Speaker placement advice

Madman1

So I’m purchasing a new house that is in the final stages of being complete and fortunately I will have a dedicated stereo room. Unfortunately it’s a bit odd shaped and may take some trial and error on speaker placement. Take a look at my drawing and pics to see what you think. Also I have Forte ii, chorus ii and Chorus that I can use. Also have tubes and ss gear but prefer to use tubes. Ceilings are pretty low and  odd shaped as well. Thanks for your input and please restrain from your critique of my drawing it’s not to scale and I’m no architect. 

295682A0-21A8-4612-B0DE-2E73487F64B5.jpeg

4963E79C-5E5A-41AA-B411-F50F41143A10.jpeg

27D7F3AB-6D77-4B40-90C5-B95534095CE9.jpeg

D801E681-950E-47AF-9DD9-8E493464259C.jpeg

776A200D-A8FD-40E3-87C2-74AA48541608.jpeg

Since You posted in the 2-channel forum i suppose You will listen stereo only? I would place the speakers across from the 7ft space with the windows and see how that sounds. What furniture will go into the room?

(Your drawing isn´t bad at all.)

I would put them on the short wall with the main door and fire them down the 16 ft. length of the room. Put your equipment rack on the side wall with long speaker cables. Then wherever your listening chair lands, you would still have plenty of room to access the bathroom door behind you.

If you flip them around, I'm afraid that alcove will cause a channel imbalance that would be hard to overcome.

Shakey

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AndreG. said:

Since You posted in the 2-channel forum i suppose You will listen stereo only? I would place the speakers across from the 7ft space with the windows and see how that sounds. What furniture will go into the room?

(Your drawing isn´t bad at all.)

I'm not a fan of having windows directly behind speakers. And I don't like what that alcove might do to the sound either. I would avoid it from a speaker placement or listening position option.

56 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I would put them on the short wall with the main door and fire them down the 16 ft. length of the room. Put your equipment rack on the side wall with long speaker cables. Then wherever your listening chair lands, you would still have plenty of room to access the bathroom door behind you.

If you flip them around, I'm afraid that alcove will cause a channel imbalance that would be hard to overcome.

Shakey

i agree with that -- seems like the best option from a sound point of view.

Ok, I was afraid you’d say that. My initial idea was to sit just at the beginning of the opening of the window area and put the speakers on the 16 ft wall. I can make the entrance wall work it’s just not gonna look quite so nice. 
oh and yes, this is strictly for 2 channel listening. 

8 minutes ago, Madman1 said:

Ok, I was afraid you’d say that. My initial idea was to sit just at the beginning of the opening of the window area and put the speakers on the 16 ft wall. I can make the entrance wall work it’s just not gonna look quite so nice. 
oh and yes, this is strictly for 2 channel listening. 

your thoughts would be my second choice -- it'll certainly look much better that way.  the only issue with that is the alcove which will mess with things sounding the same from both speakers.

give it a shot and see how it works out -- you can always change things around if you don't like it!

1 hour ago, mikebse2a3 said:

From an acoustical and visual perspective my first choice would be the 16ft wall.

I would start with the speakers close together and gradually adjust the spread wider looking for the best tonal balance. 

Will you be using acoustical treatments..? 

miketn

I will be doing some acoustic treatments, a couple panels and some bass traps. I’m sure it’ll be some trial and error.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Full Range said:

You can use a speaker placement calculator to give you a fairly good idea of the best placement spot and then tweak if required 

I would however consider some form of room treatment as well for your non standard shaped room 

http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/

Thanks for that, I’ll definitely throw some figures in and see what it spits out.

• Like 1