DAC/Streamers, Streaming, Networked Music Systems

rplace

Not everything works with everything in the streamer world unfortunately.  I would suggest as option-1, use Volumio to stream tidal and other sources to a raspberry-pi that sends the digital stream to your Yamaha.  i.e. use the Sabre DAC builtin to your Yamaha.  If you buy a separate streamer/dac combo, it will send analog via rca to the yamaha which will reprocess it through its DAC anyhow.  Note I don't have any experience with Volumio but it seems like it would meet most of your needs.

option-2 would be to look at Roon to manage your library and streaming sources (tidal, internet radio) and then stream directly to the Yamaha via Airplay - or down the road get the bluesound which is roon-ready.

just brainstorming here - and looking for ways to save money and unnecessary steps by using the Dac inside the yamaha.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave MacKay said:

I'd concentrated more on the HiFiBerry options.

Raspberry Pi 4 + HiFiBerry DAC Will for sure get you going along with Volumio. Lots of love for the various Bluesound Nodes. $500 is really not that much. Guess you will have to decide what having millions of songs at your fingertips is worth.

Have you looked at Sonos? They have a wonderful app that is super easy to use. But you have to "buy" into the Sonos ecosystem which is not cheap. There are tons of Sonos Connects and Amps on ebay cheap, very cheap. You should read up on Gen1 and Gen2 systems. Connect and Amp from Sonos lets you add  your own speakers to their system. They support Tidal.

• Thanks 1

Today I bought a Bluesound Node. It was CAD$699, which was in line with what a DIY Raspberry Pi-based solution would have cost. 

I've had the biggest grin all day from listening to Tidal on it via Tidal Connect. The sound is spectacular! 

I'm happy I bit the bullet and got it. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dave MacKay said:

Today I bought a Bluesound Node. It was CAD$699, which was in line with what a DIY Raspberry Pi-based solution would have cost. 

I've had the biggest grin all day from listening to Tidal on it via Tidal Connect. The sound is spectacular! 

I'm happy I bit the bullet and got it. Highly recommended.

congrats  on your Node- I enjoy the Bluesound Node very much - access to so much music

• Thanks 1

Has anyone compared Volumio on Pi to Bluesound? I am currently running Volumio on an older Pi and find it to be glitchy. If Bluesound doesn't have that issue, is ROON ready with the ability to stream Tidal, then I don't see spending $500 on a Bluesound that bad.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

So ROON cost is as follows

$9.99 a month if I bill annually, so $119.88 a year

$12.99 a month if billed monthly

Or $699.00 for a lifetime? 

Then if I want to add Tidal, that is an additional $19.99 a month (I was thinking it was $14.99, maybe it went up)

I don't have to run Tidal, but I also don't have to run ROON.  I could do one or the other or both.  First step is to get my media in order, going to work on the NAS this weekend. 

As Thaddeus had mentioned, if I am already paying for Plex Pass for movies, why not just use it for music?

I can start a new thread if needed, but figured since this was related to the topic I'd try here first.

Over the weekend I've managed to get TrueNAS loaded and running. I've created a pool for Plex media (it's not working correctly, but that may a different discussion, maybe not?)

Anyway, is anyone else running TrueNAS and if so, how do you have your file structure setup for ROON as well? In other words, do you have a completely different pool to point ROON core to versusthe one you have setupfpr Plex? Not a computer guy, just a dabbler, so I may not be understanding all this correctly.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm not a TrueNAS user but I don't think that should matter. I use PLEX for locally stored movies and Roon for locally stored music.

Big picture wise, you should have all your media on the same network. The various "players" need to be on same network too. Configure each player to find the desired media in it's location. 

If you are only talking music files you should not need to do anything differently between the two. You for sure don't need two copies for everything if that is what you are asking.

• Like 2

Still having some issues with file sharing on the NAS, that may take some time to figure out.  But for now, I have ROON downloaded to my current PC which seems to be working.   Once I get the file shaing on the NAS figured out, I will explore more, but for now my PC should have enough space to handle the music I store on it. 

Below is a screen shot of my audio path.  One thing I noticed that seems to be different is the sample rate conversion. Could this be due to processor of pc or the Shield?  Later today I am going to repair the network line to my Marantz and see if anything changes.  

Where is everyone downloading hi res audio from, Hi RES or HD Tracks? Would either work or is one better than the other for any reason?

image.png.eb1d48dcc3a43f2efe5fd15769747d79.png

Yes, Airplay streaming supports max 44.1/16 and then is handing it off to the DAC in your Marantz.  Roon is down-sampling to 44.1/16 using the DSP - SRC filter you have selected for the Marantz.  There are four to choose from in Roon.  I'll be damned if I can ever tell a difference so I just go with precise-linear-phase.  I'll be damned if I can tell a difference between 96/24 and 44.1/16 streaming either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pbphoto said:

I'll be damned if I can tell a difference between 96/24 and 44.1/16 streaming either.

I know I probably wouldn't either, I guess you can say its like OCD issue, I know its there, so I want to think I can hear it.  I'm not giving up yet, but am going to wait until I have some other network issues resolved and a better PC to run ROON Core.  Once I do that i will give ROON another try.  

• Like 1

On 2/13/2022 at 12:30 PM, Kalifornian said:

The DAC in my Marantz SR series receiver sounds awesome with my Klipsch forte iii.  

Yea, BUT......

HEOS, unfortunately, pretty totally sucks.  It does sound pretty awesome when I can get to a good quality FLAC file but that is problematic.  What are you using as an interface between the NAS and the AVR???  I'm investigating how to tag and "serve" the file to the renderer.  Plex has drawbacks.  I have a Synology DS-218 with 3TB of music files in mp3 and FLAC on a 6TB RAID and I have yet to find a way to scroll and choose  that is not painful.   Media Monkey and other software to tag.

Edited by Kryten79
clarity