R41M help with amp please

Madvillain3000

Hello everyone, I'm new to the group and hope I find some help here... 

I honestly don't know much about speaker and audio set ups, but I hope to learn. 

My wife surprised me with a set of Klipsch R41M speakers for my birthday last week. I don't know if they're good or not. I know for most people these are "cheap" low end stuff, but that's most expensive piece of audio I've even owned and well I'm very excited to get them up and running.  

Due to family circumstances I can't afford any expensive hardware to get these running, but for now I would like to at least enjoy them with my Technics 1200MK2 turntable inherited from my father so I guess I need a preamp and an amp to get these speakers up and running? 

My budget is max $200 and I've seen some pre amps and amps with decent reviews on Amazon but I don't want to get something that will damage the speakers or totally underpowered them, or sound really s**t. I don't know if I should go with that or invest in integrated amp. I know some people can afford amps for 1k+ but sadly I'm not that guy. I would love to have a way to connect my computer to it too since it will be a setup in my home office and I listed to a lot of AppleMusic while I work so I guess I need BT connection or a amp with DAC of some sorts?  Should I go with separate units I find on Amazon, or should I aim for a integrated amp? 

I listen to a lot of classic R&B, soul, funk and 80s/90s hip hop. Also lots of orchestrated soundtracks on vinyl.

I know for $200 it's a lot to ask, but I home someone here can throw some recommendations at me. Best I would hope for is a link to Amazon.ca for whatever suggestions. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Madvillain3000
  • Like 2

My best recommendation would be to look on the used market.  Look for a receiver or integrated amp from brands like Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Sony, Pioneer.

If you want to use your turntable make sure what you buy has a dedicated phono input.  Unfortunately the newer the receiver/integrated amp the less likely it'll have a phono input, though.  The older it is the less likely it'll have bluetooth.

Congratulations on your new speakers!  Pretty awesome wife to surprise you like that. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ILI_MeloManiac said:

Buy a pre-owned amplifier (or: you may find one on your attic) for less than $100. Make sure it has a phono stage (it normally will).

Buy a Logitech blue-tooth dongle  for $23 and hook it up toe your AUX-IN .

Connect your speakers and your TT.

Done.

... NEVER sell your Technics 1200MK2!

Thanks man,

Yeah that Technics is never getting sold. I used to DJ in the 90s, lots of memories. I initially when to a audiophile Facebook group and people were bi**ing about my turntable that I should get rid of it because its not a audiophile equipment lol 

What I am trying to understand is what power on the amp I should be looking for to match those speakers. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

They are 50W, so most amps in the user market will do.

These R41M speakers are for small rooms, nearby listening. They will sound 'thin' in the low frequencies (they start at 67Hz, while more expensive speakers will go as low as 40Hz), so placement will be crucial (in corner, 1 ft away from the wall), and you may consider buying an amp with a 'subwoofer out' and later invest in a decent subwoofer. Once you add a subwoofer to your system, they will definitely fill the room.

5 hours ago, ILI_MeloManiac said:

They are 50W, so most amps in the user market will do.

These R41M speakers are for small rooms, nearby listening. They will sound 'thin' in the low frequencies (they start at 67Hz, while more expensive speakers will go as low as 40Hz), so placement will be crucial (in corner, 1 ft away from the wall), and you may consider buying an amp with a 'subwoofer out' and later invest in a decent subwoofer. Once you add a subwoofer to your system, they will definitely fill the room.

Its for my small office, very small room, so I can enjoy music while working from home. I don't expect anything mind-blowing with these but maybe they'll surprise me. Should have amp and wires by weekend to test them out. 

• Like 1

Yes, good luck, let us know how it turns out! My daughter has a 30-ish year old receiver that I bought for $2 at a yard sale because I had drooled over that model in college. It works! I bought her R51's and they sound great in her small apartment. Up close as you plan to use them I am sure the 41's will do great.

• Like 1