Buzz/crackle from kg4 driver

Subtle Sam

41 minutes ago, billybob said:

Had one of each version in my pair. Round cup and rectangle.

Power is what am wanting to ask OP. Thanks!

Hi guys,

I am running a Schiit Saga+ preamp to a Vidar power amp. The Vidar should be able to safely flex down to 4 ohms with these specs from the website:

Power Output:

Stereo, 8 Ohms: 100W RMS per channel
Stereo, 4 Ohms: 200W RMS per channel
Mono, 8 ohms: 400W RMS 

For the record, the Schiit with kg4 combination sounds great to my ears. I was running a pair of KEF Q350's prior to this and, although they have their strengths, the KEF's sound dull in comparison to the kg4's. I also have a B&W 610 10" sealed subwoofer that I keep turned down low and it just helps to fill things out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max2 said:

which makes it difficult to be cost effective in replacing a driver or two or even matching all 4 up when you can get a bullet proof set of old Heresy's for a little more money.  

This is the dilemma I am facing. It's even worse in Canada because shipping, duties and taxes totals around $40 USD per driver. So each driver would cost me $80-$100 USD all in.

As for the Heresy comparison, here is an all-Canadian analysis if you are interested: H1's go for around $600 USD here and maybe $750 for the H2's. After shipping (I live on an island) I'm looking at a total price of $700 - $850 USD for a pair of Heresy's. 

When you say bullet proof, are the Heresy's known to be better built or ...?   

Edited by Subtle Sam
Grammar

29 minutes ago, Subtle Sam said:

Hi guys,

I am running a Schiit Saga+ preamp to a Vidar power amp. The Vidar should be able to safely flex down to 4 ohms with these specs from the website:

Power Output:

Stereo, 8 Ohms: 100W RMS per channel
Stereo, 4 Ohms: 200W RMS per channel
Mono, 8 ohms: 400W RMS 

For the record, the Schiit with kg4 combination sounds great to my ears. I was running a pair of KEF Q350's prior to this and, although they have their strengths, the KEF's sound dull in comparison to the kg4's. I also have a B&W 610 10" sealed subwoofer that I keep turned down low and it just helps to fill things out.

Lol, nice setup. Was just reading yesterday about those 2. Glad to hear you have good results. Plenty of power too.

49 minutes ago, Subtle Sam said:

This is the dilemma I am facing. It's even worse in Canada because shipping, duties and taxes totals around $40 USD per driver. So each driver would cost me $80-$100 USD all in.

As for the Heresy comparison, here is an all-Canadian analysis if you are interested: H1's go for around $600 USD here and maybe $750 for the H2's. After shipping (I live on an island) I'm looking at a total price of $700 - $850 USD for a pair of Heresy's. 

When you say bullet proof, are the Heresy's known to be better built or ...?   

Parts are easy to come by for the old Heresy and they are tough as nails.  You might find one with a toasted tweeter, but for the most part they can take a lot of abuse. Tweeters, mids and 12's can all be had easily and theyre all shared for the most part of the entire Heritage line.   The KG 4 is an odd ball in comparison, kind of meshed in with the old Tangent line and they're all vanishing further into the sunset year after year.  I would suggest looking into the old Heritage line for your next move.  

The more I read on this thread the more I suspect the spider came unglued vs. a voice coil problem. It's easy to visually see yourself. Remove the speaker and using a finger, move the cone in and out. Beneath the cone you'll see the "spider", a corrugated ring that keeps the cone in the middle of it's travel, like a spring or suspension. It should move with the cone. If it doesn't, it's because the speaker was over driven. It can be fixed. I had this happen to me trying to push way too low bass frequencies into the speaker.

I still say keep checking eBay or contact Simply Speakers.

• 2 weeks later...

OP here. Every good story needs a good ending so here goes. I received two different dm’s from forum members to send me an original replacement driver for the kg4’s. But in the end I decided to return the speakers to the seller who gave me a refund. Thanks to you guys for offering to help me out!

That’s not all though! I also got a message from another forum member fairly close to me. They invited me over to check out a pair of Heresy II’s that they weren’t using. Well I dropped by today, had a great chat, listened to some music on a very cool sound system, and ended up buying them from the generous person. So now I’m sitting back and enjoying. I love the Heresy’s so far, so much clarity and liveliness. 

Seems like things worked out for the best, all because of this forum. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/24/2020 at 7:47 AM, jef0707 said:

that was my thread linked above. I did I buy the Midwest replacement for the single blown k8k I had. sounded nice to me. just to be balanced I went ahead and replaced the right side with another Midwest replacement (same woofer on the left). I think they sound a little better than when I bought them. but, could just be imagining that. I have been considering buying 2 more and replacing all the woofers. Why not, I already replaced the tweeters and caps? I haven't done that yet though.

I currently have a working k8k and a blown k8k I can let go of. and when I replace the other two, ill have two more. I plan on keeping my KG4 until I can save up the scratch for some forte or cornwall. But, that will be a long while. I really like the sound of my KG4, so I don't mind putting some more money in them. I of course will never get that money back on resale.

If you still have a working K8K available for sale, I'm an OEM purist and would love to get rid of a slight buzz on my KG4s. So glad I found this forum for future reference. Y'all saved me a lot of time troubleshooting. 

EDIT: I'm new to the forum so it won't let me send direct messages yet. Hopefully you'll see this @jef0707 

Edited by dakotacommon

On 12/4/2020 at 10:53 PM, Subtle Sam said:

OP here. Every good story needs a good ending so here goes. I received two different dm’s from forum members to send me an original replacement driver for the kg4’s. But in the end I decided to return the speakers to the seller who gave me a refund. Thanks to you guys for offering to help me out!

That’s not all though! I also got a message from another forum member fairly close to me. They invited me over to check out a pair of Heresy II’s that they weren’t using. Well I dropped by today, had a great chat, listened to some music on a very cool sound system, and ended up buying them from the generous person. So now I’m sitting back and enjoying. I love the Heresy’s so far, so much clarity and liveliness. 

Seems like things worked out for the best, all because of this forum. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Now just need a nice pair of subwoofers.😁

• 1 month later...

Hello all KG4 fans and assorted contributors to the cause!

I bought my pair of black (painted) Klipsch KG4s in 1986 or 85. I'm uncertain because that was a crazier time of my life for sure. I was in the USAF stationed at Rhein Main Air Force Base just outside of Frankfurt, Germany. We shared the runways with the  Flughafen Frankfurt am Main (airport). I purchased the speakers along with a bunch of other hifi gear at the tech exchange club on base. All I have left are those speakers. It's a difficult and depressing exercise to retrace where everything else has gone. I almost parted with the KG4s as well but my wife encouraged me to hang on to them even if I wasn't using them.  

Fast forward to recently. I'm medically retired with more free time and I have hooked the speakers to a beat-up Pioneer SX-580 and rediscovered audio nirvana! I forgot how sweet old gear can sound. Especially the effortlessly driven Klipsch. 

Unfortunately I'm hearing the dreaded tic, slight buzz or stray vibration that's been described in this post. So, I'm also interested to hear if anyone is selling their K8K driver as well.