Surround speaker question

MIKEPP

I am currently using the RS-52ii rear surround speakers ... I came across a smoking deal on a  pair of RP-260f speakers ... Would it be a better fit to use those as rear speakers ?

main stage is ...

Front  L/R R-28f 

Center RC-35

Atmos ceiling fired 2x-CDT-3800-Cii

Source: Denon AVR-X1500h

No.  The RS series is designed specifically as a surround speaker. 

The RP-260s would be a nice upgrade to your R-28Fs, though. 

And remember, in a 5.1 setup the surround speakers are referred to just as that.  7.1 adds rear speakers behind you.  5.1 surrounds should be beside you facing you. 

i was planning on rotating them out and trying them that way this weekend ... 

i would not swap those for my R-28f's ... you know, i have read alot of flak about those r-28f speakers on here .. people say oh those are best buy junk etc. when all of klipsch speakers are sold at best buy in the theater store called magnolia ... i can only guess some people have got some friday at 4:30 builds or they did not setup properly something cause the ones i have are monsters and i would not get rid of them for anything...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I have the R-28F's and I think they're great... maybe it's just because I haven't had the luxury of trying the RP or RF's in my room... ignorance is bliss I guess... 🙂 I am saving up to upgrade my center R-25C though, but these RP's and the RC-64 are crazy expensive where I live... 😞

I did go with the PRO-180RPC for my in-ceiling height speakers when I upgraded to Dolby Atmos, in anticipation of an eventual all-round upgrade to the RP or RF line, but it will be a long time before I get there by the looks of things... 

Regarding your question about using the RP-260f as rear surrounds, I don't know that I would do that to be honest. If you already bought them, and you don't want to replace the R-28F's with them as mains, then you can try them as actual surrounds (to the side and slightly behind you), but as rear surrounds, I fear they will be largely wasted (unless you mean you are using them as surrounds, but just placed them behind you). There's usually more content in the surrounds and than in the rear surrounds as far as I can tell. And if you haven't bought them yet, then rather pass on them and invest in the best bookshelves or surround speakers you can afford, and save the rest for other things. 

• Like 1

I've tried towers as rear surrounds and didn't get much out of it, not that there is much content going to surround back speakers anyway.  I have the 502s for surround and surround back and like how they sound.  I agree with the others that the RS-52 ii will probably be a better surround speaker than a tower, but I've seen others who love having towers as their surround or rear surround. It's easy to switch out speakers and try different setups, so I'd say give it a shot and see what you like best.  

I personally had extra towers myself and started building a separate system in my game room. 

I am excited to try them ... theres nothing wrong with the RS-52ii they look great and sound great .. actual placement for the RS-52ii has been kinda difficult just because of the way there built with the speakers going 2 different directions and not being a mirror copy its hard to get exact placement for the same sound on both sides ... they would be better used on a wall for more than one row of chairs for sure ... but my room is just 2 chairs ..I will also swap them with my mains and give em a listen . i am picking up a RP-450c to replace my RC-35  today hopefully it sounds better than the RC-35-dual 6.5" speakers .. if they do not work out for me ... These will appear for sale on here .....hopefully with a RC-35 and not a RP-450c....lol

4 hours ago, MIKEPP said:

well they sound amazing .... However its very different ,,, i put the RS-52ii  back...

Just for clarity, are you referring to the RP-260f speakers? And if you are, are you saying you still preferred keeping the R-28F's as your fronts instead of upgrading them to the RP-260f speakers?

11 hours ago, inMotionGraphics said:

Just for clarity, are you referring to the RP-260f speakers? And if you are, are you saying you still preferred keeping the R-28F's as your fronts instead of upgrading them to the RP-260f speakers?

No .... i am saying i acquired a pair of RP-260f tower speakers ... i all-ready have the R-28f speakers set for my front left and front right 

currently 

Front left - R-28f---Dual 8"

Front right - R-28f---Dual 8"

Center Channel- RC-35 --- Dual 6.5"

Rear Surround L - RS-52ii  -- Dual 5.25"

Rear Surround R - RS-52ii -- Dual 5.25"

Subwoofer L - R-12SW --- 12"

Subwoofer R - R-12SW --- 12"

Denon AVR-X1500h

What i was wanting to do is replace the (2x) - RS-52ii with the pair of RP-260f speakers .. but i found out pretty quick the RP-260 are not as lively as the RS-52ii in a theater application ..no matter how AWESOME they looked ....

To address the other question you have about the R-28f vs The RP-260f .. You ask "instead of upgrading them to the RP-260f" ...  I will not replace my R-28f with any speaker unless its another Dual 8" speaker like the RP-280f or the dual 10" RF-7iii or a pair of triple 8"  RF-83"s ... The RP-260f is a beautiful speaker that is very nice .. and if all i was doing was listening  to music .. They would prolly take the r-28f spot... However ... The R-28f are monsters i use them as primarily for my home theater .. I do not know where this "RUMOR" has started about the R-28F'S Being cheap .. i have heard people who have commented on these speakers saying, "They are (Best Buy) bottom of the barrel garbage" . "They are a dressed up synergy line speaker" . "They have crappy tweeters compared to any other model" . ... Or ,  "I just bought a pair of R-28f speakers and they sound horrible" ..etc  You get what i am saying .. 

The R-28f is a Reference Line Tower speaker from Klipsch Just like the R-7ii or any other speaker .. usually the people who where complaining about them sounding horrible when they bought them found it was not the speaker that was causing the problem.. and all the other people that where complaining that it is  best buy garbage .. had never owned one or borrowed one or even heard one to even try and compare it to any other model Just FYI "Magnolia"is a High end Home theater store Inside best buy ... and to be honest with you .. i actually REALLY like the design of this model with the port at bottom in the front .In my opinion they are Bad #$% - ..I don't understand the best buy logic at all .. i Guess if i bought a JVC DLA-NX9- 8k Home theater projector from best buy for 17,999.00 its not as good as the same model from star power Klipsch is Klipsch no matter who you get it from .. 

The Rp-260f is not an upgrade to my home theater in regards to replacing my front left and right speakers ... it would only be an update just because of the Reference Premier line .

I hope this explain's

"Cheers"

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, wuzzzer said:

No.  The RS series is designed specifically as a surround speaker. 

The RP-260s would be a nice upgrade to your R-28Fs, though. 

And remember, in a 5.1 setup the surround speakers are referred to just as that.  7.1 adds rear speakers behind you.  5.1 surrounds should be beside you facing you. 

I Was under the impression the rear surround speakers ... on a 5.1 .. and what im doing the 5.2.2

are to be located behind you 110-120 deg from listening position 1.... ??

its hard to position the rs-52ii exact to these specs because of shape of the bi directional speaker 

826164805_ScreenShot2020-11-24at10_49_41AM.png.5f48b292ccd86c72eea118f2895eca9e.png

I just meant that they should not be directly behind you like many do incorrectly for 5.1.

The confusion comes from calling them rear surrounds.  Rear surrounds or surround backs are behind you in a 7.1 setup.  Side surrounds or simply surrounds are beside you in a 5.1 setup. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 5:18 PM, MIKEPP said:

No .... i am saying i acquired a pair of RP-260f tower speakers ... i all-ready have the R-28f speakers set for my front left and front right 

currently 

I understood that, but I think you misunderstood me... I was just wondering whether the RP-260f would be an upgrade to the R-28's as front mains. While they have smaller woofers, they do have a better tweeter and woofer construction, but I wouldn't know how they compare side by side in the real world. 

but i found out pretty quick the RP-260 are not as lively as the RS-52ii in a theater application ..no matter how AWESOME they looked ....

Interesting...

To address the other question you have about the R-28f vs The RP-260f .. You ask "instead of upgrading them to the RP-260f" ...  I will not replace my R-28f with any speaker unless its another Dual 8" speaker like the RP-280f or the dual 10" RF-7iii or a pair of triple 8"  RF-83"s ...

Understood... but hopefully you did test them as front mains compared to the R-28's...

However ... The R-28f are monsters i use them as primarily for my home theater .. I do not know where this "RUMOR" has started about the R-28F'S Being cheap .. i have heard people who have commented on these speakers saying, "They are (Best Buy) bottom of the barrel garbage" . "They are a dressed up synergy line speaker" . "They have crappy tweeters compared to any other model" . ... Or ,  "I just bought a pair of R-28f speakers and they sound horrible" ..etc  You get what i am saying .. 

I'm definitely not suggesting this... after all, my front mains are R-28F's as this is all I could afford at the time, and I love them. But I do hope to upgrade to the RP-8000 or RF7iii's one day if I can afford it... 🙂

The R-28f is a Reference Line Tower speaker from Klipsch Just like the R-7ii or any other speaker .. usually the people who where complaining about them sounding horrible when they bought them found it was not the speaker that was causing the problem..

At the end of the day, there is a very big difference in the construction of the R-28 vs the RP series. Firstly the woofers in the R line are Injection Molded Graphite (IMG) while the RP series have  Cerametallic woofers. The tweeters in the R series are Aluminum while the RP's are Titanium (titanium is lighter and stiffer, so they should sound different). And I assume the cabinet is better braced and finished on the RP line. But whether all this translates into a speaker you like more, is entirely up to you and something only you can determine for yourself.

and all the other people that where complaining that it is  best buy garbage .. had never owned one or borrowed one or even heard one to even try and compare it to any other model Just FYI "Magnolia"is a High end Home theater store Inside best buy ... and to be honest with you .. i actually REALLY like the design of this model with the port at bottom in the front .In my opinion they are Bad #$% - ..I don't understand the best buy logic at all .. i Guess if i bought a JVC DLA-NX9- 8k Home theater projector from best buy for 17,999.00 its not as good as the same model from star power Klipsch is Klipsch no matter who you get it from .. 

I think you're taking your best buy analogy and claims a bit far... I do think the RP series is a significant upgrade to the R-28F's, and we don't have a Best Buy in South Africa, so it has nothing to do with where you got the speakers and only comes down to what you like and what you can afford. 

The Rp-260f is not an upgrade to my home theater in regards to replacing my front left and right speakers ... it would only be an update just because of the Reference Premier line .

Understood, and very interesting... I thought they might sound better even though they have smaller woofers and cabinets, but that was all hypothetical. 

Update: For what it's worth, I bought my R-28F's from a local high end audiophile dealership, so it really does just come down to budget and personal preference... so ignore what everyone is saying about your speakers online. As long as you are happy with them, that's all that matters.

• Like 1

about 2Weeks ago i purchased a pair of speakers ,,,They are the RF-82 ii 

after a few days of using those in place of my r-28f's .. I sold my r-28's 

i couldnt bring myself to selling the rp-260 so i swapped again .. and to be honest the blend of sound seems to be a little better than with the big dual 8's i am going to leave there for awhile and really give them a shot ....

currently 

Front left - R-28f---Dual 8"
Front right - R-28f---Dual 8"
Center Channel- RC-35 --- Dual 6.5"
Rear Surround L - RS-52ii  -- Dual 5.25"
Rear Surround R - RS-52ii -- Dual 5.25"
Subwoofer L - R-12SW --- 12"
Subwoofer R - R-12SW --- 12"
Denon AVR-X1500h

What i was wanting to do is replace the (2x) - RS-52ii with the pair of RP-260f speakers .. but i found out pretty quick the RP-260 are not as lively as the RS-52ii in a theater application ..no matter how AWESOME they looked ....

To address the other question you have about the R-28f vs The RP-260f .. You ask "instead of upgrading them to the RP-260f" ...  I will not replace my R-28f with any speaker unless its another Dual 8" speaker like the RP-280f or the dual 10" RF-7iii or a pair of triple 8"  RF-83"s ... The RP-260f is a beautiful speaker that is very nice .. and if all i was doing was listening  to music .. They would prolly take the r-28f spot... However ... The R-28f are monsters i use them as primarily for my home theater .. I do not know where this "RUMOR" has started about the R-28F'S Being cheap .. i have heard people who have commented on these speakers saying, "They are (Best Buy) bottom of the barrel garbage" . "They are a dressed up synergy line speaker" . "They have crappy tweeters compared to any other model" . ... Or ,  "I just bought a pair of R-28f speakers and they sound horrible" ..etc  You get what i am saying .. 
The R-28f is a Reference Line Tower speaker from Klipsch Just like the R-7ii or any other speaker .. usually the people who where complaining about them sounding horrible when they bought them found it was not the speaker that was causing the problem.. and all the other people that where complaining that it is  best buy garbage .. had never owned one or borrowed one or even heard one to even try and compare it to any other model Just FYI "Magnolia"is a High end Home theater store Inside best buy ... and to be honest with you .. i actually REALLY like the design of this model with the port at bottom in the front .In my opinion they are Bad #$% - ..I don't understand the best buy logic at all .. i Guess if i bought a JVC DLA-NX9- 8k Home theater projector from best buy for 17,999.00 its not as good as the same model from star power Klipsch is Klipsch no matter who you get it from .. 

I hope this explain's

"Cheers"

I would at least try out the Rp260s as the fronts. You got to be a little curious on the sound difference. Honestly the surrounds don't do a whole lot in a lot of sources. Can't say I've heard the R series but my rp 8000fs are amazing

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, MIKEPP said:

about 2Weeks ago i purchased a pair of speakers ,,,They are the RF-82 ii 

after a few days of using those in place of my r-28f's .. I sold my r-28's 

i couldnt bring myself to selling the rp-260 so i swapped again .. and to be honest the blend of sound seems to be a little better than with the big dual 8's i am going to leave there for awhile and really give them a shot ....

RF82ll are great tower speakers, they sound and look good.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, smallsmx3 said:

I would at least try out the Rp260s as the fronts. You got to be a little curious on the sound difference. Honestly the surrounds don't do a whole lot in a lot of sources. Can't say I've heard the R series but my rp 8000fs are amazing

I Currently have them sitting in the  L/R position ... I am liking the blend of sound better ... i am going to give it a week or so ...thanks

I Currently have them sitting in the  L/R position ... I am liking the blend of sound better ... i am going to give it a week or so ...thanks
My RPs sound so natural and very immersive. It's really hard to tell where sound is coming from because it sounds everywhere

2 hours ago, smallsmx3 said:

My RPs sound so natural and very immersive. It's really hard to tell where sound is coming from because it sounds everywhere

Well my room is not very big i have 2 recliners .. 100" screen i sit 11 feet from screen ...without redoing any sound adjustments i plugged in the rp-260's and the sound is just blended better.

everything is more clear throughout ..

Well my room is not very big i have 2 recliners .. 100" screen i sit 11 feet from screen ...without redoing any sound adjustments i plugged in the rp-260's and the sound is just blended better.
everything is more clear throughout ..

Pretty awesome. I'm about 7 feet away. I originally bought mine for my large living room and after a spat with the wife I moved them to a smaller space. No regrets!