CD / SACD player recommendations

USNRET

Budget <$1000.00
Use: in a two channel setup with Parasound P6 preamp and A23+ amps thru DSP to Jubilees.
Other source is a bluesound Node 2i for streaming and from NAS
I might have a TV between the Jubs for the occasional video but I have some input that the TV reflection would degrade the sound.
I have an OPPO UDP 203 but plan to use that in another room for surround HT but I could swap that in and get another Blu Ray for the movies.

What say you?

Budget Use: in a two channel setup with Parasound P6 preamp and A23+ amps thru DSP to Jubilees.
Other source is a bluesound Node 2i for streaming and from NAS
I might have a TV between the Jubs for the occasional video but I have some input that the TV reflection would degrade the sound.
I have an OPPO UDP 203 but plan to use that in another room for surround HT but I could swap that in and get another Blu Ray for the movies.

What say you?

Have you put the oppo in that setup and tried it? So many glowing reviews on it, I’d give that a shot with my Jubilees (if I had them). If not good enough, I’d look for a high end transport and a stand-alone high end DAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, baron167 said:

Have you put the oppo in that setup and tried it? So many glowing reviews on it, I’d give that a shot with my Jubilees (if I had them). If not good enough, I’d look for a high end transport and a stand-alone high end DAC.

Speakers and electronics are sitting at the dealer paid for and awaiting shipping to my new place when I close so the answer is no I have not. Hope to have the truck here soon after closing scheduled for 1 week + 1 day but there is no guarantee I will close then since the FFFIIIINNNINNNG appraiser has not been there yet.

Original appraisal due Nov 4th, bank never followed up and then at last minute there was no appraiser available. I paid bonus money to have appraisal TO THE BANK by Nov 19th but as of now (17th) the seller's agent has been been contacted for access.

One thing you most know: I have a black cloud over my head at all times, nothing goes the way it should. This has been attested to by many long standing forum members. I have a wet dream and wake up with VD.

You already have one of the best players there is in the 203... Specially when you factor in the smaller amount of combi players (cd/bluray) that will also do sacd and dvd-a.

I say get a more advanced uhd bluray player for HT in the second room for MUCH less than 1000$.

I use and external dac for 2.1 from my 203 via digital coax, and I use the internal Oppo dac for 5.1... the Oppo is very decent, just not top of the line.

If you're just running a 2.0/2.1 system... Do you really need a player that can de code sacd?

2 minutes ago, Schu said:

You already have one of the best players there is in the 203... Specially when you factor in the smaller amount of combi players (cd/bluray) that will also do sacd and dvd-a.

I say get a more advanced uhd bluray player for HT in the second room for MUCH less than 1000$.

I use and external dac from my 203 via digital coax and I use the internal Oppo dac for 5.1, and the Oppo is very decent... Just not top of the line.

Yo, Schu. Thanks, looking. Will have to see how the Parasound DAC is.

28 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Too late but a sweet upsampling CD player

Not really, I have a couple of months to return the Pany if the Oppo doesn't 'play' out.
For the Oppo I have owned most every variation since the 83. I had the 105BD when the 203/205 came out. Had the 205 in the cart but hesitated and lost out so got the 203.

15 hours ago, USNRET said:

Not really, I have a couple of months to return the Pany if the Oppo doesn't 'play' out.
For the Oppo I have owned most every variation since the 83. I had the 105BD when the 203/205 came out. Had the 205 in the cart but hesitated and lost out so got the 203.

The Oppo will be just what you expect so you will be fine.

I love the A308 cd player, but I do have the matching preamp and amp. 

3 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Doesn't that defeat the reason for using an oppo as you are then just using the transport? 

Yes and no... yes for many that want that it to be the be all end all for a 'reasonable price', but no if you run it like I do to an external dac would out perform the Oppos internal conversion (Oppos decent, but it's not out of this world).  it's a tank of a unit and is built to last and for me, I can do 5.1 music and it doubles up for HT duty since I have one system for both music and HT.

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Yes and no... yes for many that want that it to be the be all end all for a 'reasonable price', but no if you run it like I do to an external dac would out perform the Oppos internal conversion (Oppos decent, but it's not out of this world).  it's a tank of a unit and is built to last and for me, I can do 5.1 music and it doubles up for HT duty since I have one system for both music and HT.

Yea, it is a well built unit, but it also has great DACs for its price.  You really need to jump up in price on a DAC to beat them. 

Same for that MF A308CR CD player on US Audiomart.  Quite a bargain at that price, especially with its upsampling. 

On another note, I ordered some Medify 112 air purifiers on your recommendation.  Hope they help. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Keep the Oppo, run it to a Schiit Bifrost dac for your 2 channel, your Jubes will love it.

5 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Doesn't that defeat the reason for using an oppo as you are then just using the transport? 

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Obviously I have read these posts but yet have a question. Let's say it's a given (not taking sides) that the Biforst betters the Oppo 205 DAC for 2 channel. What does that say about the other Schiit DACs (diminishing return on investment?)  and / or the Bifrost multibit upgrade in a normal room with SOME ability to use front wall corner bass traps first side wall reflection dampening?

31 minutes ago, LTusler said:

I have a 65" LCD mounted between my Jubes.  Does not affect the sound stage at all.  Also the mouths of the system are 24" from the wall.

Thanks for the info! How far from the back wall to behind the speakers (that is convoluted)? Moved forward or comfortably close?
Distance between side walls?
Listening seat distance from plane of the Jubs?
Sweet spot width? I am used to exact center sweet spot or lose of all imagining by moving L/R a foot or less with other setups THIS IS ONE OF MY MAIN ATTEMPTS TO FIX. Reminder, not in the new place and never Jubs but past experience with KHorns, LaSacala, Belles, Cornwalls, etc all in less than perfect or just pitiful rooms.

@usnret, the front of the speakers is 24" from the back wall, 8' apart inner edge to inner edge and currently toed in 1 3/4" as measured below the outer base mount screw and the bass top. and the MPL is 11'-13' away.  The sweetest spot is about 2 people wide although once outside of that, the sound is still full anywhere in the room. The side walls are 10' away so I don't have any sidewall first reflections issues.  I may have one from the ceiling since they are only 7'7" high they are a combination of sheetrock and acoustical tile.

You will not be disappointed with Jubs assuming you can get them by the WAF and have the space for the 4 channels of amplification, DSP and source equipment.

Good Luck!

PS, I went with a Yamaha BD-A1060 as my multi disc player.  Based on my research in the current market, it had all of the abilities I needed plus XLR outputs which was a requirement for me.

Jubilee Small.jpg

System Layout.png