DAC/Streamers, Streaming, Networked Music Systems

rplace

On 2/21/2022 at 12:19 AM, Kryten79 said:

Media Monkey and other software to tag.

Just like Roon I resisted for a while and regretted it. I knew Beets was the way to go but did not want to jump through all the hoops. I'm hoop jumping these last several days and all I can say is WOW. So powerful and so many ways to use it.

https://beets.readthedocs.io/en/stable/index.html

Start at about the 3:50 mark

On 2/8/2022 at 4:51 PM, rplace said:

Are you at all handy...like, can you snap Legos together? If so I'd suggest a PicanPi streamer and Volumio. 

First Up - Volumio

https://volumio.com/en/get-started/

IT ONLY TAKES 10 MINUTES FOR GREAT SOUND
Install Volumio on microcomputers such as Raspberry Pi or ASUS Tinkerboard, and control it directly on your phone, computer or tablet.

As for the PecanPi they sound awesome with dual Burr Brown DACs and a linear power supply...just slightly out of your budget. So for about 1/2 the price you can build  your own

Right out of the box ready

Networked music player with DAC and headphone amp
Ultra-high fidelity, plug-and-play, ready-to-go, high-resolution music streamer with built-in DAC and headphone amplifier. Control music wirelessly using your phone, tablet, or computer. 

Ready to play in minutes

https://orchardaudio.com/pecanpi-streamer-1

Or roll your own...same DAC you just have to assemble the parts

https://orchardaudio.com/shop/ols/products/pcnp-dac

@orchardaudio is a member here I'm sure he would be happy to advise via the Contact Us link from his site.

Read up on those and see if it does not make more sense. 

Thanks for the mention, if anybody has questions feel free to ask.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:16 PM, The Dude said:

is ROON ready with the ability to stream Tidal, then I don't see spending $500 on a Bluesound that bad.

Instead of Volumio use Ropieee (www.ropieee.org). That will gives you a very good Roon endpoint.

The PecanPi DAC is Roon Tested by the way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of Volumio use Ropieee (www.ropieee.org). That will gives you a very good Roon endpoint.
The PecanPi DAC is Roon Tested by the way.
From what I read, Ropieee requires a better version of Pi, I'm currently using my Pi 2b. Finally got ROON running as a bridge and now considering a different DAC, will look at PecanPI.

It appears that at some point, the signal is down sampled, than sampled up again. Does this make since?

Oh yeah I'm trying ROON again as I recently picked up a NUC to run core. Now that my internet connections are fixed and my computer is processing correctly, things seem to be taking shape.
4c4de79f8a0c4999f824ae8bc68e7070.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It appears that at some point, the signal is down sampled, than sampled up again. Does this make since?

Yes, it appears like it is downsampling from 96/24 to 48/16, but first it increases the bit depth from 24 to 64 to help with the math accuracy.  I'm guessing volumio accepts 48/16 max?  

Just ordered the DAC+ for my Raspberry. From what I read it specs higher than the UFO202. I don't need anything crazy for the Raspberry system as it primarily handles zones around my house.

I'm hoping someday to either add a stand alone streamer like one of the Bluesound Nodes or maybe a 4k player that's ROON ready.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 6:20 PM, rplace said:

Rock is free. You probably only need an i5 NUC, but I like overkill. Should be less than $500 complete

When I got my Pontus ii I hooked it up via USB to my i7 windows 10 Roon core, and it sounded good. I then took my old i5 NUC and installed Roon Rock (as an end point), and hooked the Pontus ii up to it and it sounded better! I was surprised and found out others have had a similar experience and they said it was due to less threads running on Linux vs Windows 10.

• 2 months later...

Since ROON released ARC I decided to play around at work with my headphone setup.  Currently the phone is connected via USB to the DAC, DAC to Schiit Magni, and head phones are Hifiman HE400Se's.  I'm not sure how long the phone battery will last as it is the main source of power for the Schiit Modi.  Sound is good, but there is a lot of down sampling due to the phones capability.  

The fact that I am able to listen to music that is stored on my hard drive is pretty cool.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am going to skim back through this thread for an answer, but could someone explain this this statement?  I thought Hi-res was Hi-res.  From how this read, it makes it sound as there are different types of hi-res audio.

Qobuz allows its users to directly stream hi-res music without using MQA, while Tidal supports MQA in their High-Res audio quality option.

@RealMarkDeneen the link below is more geared towards disproving the quality of MQA, from what I gathered from the first paragraph (which also explains some of the last statement I posted) MQA appears to be Tidals way to "unfold" the encoding.   MQA may be worth the extra sound quality, but im not a fan of proprietary software, hardware or methods for that matter.  I see some benefit to Tidal, but if I can get the same quality from Qobuz without the need of device or software to "unfold" the last part of the signal, then I may consider Qobuz over Tidal. 

https://hackaday.com/2021/04/21/mythbusting-tidals-mqa-format-how-does-it-measure-up/

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

could someone explain this this statement?  I thought Hi-res was Hi-res.  From how this read, it makes it sound as there are different types of hi-res audio.

There are many ways to Store Data that use differing Protocols that yield different file sizes.

Just because your file size is larger, doesn't mean that your end usage will yield a better experience.

While poor resolution choices can degrade source materials, just because you add more resolution does not guarantee that the source material will improve.

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I use Qobuz

They seem to be more straight forward, download what we have available and use how/where you like.  I like buying from Hdtracks as I can store on my NUC and hard drive then access via ROON.  But I am looking for something more portable.  ROON offers ARC, but I would like to have better play back via Android Phone, that's what took me to MQA as it seems there are programs that bi pass Androids lack of capabilities.  Does Qobuz have this ability?