Decware SE84C Zen Triode?

JohnW

1 hour ago, JohnW said:

So what’s this I read about warming up your tube gear before you use it?

Tubes have heaters in them, that's the glow you see. A tube functions better after it's warmed up. 5 minutes or so is all it takes, though many people say tubes sound better after an hour of playing. I think that way also, but I wonder if it's just my brain getting used to the tubes sound.  Every amp is a little different, and you'll soon discover what warm up period your amp likes.

• Like 2

Ok, first impressions, first night, out of the box: 

Smoother and more detailed than the Parasound. Better-defined soundstage. I'm feeding it the preouts from my Marantz SR7013. Switching back and forth between room correction via Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and Pure Direct, I think I prefer room correction. Kind of a weird room. But I need to recalibrate soon with the 3502p in the signal path. I've got some weird bass thing going on. May need to relocate the sub. 

By the way, it sounds fantastic. But so did the Parasound. 

Bit of a buzz plugged straight into the wall, but it's inaudible while listening.  I'll try it in my power conditioner tomorrow. 

It comes with a 60-day money back guarantee, so I'm going to see what happens. 

It's true about it revealing shitty recordings. Turns out some of my favorite songs are shitty recordings. 

But Norah Jones, Nat Cole, Sinatra, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Johnny Cash, Diana Krall, Stan Getz, all sound amazing. 

Too much listening with my head tonight. Too focused on form. 

By the way, if you've never listened to this, listen to this: 

Natgeorge.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thing is tricky with movies, too. May need to find some box that switches between receiver speaker output and amp speaker output. Any ideas? 

Currently have the amp on and in my rack to see how warm it gets in there. 7.5" tall, 8" space. Warm, but not hot. Still, I may need to rebuild the rack and put the tubes on top, plus buy a fan for the top of the Marantz, which gets toasty as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnW said:

This thing is tricky with movies, too. May need to find some box that switches between receiver speaker output and amp speaker output. Any ideas? 

Currently have the amp on and in my rack to see how warm it gets in there. 7.5" tall, 8" space. Warm, but not hot. Still, I may need to rebuild the rack and put the tubes on top, plus buy a fan for the top of the Marantz, which gets toasty as well. 

Explain the tricky part?

Yes would plan on what you are saying about rack. etc.

7 minutes ago, JohnW said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0796KGVXT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have both this and a Niles switcher, this seems better IMO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

Explain the tricky part?

Yes would plan on what you are saying about rack. etc.

Ok, here's my detailed technical analysis: something doesn't sound right.

I'm sure this is about what the receiver is sending the amp. I'll try running Audyssey again with the Jolida, and if that doesn't get me closer to sorted, I'll get a switching box...because the receiver is wonderful with movies, and just needed something extra for music. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnW said:

Ok, here's my detailed technical analysis: something doesn't sound right.

I'm sure this is about what the receiver is sending the amp. I'll try running Audyssey again with the Jolida, and if that doesn't get me closer to sorted, I'll get a switching box...because the receiver is wonderful with movies, and just needed something extra for music. 

If a switching box is needed then.

Maybe you are still wanting to use the Parasound also.

Was going to recc a Niles switch as they are popular and a decent product I understand. Not the only but, decent. Think they have one with remote or manual. Anyway, planning is good.

Another poster chimed in about Niles.

No, that Amazon product would be perfect--if I can't make movies work with the Jolida. Not convinced it's necessary yet.

Can't keep both amps. Deal I made with the wife.  🤷‍♂️

Don't need to anyway. The amp is only to improve the 2-channel playback. 

I think the next order of business is a fresh room calibration and then possibly relocation of my sub. It's never really worked well in it's current position, and I don't have room for two. 

New parts for the rack on their way. The Jolida should look fantastic on top!

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 10:22 AM, kevinmi said:

One advantage (or disadvantage) of having tube amps is you can tailor the sound to your liking by trying different tubes.

This can get very expensive in a hurry, especially if you have an amp with lots of tubes!

This is why I balk at jumping into the tube world.  It's down the (very expensive) rabbit hole!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JohnW said:

No, that Amazon product would be perfect--if I can't make movies work with the Jolida. Not convinced it's necessary yet.

Can't keep both amps. Deal I made with the wife.  🤷‍♂️

Don't need to anyway. The amp is only to improve the 2-channel playback. 

I think the next order of business is a fresh room calibration and then possibly relocation of my sub. It's never really worked well in it's current position, and I don't have room for two. 

New parts for the rack on their way. The Jolida should look fantastic on top!

Cool...