Parental Phrases

oldtimer

• Moderators

My dad always got to the point, when young he picked me up and held me against the wall after talking back to my mom. All he said was if you talk back to your mother again I will kill you, he them lowered me back to the floor. I paid attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdnfay1 said:

when your mom is (calling) yelling for you using your middle name.....uh oh!......Harcourt Fenton Mudd

Yep, and if you hear someone on TV referred to like that, he's usually a crime suspect.  I got it a few times from my mom.

When my dad would come in and see me sprawled out on the couch like a typical teen, he'd say, "Straighten up!  You make the room look untidy!"  Okay, he was in the Army, but come on.

When I didn't want what mom made for supper it was a couple of different phrases. 

1.  Think about all the starving kids in Africa.

**I can't tell you how many times I suggested they should send the food there and help out those kids.

2.  You're going to sit there until your finished, even if it takes all night.

** Never ate it anyway, but there were some late nights.

Needless to say, I got my *** beat more than once and saying "that didn't hurt", "are you done yet" or "is that all you got" never shortened the duration, but eventually broke their will. LOL

I also learned how to cook at an early age to have some options.  

"Wait till your father get's home!"

There was another take on this she used that involved a belt.

One of the few things that really, really got through to me, though, was my father saying to me" when you think things are bad for you, take a look around, there's always somebody whose got it much worse". We were in a store at the time, I'd been having some difficulties of some sort, but he caught we looking at a very crippled up poor soul, shrugging off his pain and making his most difficult way through the aisle.

It was a combination of my respect for that man's fortitude and courage, and the fact that my father had seen a lot worse that I would ever see, that made it stick.  Let's face it we all get down from time-to-time, it's part of life, but if , when that happens, I chance to think of those words, my attitude really turns around. A lasting guidance from a man gone these almost 40 years.

Oh and then there was the admonition about finishing the beets on my plate, which I  , and my siblings, would try to hide under the mashed potatoes. How did that go...?

On 11/22/2020 at 7:54 AM, DizRotus said:

My mother used to say, “I NEVER talked to my mother the way you talk to me.” To which I replied, “I never talked to your mother that way either; your mother’s very nice.”

Ha!!!  You were already talking like a lawyer before you even left the nest.

• Like 1