La Scala aa vs al3 cross overs

Alexander

I have run 4 different networks in my Indy LS's.   Two custom builds from Dean, which one remains installed and a stock A and what they came with, which is the AL3.   Nothing wrong with the AL3 at all.  I would say if you listen at high levels, go the AL3 route with some choice caps.   If you listen at low to moderate levels, go with an A setup which will give more spill to all the drivers.

Dreaming again, but wouldn’t an AL-5 upgrade kit with the crossover, mid driver, and new tweeter be the ultimate present to Klipsch fans?

I’m pretty sure I could make the new tweeter fit, or at the very least sit on top.

We could turn a $1200 pair of beaters into $12,000 contenders.

I saw a picture of CW IV crossover. Very nice, long way from the terminal strips, autoformers, and motor run caps. Roy did a great job on those. 

Deang or another crossover person can build something close. Air core chokes, nice film caps, good layout to prevent the chokes from singing to each other. ALK sells these for a living.

Also did not know the midrange compression driver changed. Thought is was still from Atlas. The Atlas is made in the USA and has an Alnico magnet. Hard to top that combo. But price looks to have gone up. Crites also carries has an updated version. 

But those factory crossovers look fine even with cheap film caps. They do not drift or dry out. 

Tweeter is easy update from Bob Crites or DaveA. Both have excellent drop in replacements. 

You may be 300.00 or so from a poor man’s AL5.

• 1 month later...

Hello

could someone tell me what is the impedance of the speakers used with the AL-3 crossover.

i recently build a pair of clones of la Scala with Peavey FH-1 cabinet, Eminence kappa 15C, Atlas sound pd-5vh and B&C de10-8 drivers.

It doesn't sound good.  It seams that the crossover is not good between the squawker and the tweeter. Something is missing in this range.

The Eminence woofer is 4 Ohms, atlas sound pd-5vh is 16 Ohms and DE10-8 in 8 Ohms.

The crossover is the klipsch original AL-3.

Do you think this crossover can work with these drivers ?

Should i replace the diaphragm of the B&C DE10 with 16 ohms ones ?

Best regards

10 hours ago, SpeedLimit said:

Hello

could someone tell me what is the impedance of the speakers used with the AL-3 crossover.

i recently build a pair of clones of la Scala with Peavey FH-1 cabinet, Eminence kappa 15C, Atlas sound pd-5vh and B&C de10-8 drivers.

It doesn't sound good.  It seams that the crossover is not good between the squawker and the tweeter. Something is missing in this range.

The Eminence woofer is 4 Ohms, atlas sound pd-5vh is 16 Ohms and DE10-8 in 8 Ohms.

Best regards

- Posted wrong info. deleted. 

13 hours ago, SpeedLimit said:

Hello

Best regards

You may have a couple of things going on.  The AL-3 was designed for the K-55M, which is a little hotter than the Altas.  I think that's why the AL-3 uses the T4A autoformer.

It looks like the DE10-8 has 107 dB sensitivity, as opposed to the K-77's 104 dB.  I wonder if it would sound better if you pad down the DE10-8 3-4 dB?

The AL-3's high pass filter is designed for an 8 ohm load.  A 16 ohm load kinda messes up the elliptical-shaped voltage.  

Mike

thank you mboxler

i am lost with all klipsch drivers used for la Scala or other klipshorn ..

The k-55m is an EV driver, isnt' it ?  16 ohms or 8 ohms ?

The k-55v is an Atlas sound or not ?  or perhaps the k-55x ?

On the high pass filter, there is a rde 050 .. what is it ? a variable resistor ?

I have seen that the rde 050 is in parallel with an 100 ohms resistor, is it to safe the tweeter ?

What is the value of the rde 050 ? 

Perhaps on my klipch al-3 crossover are the rde 050 out of order and it's because this that my tweeters are weak ..  don't you think so ?

11 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

thank you mboxler

i am lost with all klipsch drivers used for la Scala or other klipshorn ..

The k-55m is an EV driver, isnt' it ?  16 ohms or 8 ohms ?

The k-55v is an Atlas sound or not ?  or perhaps the k-55x ?

On the high pass filter, there is a rde 050 .. what is it ? a variable resistor ?

I have seen that the rde 050 is in parallel with an 100 ohms resistor, is it to safe the tweeter ?

What is the value of the rde 050 ? 

Perhaps on my klipch al-3 crossover are the rde 050 out of order and it's because this that my tweeters are weak ..  don't you think so ?

The K-55M is an EV 16 ohm driver.

As I understand it your Atlas is identical to the K-55V and K-55X.

I think the rde 050 is a poly switch, and it should be 0 ohms(?).  If it's functioning properly,  0 ohms in parallel with 100 ohms is still 0 ohms.

If it's broken, then yes the signal is now passing through a 100 ohm resistor, greatly reducing the voltage to the squawker.

Sorry, when you said it wasn't right I didn't realize you meant inaudible.  Can you measure the resistance across the 100 ohm resistor?  If the 

switch is okay then it should measure 0 ohms.  If it measures 100 ohms you found your problem.

7 minutes ago, mboxler said:

The K-55M is an EV 16 ohm driver.

As I understand it your Atlas is identical to the K-55V and K-55X.

I think the rde 050 is a poly switch, and it should be 0 ohms(?).  If it's functioning properly,  0 ohms in parallel with 100 ohms is still 0 ohms.

If it's broken, then yes the signal is now passing through a 100 ohm resistor, greatly reducing the voltage to the squawker.

Sorry, when you said it wasn't right I didn't realize you meant inaudible.  Can you measure the resistance across the 100 ohm resistor?  If the 

switch is okay then it should measure 0 ohms.  If it measures 100 ohms you found your problem.

Thank you very very much mboxler, i will measure the resistance across the 100 ohm resistor next week-end.

the 100 ohms resistor and the rde050 in parallel is on the tweeter and not on the squawker.

i will try to find a polyswitch (what value has rde 050?) if it is broken.

I have bought my al-3 crossover second hand.