64ciii as my center and the two RP-8000F towers and just upgrading the towers over time.

I am not a home theater savant by any means, so I'm sure some of my choices are poor. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I have the RP-5000f paired with the 404c in a game room, and I also have the RF-7 iii's  with the RC-64c iii for my HT. I think they are all great speakers.  While the 404c sounds great, you know the sound is coming from a speaker. With the RC-64 it seems as if the person is standing there in front you speaking.  I think your idea of getting the 8000f with the RC-64 would work well. Most of the sound of any movie is coming from the center channel.  Having a beefier center channel is only going to make it sound better.  

Your AVR is just fine for now, no need to replace it.  I have the 502s for surrounds and think they sound great. When you really want to get into wall-shaking sound, add some 15" subs.

The price difference between the 8000f and the RF-7 iii is just crazy.  Sometimes, I wonder if it is really worth it.

On 11/14/2020 at 4:40 PM, wuzzzer said:

I have never had one personally but I've never heard anyone say a single negative thing about them. 

Thanks for the feedback!

On 11/14/2020 at 4:49 PM, billybob said:

Welcome to the forum...

Thanks!

22 hours ago, Duncan said:

I have the RP-5000f paired with the 404c in a game room, and I also have the RF-7 iii's  with the RC-64c iii for my HT. I think they are all great speakers.  While the 404c sounds great, you know the sound is coming from a speaker. With the RC-64 it seems as if the person is standing there in front you speaking.  I think your idea of getting the 8000f with the RC-64 would work well. Most of the sound of any movie is coming from the center channel.  Having a beefier center channel is only going to make it sound better.  

Your AVR is just fine for now, no need to replace it.  I have the 502s for surrounds and think they sound great. When you really want to get into wall-shaking sound, add some 15" subs.

The price difference between the 8000f and the RF-7 iii is just crazy.  Sometimes, I wonder if it is really worth it.

I really appreciate the detailed response. I'm looking to eventually replace the AVR so I can run all my HDMI 2.1 cables through it and then to my TV. I also need one....because I lost that little thing that adjusts the sound. I'm no master at amps either. Would one be beneficial for this setup you think? I've always just wanted to drive everything with one AVR for sake of space, but if need be I shall do it.

Thanks

4 hours ago, greyblade said:

I really appreciate the detailed response. I'm looking to eventually replace the AVR so I can run all my HDMI 2.1 cables through it and then to my TV. I also need one....because I lost that little thing that adjusts the sound. I'm no master at amps either. Would one be beneficial for this setup you think? I've always just wanted to drive everything with one AVR for sake of space, but if need be I shall do it.

Thanks

If you're talking about adding an external amplifier, it's never a bad idea to get a receiver with pre amp outputs so you have that option should you choose to. 

I have the Marantz SR-8012 with140 w/channel which replaced a Yamaha RX-770 with 95 w/channel.  With any of Klipsch speakers I have, I honestly don't notice any difference. There might be a difference if you are going to push the speakers to its limits, but at normal listening levels, I can't tell. Your Denon AVR should work just fine for now in my opinion.

If the OP wants HDMI 2.1 eventually, then I would just wait.

If someone was looking to buy an AVR right now and wanted quality with a reasonable price, I'd recommend the Denon X6700H.

Edited by Duncan