Decware SE84C Zen Triode?

JohnW

38 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

This is why I balk at jumping into the tube world.  It's down the (very expensive) rabbit hole!

My 2A3 amps still have the same tubes in them that I purchased with the amps, and they were used then.. almost 15 years ago. Now... I would like to get some new tubes. I need one for the line stage, and not many for the others, so it's not too bad.  🙄

Dave... how things going up your way?

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

Dave... how things going up your way?

Couple of answers.  Broadly speaking, everything is good.

Despite the national freakouts, there have only been about 1700 deaths from the virus here in West Virginia.  Most of those deaths were those over 70 with other major medical problems.

As for me I've had a bunch of medical problems like prostate cancer but that seems to be gone after radiation and follow up chemo. 

I've dumped about 40 pounds down to 225 since the start of the year.  I haven't been that light since the last century.  The weight drop has done wonders for my all my vital signs.  I play racquetball and pickleball 5 days a week.  Nothing to complain about. 

How are things in your neck of the wood?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, billybob said:

Guessing you are using the amp and something else using the same pre-outs?

Would reposition the sub before Audessey run, of course.

Will do.

No, I may have to bypass the amp for the fronts and use just the receiver for movies.

• Like 1

Awesome about the weight loss!

18 hours ago, wvu80 said:

How are things in your neck of the wood?

Ah... trying to reply from my phone last night and time got away...

Awesome about the weight loss and exercise! I have been fortunate to We are doing ok here in north North Georgia, other than the Covid-19 issues everywhere. Our company does regular testing of staff and clients, and have had to quarantine folks. One of our staff passed away from it and her husband a little over a week later.

Wife and I try to do a walk/jog for a couple miles two or three times a week, and I have stayed the same weight for the past 15 years, hovering between 145-150. I'm pretty sure it's the genes. We eat pretty healthy food, almost zero sodas, etc.

Bruce

• Thanks 1

Ok, Day two was yesterday. Did a recalibration, repositioned the sub, and am happy to report that movies are quite enjoyable again.

I have a weird room--vaulted ceilings--12' high on the speaker wall, 8' high on the back, listening wall. Ideally, I need to position my sub up front, so the waves are compressed and bounced the same way the fronts are...but there's no room. So I think I've found the best possible spot in the rear of the room. Still issues, but Audyssey crosses my Cornwalls over at 40 Hz, so the sub is on duty only for the low low frequencies. Seems to come in a bit abruptly. May need to figure out how to smooth the falloff.

The Audyssey MultEQ app comes with this amazing curve editor feature. After it analyzes the room, it tweaks the receiver for a flat response, and generates a graph with a curve representing the response it's achieved (also gives you a before and after--really amazing stuff). You can plot points on the curve and edit it. So I punched up a bit of the upper midrange, and I think, aside from the abrupt subwoofer, we're good.

This thing gets warm, and my rack is kind of enclosed on three sides, with little moving air. I'll be rebuilding the rack and putting the Jolida on top of it for cooling purposes (and prominent display) this weekend.

Now for some time listening.

Oh, and obligatory unboxing pics:

i-Jr8MkS8-X4.jpg

i-WjCKrDq-X4.jpg
i-R7FZtKG-X4.jpg
i-W4HQzfS-X4.jpg
i-6vB3KNB-X4.jpg
i-PdV5pmV-X4.jpg
i-tZ9HVzm-X4.jpg
i-fjZFqHn-X4.jpg
i-kdfJCD8-X4.jpg
i-PzRsd7p-X4.jpg
i-WPGpkms-X4.jpg
i-62qmXjQ-X4.jpg
i-7vdXJ7m-X4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think you may have your tubes in wrong. I think the 12ax7 should be in the 2 inner spots, and the 12at7 in the outer spots. I could be wrong, but I looked at some pics on the Jolida site, and thats what it looked like. Also, all tube amps I've owned are set up that way also. Check your owners manual for me 

• Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 3:09 PM, kevinmi said:

I think you may have your tubes in wrong. I think the 12ax7 should be in the 2 inner spots, and the 12at7 in the outer spots. I could be wrong, but I looked at some pics on the Jolida site, and thats what it looked like. Also, all tube amps I've owned are set up that way also. Check your owners manual for me 

Yikes! You're right! Nice catch, Kevin! Thank you.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Did putting the tubes in the correct positions change the sound much?

YES!!!!! OMG!!! I’d been tweaking the eq, trying to isolate the edge out of the high end.

I did this and the soundstage opened up, every sound became distinct and the edge vanished. 

ok, I get it. I’ve got maybe, 30 hours on this thing...so it should be opening up around New Year. At this rate I think it’s safe to say the Parasound will be up for sale soon.

THANK YOU, KEVIN!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JohnW said:

It's too soon to tell for sure, but I MAY have reached the point where I'm actually satisfied with the sound of my system.

Don’t get too excited..for most of us this satisfaction is only temporary. 😆
Congratulations!
And good looking out @kevinmi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

Are you saying audiophiles are always looking for something to make it better? I already know the answer so welcome to the audiophile crazy. 

I've found I can live with most audio devices short term. Just keep listening the long term listening is what seals the deal..

18 hours ago, JohnW said:

You guys don't think I fried anything, do you?

I doubt it. The only difference is the 12ax7 is a little more powerful than the at7, meaning it plays a little louder, and draws a little more current, but not enough to cause problems. Besides, you would know if you fried something!