Buzz/crackle from kg4 driver

Subtle Sam

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and also new to Klipsch speakers after recently buying a pair of consignment kg4’s from an audio shop. 

After spending a few days with these speakers I started to notice a slight buzz. Turns out one of the 8” drivers is making this buzz. It’s most noticeable on stand up bass in jazz or similar kinds of open and airy music with lots of space. If I lightly touch the speaker the buzz gets really bad and the sound breaks up. When I stop touching the speaker it reverts back to a slight buzz. This doesn’t happen on any of the other drivers. 

I removed the driver and nothing looked out of place. The wires are clipped to the back of the driver. I’m not experienced with speakers or electronics and can’t tell if anything is wrong beyond that. 

Do you think the speaker is blown? Crossover? Wiring? Other problem? Thank you!

I have attached a few photos here. 

D37689B2-603E-4942-9B0D-9DD8E3E61AF7.jpeg

97B89AF2-F9C9-4053-B702-7CE50B011401.jpeg

82225BE6-2280-45C1-8099-5437C8C13E46.jpeg

Edited by Subtle Sam
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Subtle Sam said:

Hey thanks for this. I’m not sure I understand, but no I haven’t identified the problem yet. I will keep reading and playing around with the speaker though. 

I would also, just in case. Would listen without power while pushing in gently and listening.

Also with power on would gently move wires coming from crossover and at near speaker connection while listening. Do no touch crossover though as voltage on or off.

With power off, remove and replace spade connectors at suspect speaker  just in case corrosion.

3 hours ago, Subtle Sam said:

After spending a few days with these speakers I started to notice a slight buzz. Turns out one of the 8” drivers is making this buzz. It’s most noticeable on stand up bass in jazz or similar kinds of open and airy music

these woofers can  be repaired with speaker cement glue   --------check to see if the Surround is cracked or if it is separating ------glue will  help eliminating the buzz  in some cases ----in extreme cases you would have to change the surrounds -and ,  while you are at it check all the woofers right away , can't hurt -

Sounds like you're certain it's isolated to this speaker.

To prove it's the driver and not the crossover (it's likely the driver, especially considering Max2's comment above), you can remove the driver from the cabinet and crimp spade connectors onto the speaker wire, and connect the speaker wire directly on to the driver while it's outside the cabinet; it won't harm the driver. Play some music and see if it still has the problem. If it does, you can probably find replacements on eBay if you're patient. Or you can try to have it repaired by a firm such as Simply Speakers.

2 hours ago, Subtle Sam said:

Hey thanks for this. I’m not sure I understand, but no I haven’t identified the problem yet. I will keep reading and playing around with the speaker though. 

can you show us a picture of the surround  -----is it cracked or lightly torn- is it dry  ?    -----if yes , -the surrounds can be replaced -

31 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

can you show us a picture of the surround  -----is it cracked or lightly torn- is it dry  ?    -----if yes , -the surrounds can be replaced -

The surrounds all seem to be in good shape. No signs of cracking, still “rubbery”, not torn. Here are closeups of the damages driver. 

E0C1B75F-0B00-43C8-BC32-CA0FF192484A.jpeg

1BF83DC4-D65B-4E9A-AA8E-934AE809708C.jpeg

2D3EF4B5-9727-467B-B8A4-BB5D84688B4E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Peter P. said:

Sounds like you're certain it's isolated to this speaker.

To prove it's the driver and not the crossover (it's likely the driver, especially considering Max2's comment above), you can remove the driver from the cabinet and crimp spade connectors onto the speaker wire, and connect the speaker wire directly on to the driver while it's outside the cabinet; it won't harm the driver. Play some music and see if it still has the problem. If it does, you can probably find replacements on eBay if you're patient. Or you can try to have it repaired by a firm such as Simply Speakers.

I am certain it is only this driver based on holding my ear to each one, touching them and not getting that same crackly, broken up response. I don’t have any crimp spade connectors. Could I temporarily tape the banana plugs to the speaker tabs? If so does black/red matter?

1 hour ago, Max2 said:

The KG4 was notorious for a voice coil issue with those old white drivers. So much, that Klipsch offered replacements for them way back when.  I have two replacements, one in each of my old KG 4's.

Ok that’s good to know. So were the drivers problematic right out of the factory or over time?  Also, just out of curiosity and a desire to learn, how do you know it is a voice coil issue? Thank you!

PS I pm’d you about your spare drivers. 

15 minutes ago, Subtle Sam said:

The surrounds all seem to be in good shape. No signs of cracking, still “rubbery”, not torn. Here are closeups of the damages driver. 

well you're gonna have to

1)-make sure the screws are tight all around - any loose screw or loose panel can create buzzing -

2) take out the woofer ,  check the front part of the woofer for separation    or the cone for any glue separation --

3)- swap another woofer in the same slot and put the buzzing woofer in the other speaker ------and test  ----- if the same woofer is buzzing in the 2nd speaker ,  your woofer is damaged and would need a recone or a replacement

40 minutes ago, Subtle Sam said:

I am certain it is only this driver based on holding my ear to each one, touching them and not getting that same crackly, broken up response. I don’t have any crimp spade connectors. Could I temporarily tape the banana plugs to the speaker tabs? If so does black/red matter?

In your case, black/red orientation will not matter. I'm not confident taping the wires to the terminals will give you a secure connection but you could try with some electrical tape. You could try a couple small paperclips, wedging the wire between the terminal and the paperclip, as long as each paperclip doesn't touch anything other than one wire to one terminal.

43 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

well you're gonna have to

1)-make sure the screws are tight all around - any loose screw or loose panel can create buzzing -

2) take out the woofer ,  check the front part of the woofer for separation    or the cone for any glue separation --

3)- swap another woofer in the same slot and put the buzzing woofer in the other speaker ------and test  ----- if the same woofer is buzzing in the 2nd speaker ,  your woofer is damaged and would need a recone or a replacement

Hey Randy. Checked #1 and #2 - No issues. Then I swapped the woofers and now the same woofer is buzzing in the second speaker. So yeah, logic says the issue is the woofer and not the crossover or anything to do with the speaker box. 

I bought these speakers via consignment from a shop about 3 hours away and they do provide a 30 day warranty. However I hope that covers blown speakers. I’m 99% sure I didn’t cause this but I guess you never know. It did take me a couple days to notice the buzzing sound so it is possible I damaged them on the first few listens. But it was all moderate volume so not convinced it was me. 

12 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

In your case, black/red orientation will not matter. I'm not confident taping the wires to the terminals will give you a secure connection but you could try with some electrical tape. You could try a couple small paperclips, wedging the wire between the terminal and the paperclip, as long as each paperclip doesn't touch anything other than one wire to one terminal.

Swapped woofers between cabs and the problem followed the woofer over to the second cabinet. So I’m fairly convinced it’s the woofer. Thanks for your help. I’ll either return the speakers to the seller or look for a repair shop. I’m on the west coast of Canada on an island so repair shops might be few and far between. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Subtle Sam said:

I was afraid I was not clear about that.

No, looks like you got some good help here.

Everything you have done like moving wires, disconnecting, and reattaching, all are good things to know and understand. Maybe, your WTB topic will get some action. Nice would be to find a single 4 for cheap with good drivers. Let know what you decide.

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 6:52 PM, Subtle Sam said:

But it was all moderate volume so not convinced it was me. 

--the speaker is not blown yet , but it's either rubbing the voice coil or it  had glue separation in the spider or the upper cone -

-in all cases  the warranty should apply  -   were are you in BC   ?   @Islander   is in Victoria -----he can definitely be of help to you if you Guys can hook up -

there are quite a few Canadians on the Klipsch Forum @HPower   @NADman   @Geoff  @Zachk0  @MC39693   @glen not in the valley  @Cold Smoke   @moray james @mungkiman

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

--the speaker is not blown yet , but it's either rubbing the voice coil or it  had glue separation in the spider or the upper cone -

-in all cases  the warranty should apply  -   were are you in BC   ?   @Islander   is in Victoria -----he can definitely be of help to you if you Guys can hook up -

there are quite a few Canadians on the Klipsch Forum @HPower   @NADman   @Geoff  @Zachk0  @MC39693   @glen not in the valley  @Cold Smoke   @moray james @mungkiman

Yup I’m in southern Ontario !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RandyH000 said:

Yeah I’m half way up Vancouver Island so that would be great. I will try to figure out how to dm Islander. Is he a repair guy? You are all so helpful and great. What a wonderful experience joining this forum has been!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1