ALK CSW vs CSW-450

mopardave

@mopardave on Oct. 17, 2009 ALK provided details on the CSW ... here's the link to the thread

The short answer is the CSW is first order 6 dB/Octave.

I modified an original CSW to be ... my version of CSW-450 (no where near as elegant as an original from Al ... the audible difference was more clarity and separation as one would expect and perhaps somewhat driven by my own bias in wanting to hear it that way. 

My CSW-450 clones were for Heresy (turned Super Heresy).  One small problem was that I had to extend the original board to increase the space to accommodate the extra capacitors and inductor.  This made it hard to situate the extended crossover inside the Heresy cabinets.  I set them in the bottom.  Not so good as this puts the inductors near the woofer magnet, but I had changed the woofer to a B&C 12CL76 which uses a neodymium magnet which has a tighter magnetic field.  It took me a while to "dial in" the crossover using both the tweeter L-pad and the autotransformer taps, but I got the sound I wanted and it is very nice.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

The CSW450 was designed for me by Al. For a bit I was selling them. The CSW was aimed at taking a AP12-500 and an AP15 and marrying onto a single board. It’s a 12bd 2nd order on the LF. It’s a great crossover. I used to run AP12-500/ ES5600 the. The CSW450 and now the CSW.  For my smallish roll the CSW plays better at my listening levels.  
Of note. As with ALL AP crossovers. It’s optimized/set for the inductance and capacitance of the K33/15C woofer. If not using this woofer the CSW may make more sense.  
Al has optimized a AP12-800 for me the uses the 12LFA.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justinsweber said:

The CSW450 was designed for me by Al. For a bit I was selling them. The CSW was aimed at taking a AP12-500 and an AP15 and marrying onto a single board. It’s a 12bd 2nd order on the LF. It’s a great crossover. I used to run AP12-500/ ES5600 the. The CSW450 and now the CSW.  For my smallish roll the CSW plays better at my listening levels.  
Of note. As with ALL AP crossovers. It’s optimized/set for the inductance and capacitance of the K33/15C woofer. If not using this woofer the CSW may make more sense.  
Al has optimized a AP12-800 for me the uses the 12LFA.  

Sounds like the 450 may have been a better xover for my combo.  I also read there is a super AA and a super AA-X.   Know anything about these A's?     Can these A's be used in a Cornscala?

20 hours ago, MC39693 said:

@mopardave on Oct. 17, 2009 ALK provided details on the CSW ... here's the link to the thread

The short answer is the CSW is first order 6 dB/Octave.

I modified an original CSW to be ... my version of CSW-450 (no where near as elegant as an original from Al ... the audible difference was more clarity and separation as one would expect and perhaps somewhat driven by my own bias in wanting to hear it that way. 

My CSW-450 clones were for Heresy (turned Super Heresy).  One small problem was that I had to extend the original board to increase the space to accommodate the extra capacitors and inductor.  This made it hard to situate the extended crossover inside the Heresy cabinets.  I set them in the bottom.  Not so good as this puts the inductors near the woofer magnet, but I had changed the woofer to a B&C 12CL76 which uses a neodymium magnet which has a tighter magnetic field.  It took me a while to "dial in" the crossover using both the tweeter L-pad and the autotransformer taps, but I got the sound I wanted and it is very nice.

Hope this helps.

Yes, that does help and it's the clarity i'm looking for.