Crossover building Question

kevinmi

I currently have a couple pair of universal type crossovers, one build by DeanG, that crosses over at 400 and 6000, and one I built that crosses over at 400 and 4500. I would like to build a universal that crosses over at 300 and 4500. Can somebody either tell me the values I will need for the woofer inductor and the mid cap, or point me in the direction of some software that I can use to calculate the values? Thanks in advance.

Hi Kevin,

That is probably something not worth messing with, and might not be the best idea either. Always try to stay at least a half an octave above the Fc of your horn. Just because you have a driver that can go down the 300, doesn't mean you should.  

4 minutes ago, Deang said:

Hi Kevin,

That is probably something not worth messing with, and might not be the best idea either. Always try to stay at least a half an octave above the Fc of your horn. Just because you have a driver that can go down the 300, doesn't mean you should.  

Dean, I was more interested in how the K-Horn bass bin would sound crossed that low. I've read different things from time to time that people have tried this and liked it. I'm just curious, I guess. It would probably be easier to try an active setup for a temporary trial run than to build a whole new set of passive crossovers. My midhorn Fc is 210 hz.

I'm only guessing here, but I think those that have tried the 300 thing are running the BMS driver. I thought what they liked was what they were hearing out of the midrange. As for the bass bin, if you look at the raw response, and remove the two large peaks - it's starting its roll off at 300Hz anyways.

I don't know for how long PK did this, but I've been told more than once that he ran his bass bins full out with no low pass in the network.

22 hours ago, Marvel said:

What about the compression driver? Will it play nice at 300Hz, and handle the power?

That's the million dollar question! I currently have the BMS 4592 drivers, and I have a pair of Selenium d-405 drivers, and I have a pair of B&C DCM50's on their way. I only run about 10 w/channel into the K-Horns, so I would play it safe. I'm not sure I'll actually do this, I'm just curious at this point.

21 hours ago, Deang said:

I don't know for how long PK did this, but I've been told more than once that he ran his bass bins full out with no low pass in the network.

I was curious about whether a low pass was actually needed in a K-Horn bass bin. I'm not going to yank one out of a perfectly good crossover to find out though.

2 hours ago, kevinmi said:

I was curious about whether a low pass was actually needed in a K-Horn bass bin. I'm not going to yank one out of a perfectly good crossover to find out though.

Can't you just bypass it temporarily?

Also curious which mid horn do you have/run?

• 3 weeks later...