Guitar lovers

DizRotus

Steve @BigStewMan, and other guitar aficionados, might be interested in this article about Gabriel Currie.  He uses 100 year-old pine logs that have been submerged in Lake Michigan to make custom guitars at Echopark Guitars here in The Motor City.

http://freep.mi.newsmemory.com/?publink=0c54b4eb2

The Detroit News Print Edition - Nov 21, 2020 at 8:06 AM.pdf

• Like 3

On 11/21/2020 at 5:16 AM, DizRotus said:

Steve @BigStewMan, and other guitar aficionados, might be interested in this article about Gabriel Currie.  He uses 100 year-old pine logs that have been submerged in Lake Michigan to make custom guitars at Echopark Guitars here in The Motor City.

http://freep.mi.newsmemory.com/?publink=0c54b4eb2

The Detroit News Print Edition - Nov 21, 2020 at 8:06 AM.pdf 480.02 kB · 6 downloads

Hey Neil ... wishing you a great holiday.  I don't own a pine guitar; but I've read that they have a nice tone. I have Tasmanian Blackwood, I have mahogany, I have an Alder body, and some 85+ year old homemade ones made by my Grandfather and his brother.  I've also heard that Pine is hard to work with; but I'm not a wood worker so ANY wood is hard for me to work with. 

My buddy in Grand Haven keeps suggesting that I move back there; but until they do something about those winters, ain't gonna happen. I do miss golfing at the GH Golf Club (for free).At one time, it was in the top 50 public golf courses in America according to golf digest. Saw the Guess Who there one year, they did a concert across from the famous Musical Fountain, and the second best fireworks show that I've ever seen. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NADman said:

I found this in the news this morning.

Castanet has been my local 'rag' for decades.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/317733/A-woman-recently-brought-a-guitar-to-Lee-s-Music-to-find-out-it-was-rare

the same model of Guitar is selling in FAIRPORT  NY for 15.500$ USD   , and the condition of the guitar is not as nice  ----------15000$ CAN$ is a bargain -that' s 11,500  $  USD

https://www.andybabiuksfabgear.com/vintage-1955-gretsch-g6130-round-up/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, blissann said:

I'm researching this page to find a perfect instrument for myself.

Probably doesn't exist, lol.

What price point? For what use? At the moment I only have two acoustics... the oldest is a Guild F-20R, from 1974, the second is a Taylor 812C from 1991.

The Guild plays perfectly, intonation and feel is wonderful. The tone is ok. The Taylor, is great as well, but still probably needs a little tweaking to get as good a feel as the Guild. I would like a larger bodied guitar, jumbo or dreadnought, but funds are allocated to other things right now. Wouldn't have to even be high end for me. For example, my long time guitar buddy has about 6 or 7 Martins, some from the Martin Custom Shop. They are all superb instruments. Still, he recently bought a dreadnought size, made in asia guitar for around $400 that he said is a wonderful instrument. Plays well, sounds good and looks good. You just have to play a bunch and the right one will show up.

On 11/21/2020 at 3:32 PM, RandyH000 said:

Beautiful instruments that are one of a kind -------and built to last -ECHOPARK GUITARS ----GABRIEL CURRIE -

Very unusual, but interesting, I would like to have such a guitar in my modest collection. It would be interesting to find out the opinion of the people who purchased it. I usually always read reviews in this blog before making another purchase. It makes it possible to immediately learn about all the pros and cons of a particular instrument and make a rational choice.

Edited by JonathanBrown
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...