Decware SE84C Zen Triode?

JohnW

I believe you will like your purchase even if PP. It will still have the tube sound. It will probably be class A/B whereas all SET tube amplifiers are class A. There is a difference in sound but I enjoy the sound of both. My preference generally runs to the SET or in a SS amplifier SE class A. There is a loyal following in both types. 

As far as your last post, you will not have any crossover distortion in your amp. PP amplifiers are biased high enough to eliminate crossover distortion. You can raise the bias in a PP amplifier where it will stay in class A longer and depending on your room, speakers and listening level, may not ever get out of class A. A few months ago I built a well designed SS push pull class A/B amplifier and spent close to what you just paid for your amp just for parts and the sound is outstanding. It is the designer of the circuit that makes all the difference. 

• Like 1

How about, we were talking the other day and was asking if you were looking at a couple of your first choices. You had pulled the trigger on the Jolida.

Going to say you made a decision.

Am not going to bring you down.

Thinking you will love it. If you make another decision well alright. You will have choices, options. Please relax and if you find your decision is a mistake somehow well cool. It takes some time and feel you are wanting a keeper. It is on the way. As for tube preamps, well that may well be your next step.  Many to choose from there.

Your ears will tell you what you want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billybob said:

How about, we were talking the other day and was asking if you were looking at a couple of your first choices. You had pulled the trigger on the Jolida.

Going to say you made a decision.

Am not going to bring you down.

Thinking you will love it. If you make another decision well alright. You will have choices, options. Please relax and if you find your decision is a mistake somehow well cool. It takes some time and feel you are wanting a keeper. It is on the way. As for tube preamps, well that may well be your next step.  Many to choose from there.

Your ears will tell you what you want.

Thanks, BB..I'm good. I admit, I'm a bit shocked at my sudden mania about the whole subject.

It seems I'm on a mission.

I mean, these are pretty high quality problems, right? Finding something that rewards my listening even more than it is now? A worthwhile pursuit.

But yeah, it's kind of grabbed me, hasn't it? LOL

• Like 2

Wow, now here's a surprise. I was doing random searches on Ebay for Magnavox amps, and I came across the stereo that started it all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnavox-2ST294-AM-FM-Micromatic-Turntable-Stereo-Tube-Console-1961-Mid-Century/203128583550?hash=item2f4b68357e:g:INMAAOSwP2VfHNnT

Six years old with one ear planted firmly in a speaker grille of one of these, listening to Whole Lotta Love from Led Zeppelin II. in This is ridiculous.

I remember every detail of this console (mostly because I was all of 30" tall when we met). I remember the weave of that grille fabric, the black flecks the finish, the feel of the doors on top when you slid them across their runners, the shape of the knobs, the word "STEREOPHONIC" on the controls...that tonearm.

Man, everything is there. Weird.

s-l1600l.jpg

s-l1600k.jpg

s-l1600j.jpg

s-l1600g.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing I have noticed about the adding the Parasound: while it sounds richer and fuller and more detailed, the soundstage is less distinct without it. With the Marantz alone, the soundstage seemed wider and deeper. Instruments in good recordings had a more distinct location in 3d space. 

I’m hoping the Jolida will remedy that.

i also just discovered that it takes a good 300 HOURS for tubes to break in and open up! Wow! How much of a difference should I expect to hear?

6 hours ago, JohnW said:

I admit, I'm a bit shocked at my sudden mania about the whole subject.

Yeah, me too.  I don't want tubes, I don't need tubes but I find myself wondering A LOT about the sound.

I give you full credit for at least starting a thread.  I've been lurking on the Tube forum, something I never did in the past trying to make some sense of tube integrated amps and trying not to go down the rabbit hole.

Anyway, I won't thread crap on your topic any more than I already have, but I am following with interest.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JohnW said:

Perhaps I should simply get the Reisong too and see what all the fuss is about.

Wish I knew an audiophile nearby...:D

If you can afford it why not? I read all the audio rags in the 70's and 80's wondering how the other amps sound. I now have most of the different flavors of sound. I honestly do not know how many I have. The old saying is musicians listen to music and audiophiles listen to equipment. I will not argue with that statement. All I can say is I am happy being whatever.  

16 hours ago, JohnW said:

Running digital files through my Marantz, even in Pure Direct mode, really won't give me a true sense of "the tube sound?"

Now don't be mixing up digital vs analog sound with tube sound. You can play digital music through a tube setup and still benefit from the tubes. As a matter of fact, I have a cd player that has tubes in the output stage. There are some of us that prefer all analog over digital music. You will start a heated argument every time you bring it up. It only matters to you, and what you like. I prefer all analog, but I still own a thousand cd's and several expensive players.

• Like 1

I’m sorry but for me push pull tube amps sound no better than a high quality solid state amp. I’ve owned plenty of both 

and the similarities between the two don’t favor push pull tubes enough, if at all, to deal with tubes in general. On the other hand single ended tube designs are another story and my favorite by far. Even single ended, single stage Class A solid state amps amps such as Nelson Pass  First Watt “F” series sound much more to my liking. And like all things audio - my ears, my room, associated gear etc. etc etc. ..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Madman1 said:

Any interest in a Dynaco sca-35 with Dave Gillespie efb upgrades? Also has st-35 output boards in it. Puts out a solid 17.5 watts. 

1) What’s the difference between an SCA and an ST?

2) Who’s Dave Gillespie?

3) efb?

4) what difference do the output boards make? 
5) What are output boards?

Do I really need to know how to build an amp before I can enjoy it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, JohnW said:

So if SET is the way to go,  what's the point of having a push-pull or ultralinear when you could go solid state?

Push pull amps usually have more wattage, therefore play louder. This is important if you have less efficient speakers. A single ended amp may sound weak and thin when trying to power inefficient speakers, where as an ultralinear, or push pull will sound much more dynamic. I would say that a push pull amp does sound closer to a solid state amp then a set amp, but tubes will still have their own signature sound.

Now, if you really want to get confused, we can talk about how different tubes sound different from each other. An EL-84 tube amp will have a different sound than an EL-34 tube amp. A KT-88 amp will have its own signature. Then there's the new manufactured tubes vs the vintage tube sound. One advantage (or disadvantage) of having tube amps is you can tailor the sound to your liking by trying different tubes. This can get very expensive in a hurry, especially if you have an amp with lots of tubes!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnW said:

1) What’s the difference between an SCA and an ST?

2) Who’s Dave Gillespie?

3) efb?

4) what difference do the output boards make? 
5) What are output boards?

Do I really need to know how to build an amp before I can enjoy it?

Dang, I hope not unless you want to.

Jolida made a tube output CD player. A couple of members here

have had them.

16 hours ago, JohnW said:

Thanks, BB..I'm good. I admit, I'm a bit shocked at my sudden mania about the whole subject.

It seems I'm on a mission.

I mean, these are pretty high quality problems, right? Finding something that rewards my listening even more than it is now? A worthwhile pursuit.

But yeah, it's kind of grabbed me, hasn't it? LOL

Lol, and good for you.

Have been looking at the passive preamp by Schiit lately after one came up for sale recently in the garage section.

Good reviews, and inexpensive. Depending on how many sources you listen to, may be something to consider. First, will be interested in hearing your impressions with the Marantz.

Think your mission, since you have chosen, it seems, is not a mission impossible.

There, I've said it.

• Like 1