How much is too much?

stormin

Just wondering if chorus II's could handle 600 wpc? I now have 1 Adcom GFA 555 mkII and thinking of adding a second which would take me from 200wpc to 600wpc.I guess many have been running monos and guess greatly increases dynamics and punch but "wow" cant imagine that they have klipsch speakers.Just wondering what that might be like? My volume on my preamp now goes from 7 oclock to 5 oclock (12 oclock being half way) and i cant turn much past 10 oclock now and stay in room.I wonder if i would even be able to turn volume a fraction at 600 wpc? Inquiring minds like to know smile.gif

The phrase "stay in the room" is the clincher. You could turn it to 12:00 and more outdoors or in a large hall without pain. The sound needs to get out. The middle of a square 40-acre plot would be safe from complaints, I think, though your neighbors would will hear you. I remember setting up one of my Dad's 3-way Magnavox speakers on a 10 amp guitar amp to play records while we played softball. I had to go to work 1/2 mile away and I could still hear it, over traffic, like it was from the car radio next to me. Now, it would be an excuse for the police to visit...

I believe some of the amp's power goes to quality, not just output. I remember reading that CD quality recordings need 100 watts just to handle the transitions from the lowest to the highest frequency instantaneously without clipping. I'm sure some EE will tell me if I'm wrong. wink.gif

Pete C, Thanks for the reply. Yeah have to agree thats going to be alot of volume. One thing i have noticed with my set up at the moment is that it is very clean and detailed. And as i turn volume up, no distortion at all just increase in volume. I have turned volume to 1 oclock one time cause was in the jamming mood and distortion lights didnt even begin to flicker on my amp so who knows how far before even 1% distortion starts. And as far as impact now it definitely hits you hard. Actually the bass impact at 1 oclock about knocked me off the sofa. Just kind of curious if there would be more dynamics and punch at lower volumes running at 600wpc vs 200wpc? I understand its all overkill smile.gif. Kept at clean levels though wondering if chorus II's could stand up to that kind of power? Sure dont want to melt the voice coils.

Randy

stormin,

if you decide to go this route, be CERTAIN your dealer will let you try this and bring back the second amp if you don't like what you hear.

I used to have a pair of original series GFA 555 which I used to drive a set of B&W 801F circa 1986. One 555 was simply not able to drive the 801s to the level I wanted. Bridging the amps into mono and dedicating one amp per speaker got me closer to the dynamics I wanted, but I lost something. The 555s were much less open sounding, much harsher, much brighter in bridged mode than they were in stereo mode. Ultimately gave up.

Now granted, you're talking a newer generation amp and Adcom may have improved the sound in bridged mode, but still, be sure you have the change to listen to this before you're stuck with the second amp.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray, Thanks for the great advice. I think i will take it being that i am totally happy with the 1 amp and more than enough power than i need. If it can knock me off the couch now what am i looking for to get knocked clear out the window behind the couch smile.gif. Really i think it's just the buying bug thats been trying to bite me. Thanks for the replies.

Adcom GFA 555mkII

Adcom GFA 555mkII

Cal LAbs icon mkII

Chorus II's

Cardas interconnects & cables

Stormin,

200 watts for a Chorus II is plenty of power. Remember that doubling power will only increase the volume by 3 Decibels. I seriuosly doubt that you would hear any improvements by adding another amp. If the buying bug has got you, I think you will be better off by applying that money to upgrading to a better amp.

Jmon, thanks for the reply but was talking of tripling the power not doubling. And as far as amp goes to get better than an Adcom 555 mkII i better plan on spending at least 2k so i will stick with that until the tube bug bites.