Klipsch Cornwall IV, a look inside

Dawson's Ridge

On 11/22/2020 at 6:45 PM, Dawson's Ridge said:

Klipsch used cast aluminum woofer baskets in their premium Palladium offering (as opposed to stamped steel in their standard Heritage line) for several reasons, casting produces tighter tolerances, results in a stiff frame without adding unecessary weight to support a heavy magnet structure, eliminates ringing and cabinet resonances, serves as a heat sink to dissipate heat without any reflection of the back wave, more...

2x4's are needed in the Cornwall IV because the weak baffle won't support the 15" woofer. 

Not as much for the baffle but the back.

40 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Upgraded version would be cryogenically treated.

I'm afraid that a classically trained engineer might just think that....  when in fact it's a myth.  The magic is really in using the deck screws to mount it.  You can trust yourself on this, you just read it on the internet.

• Thanks 1

For truly superior performance, the drive head of the screws must also be considered. Slotted screws are NOT to be used. Phillips head may be used on non-Klipsch speakers. Square drive are to be used on non-Heritage speakers. Heritage speakers require Torx drive screws. The lobes diffuse unwanted resonances and boost many to the ultrasound band, where they can pop corn for your enjoyment. 

There are many schools of thought on materials used for the screws, with stainless steel and brass being touted by opposing camps. For true audiophile uses I prefer a stainless/molybdenum blend, doped with a hint of magnesium in a high density plasma reactor. Then implanted with cobalt, and finished with a nice titanium nitride deposition. Of course these must be heat treated to properly diffuse the various additives and then quenched in oil refined and blended at the following proportions:

-10% sperm whale

-10% walrus

-10% Newfoundland baby seal

-70% Extra Virgin Olive oil, grown on the slopes of Vesuvius, crushed by donkey driven granite wheels and pressed before the rains. Olives grown on Mt Aetna may be used in a pinch. Avoid olives from Corleone. These are controlled by the GenCo operation, and come with strings attached.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi @JBCODD

Everything is right in what you say, but if you want really high-end speaker, use AOP (Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée) olive oil from my region 😎

https://www.aoc-lesbauxdeprovence.com/le-terroir/la-vallee-des-baux-de-provence.htm

0.jpg?1368522144

Van Gogh himself loved them so much, when he was in Saint-Remy-de-Provence

van-gogh-artistes-musee-estrine-saint-re

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

Extra Virgin Olive oil, grown on the slopes of Vesuvius, crushed by donkey driven granite wheels and pressed before the rains.

My only experience with olive oil was that the streets around Davis, California were lined with olive trees. They would drop olives onto the pavement, to be crushed by car wheels, not granite wheels. Trying to ride my bicycle across this mess, well, the streets might just as well have been paved with Teflon.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JBCODD said:

For truly superior performance, the drive head of the screws must also be considered. Slotted screws are NOT to be used. Phillips head may be used on non-Klipsch speakers. Square drive are to be used on non-Heritage speakers. Heritage speakers require Torx drive screws. The lobes diffuse unwanted resonances and boost many to the ultrasound band, where they can pop corn for your enjoyment. 

There are many schools of thought on materials used for the screws, with stainless steel and brass being touted by opposing camps. For true audiophile uses I prefer a stainless/molybdenum blend, doped with a hint of magnesium in a high density plasma reactor. Then implanted with cobalt, and finished with a nice titanium nitride deposition. Of course these must be heat treated to properly diffuse the various additives and then quenched in oil refined and blended at the following proportions:

-10% sperm whale

-10% walrus

-70% Extra Virgin Olive oil, grown on the slopes of Vesuvius, crushed by donkey driven granite wheels and pressed before the rains. Olives grown on Mt Aetna may be used in a pinch. Avoid olives from Corleone. These are controlled by the GenCo operation, and come with strings attached.

I’m upgrading my Chorus 1’s, where can I get some of these screws?  😜

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

My only experience with olive oil was that the streets around Davis, California were lined with olive trees. They would drop olives onto the pavement, to be crushed by car wheels, not granite wheels. Trying to ride my bicycle across this mess, well, the streets might just as well have been paved with Teflon.

More seriously, rather than riding bikes on it 😁 it is better to taste olive oil in Mediterranean cuisine: Italy, South of France, Spain, Greece, Lebanon, Tunisia, Morocco, ... and all the others !

It's a delight 😋

https://www.google.com/search?q=cuisine+méditerranéenne&sxsrf=ALeKk02X1aXkDA_Ciuntz9qEFsu7WJgPtA:1606411644372&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjO1rPb3aDtAhUUnBQKHd7sAQs4ChD8BSgBegQIBRAD&biw=1366&bih=625

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_grecque

Making speakers is also cooking, and here I would say that the American cooks are very good, especially in Hope 😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBCODD said:

-10% sperm whale

-10% walrus

The real test after all that is how does Marie Osmond sound singing Paper  Roses....  you need to go subject yourself to that experiment....  listen to the song 45 times back to back and let us know the results. 

Reporting back while being strung up in a straight jacket is not an excuse.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

The real test after all that is how does Marie Osmond sound singing Paper  Roses....  you need to go subject yourself to that experiment....  listen to the song 45 times back to back and let us know the results. 

Reporting back while being strung up in a straight jacket is not an excuse.

You first!  

Oh wait, you have already done that haven’t you?😉

True olive oil story, grossly off-topic. I was in Tuscany and they give you olive oil to dip your bread. My host was impressing the Americans. He spoke Italian to the waiter, the waiter brought different olive oil. Our host asked us to compare. The new olive oil was much better tasting! Really. Our host told us that the second batch had been "hanging on the tree" only five days before. I have no idea what it cost, this guy was also ordering $70 bottles of wine. But that second batch of olive oil was better.

• Like 1