RC3II wired out of phase?

bozzchem

I have an RC3II center channel speaker. I found out today that the 6.5" speakers are wired out of phase. Why was this done? When I used a 9 volt battery across the speaker wire input, one woofer popped out and the other popped in. If they are both wired the same way, they should both pop out, like they do for the RF3II main speakers.

Anyone know what gives here?

Contact support at Klipsch. I say this because in some cases individual drivers are phase shifted to some degree within a single box to compensate for differences in driver response etc. That said if the drivers really are 180 degrees out of phase I suspect that something is out of whack.

BTW

When checking speakers it is best to use a 1.5 volt battery such as an AA or an AAA.

they shouldn't be out of phase but the rc-3 & rc-7 use a tapered array for the 2 woofs.

"Tapered array technology allows both woofers to reproduce deep bass, while only one covers the lower midrange frequencies for clearer dialogue and more consistent coverage."

maybe that makes it appear that they're out of phase since they aren't producing identical sound (???).

I just recently purchased a (RF-3II, RC-3 II, RS-3 II) set and this thread

has peaked my attention. I'm not too knowledgeable in an EE sense, so some

replies would be appreciated.

If a driver's negative wire is not connected, will that driver work at all?

Is it common for the reference series to have non-connected negative wires?

To check my drivers, is it as simple as unscrewing the plate holding the

driver and looking at the connections or is there some things to be

cautious of?

If either terminal is not connected the driver will not work but if the driver is in a cabinet with another driver that is working its cone will move in reaction to the changes in air pressure within the cabinet.The pressure changes are caused by the motion of the working driver. That is the principle employed when passive radiators are installed in some models.

I do not believe that this is an especially common problem but given the number of speakers that Klipsch makes the odd one might slip past quality control.

Generally speaking If one of your speakers had a disconnected driver you would be able to tell as it would sound very differently from its mate or if it were a single unit such as the RC III you would notice that it didn't sound "right" as compared to the other units in the set.

I would suggest you not remove any drivers from your speakers unless you are actually having a problem with them particularly given your statement that you don't know much about how speakers work. It is possible to create a problem where none had existed.In particular you need to be aware that the Ceramettallic cones are extremely brittle and easy to damage. They are delicate because a light rigid cone is the most responsive and controllable thereby enhancing the accuracy of the response. Those same attributes unfortunately make them somewhat fragile.

Bear in mind also that tampering with the cabinet could void your warranty.