DAC/Streamers, Streaming, Networked Music Systems

rplace

What ability?

You can buy DRM free albums from Qobuz in several formats and store locally, yes. You can also take advantage of the Roon partnership and anything you "favorite" with the service will appear inline with your library. There's also the ability to browse Qobuz curated playlists, search for albums/artists, etc directly within Roon. The only time I use a Qobuz app is when I'm mobile.

5 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

the only time I use a Qobuz app is when I'm mobile.

I assume play back is only as good as the phone is capable.  

5 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

What ability?

I was under the impression TIdal/MQA on the phone had better play back with the right DAC as it can unfold which allows an android phone to have better play back than hi res from any other source. 

Playback is usually only as good as your network connection to your mobile device.  The Qobuz app, and others, give you options to set maximum streaming resolution to your phone depending on whether you are on wifi or using cellular data.  I think most phones support 192/24 with their native dacs but then you can, as you mention above, feed the digital stream through the phone to an external dac.

As far as MQA goes, that's a solution in search of a problem IMHO.  Getting the right version/mastering is much more important that the resolution or audio format.  Reminds me of DiVX from the 1990s.

Roon Arc has been pretty awesome so far.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Couple newer ROON ready devices that might be a good option. 

The Amazon link doesn't state ROON ready, but ROON's Facebook page announced that it was.

WiiM Pro AirPlay 2 Receiver, Chromecast Audio, WiFi Multiroom Streamer, Compatible with Alexa, Siri and Google Assistant, Stream Hi-Res Audio from Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal and More https://a.co/d/hNZcpRS

This may be a little more upscale, but that's for the end-user to decide. 

NAD CS1 Endpoint Bluetooth Network Streamer https://a.co/d/66uJFIT

• 7 months later...