JWC MiniPunch Driver Choice

J_Altec

Hello Klipsch Audio Community, 

I am happy to say this is my first post on the forum! 

I have recently discovered JWC's MiniPunch design, and I am very interested in building a pair.  

I have thoroughly read through all the posts on this forum regarding the MiniPunch and I have been in touch with JWC, who has kindly provided answers to my questions regarding construction.

From what I have read and looking at the couple of rough measurements that have been posted for the MiniPunch, it seems response begins to drop around 600Hz. 

My dilemma is that I run JBL 2440s on 2390 lenses (+2405 tweeters) and the lowest I can cross is 800Hz

Is it possible, that with the right driver choice, the MiniPunch could be comfortably run up to 800Hz without much drop in response?

I assume the design of the cabinet itself is going to impose a cut-off no matter how well spec'd the drivers put in it are. Will the cabinet itself even allow a set of drivers to get up to 800Hz comfortably?  

Can any members that have MiniPunches offer any comments on this? 

I have been educating myself on Thiele/Small parameters and driver suitability, but I still admittedly have much to learn. 

Through my own research, comparison and application of T/S knowledge the driver I am considering is the B&C 12NDL76. 

https://www.bcspeakers.com/en/products/lf-driver/12-0/8/12ndl76

My reasoning for this driver being a possible contender: 

- High sensitivity at 800Hz region

- High EPB of 238Hz, making it very suitable for horn loading

- Fairly low Mms 

-The impedance curve doesn't look 'wild' at 800Hz 

Is my reasoning misplaced? 

JWC mentioned to me to look at the performance over an octave, so in this case 80Hz and 800Hz. The chart for the B&C 12NDL76 shows 83dB at 80Hz and 100dB at 800Hz. 

There is also the slightly more powerful, but less sensitive B&C 12NW76.

https://www.bcspeakers.com/en/products/lf-driver/12-0/8/12nw76

In comparison to the DL76, this has a Fs of 40Hz rather than 50, and 100W higher nominal power rating. I'm not sure if this offers any advantage in this situation? 

Any suggestions, wisdom or advice would be greatly appreciated. I very much hope I can get the 'green light' I am looking for so I can go ahead and build a pair of MiniPunches! 

Thanks, 

J.

Edited by J_Altec

22 minutes ago, justinsweber said:

-Ive built 4 pairs of the JWC, give me a call to discuss. 

Justin 949-636-9076

Al has designed a 3way crossover for this.

In short... the 12LFA from eminence is what youll want to use. and will extend upto your crossover point. 

--Justin -do you have the plans for the Mini-Punch

On 11/29/2020 at 8:31 PM, justinsweber said:

I do, but thats something you need to get from JC. I dont think he has made them public domain. 

I will tell you, Ive owned a Jub Clone and a DBCornscala... these handily beat both. Insanely heavy when fully assembled. 

Justin , do they have a slamming bass

Marvel (Bruce) post is the thread info that has what is needed to build. Great guy.

Dave Harris, a great past forum member, previously had a flat pack, but got out of audio all together.  Great guy.

Justin Weber has the most experience with this speaker besides me.  Great Guy.  

I pulled a later thread from this forum about this speaker as there was irritating comments (from folks who had no experience with this speaker) .

This speaker was designed with intentional compromises for it's size.  I'm fully aware of what they are.  Example:  lol the "horn is short and the throat is so big with a poor compression ratio."   JC:  Yes thank you; I know what I have here.

I had 3 very detailed videos on Youtube on how to build the minipunch.  Unfortunately, there was an individual that wanted to make a contract to build this speaker (Not Justin).  Yea...money involved and such.  I was uncomfortable with the process.....then I got the ... well "I really can build this w/o your permission".   It was official after that. ........ NO full public info on my hobby stuff. 

I will compare this speaker to no other at least online....  This has slam...thwack.  No the low end thunder obviously.  Horn loaded tractrix.  Ported tuned to around 40Hz.  If you have a sub, U can consider tune to about 70Hz.  Or plug both ports for no ported at all.  

I've made about 5 more Bass horns since this one.  I flirted with the idea of posting my "snail horn" on here.  But dear god, it would have pulled out the big A holes.  Plz.  Spare me.  No more.  Future fun hobbies won't be posted here. I will share with friends.

The 1st driver the OP mentions is a fantastic driver.   Has potential to get out to 800Hz but honestly....one would just have to try and see.  Easily gets out there but whether horn loaded out there...I don't know.   When I mean "try", I'm not talking about some software of predictability.

The driver Justin mentioned is one for sure to give a thwack to the chest at a reasonable cost.  Will not be the best at 800Hz IMO.

jc

13 minutes ago, jwc said:

Marvel (Bruce) post is the thread info that has what is needed to build. Great guy.

Dave Harris, a great past forum member, previously had a flat pack, but got out of audio all together.  Great guy.

Justin Weber has the most experience with this speaker besides me.  Great Guy.  

I pulled a later thread from this forum about this speaker as there was irritating comments (from folks who had no experience with this speaker) .

This speaker was designed with intentional compromises for it's size.  I'm fully aware of what they are.  Example:  lol the "horn is short and the throat is so big with a poor compression ratio."   JC:  Yes thank you; I know what I have here.

I had 3 very detailed videos on Youtube on how to build the minipunch.  Unfortunately, there was an individual that wanted to make a contract to build this speaker (Not Justin).  Yea...money involved and such.  I was uncomfortable with the process.....then I got the ... well "I really can build this w/o your permission".   It was official after that. ........ NO full public info on my hobby stuff. 

I will compare this speaker to no other at least online....  This has slam...thwack.  No the low end thunder obviously.  Horn loaded tractrix.  Ported tuned to around 40Hz.  If you have a sub, U can consider tune to about 70Hz.  Or plug both ports for no ported at all.  

I've made about 5 more Bass horns since this one.  I flirted with the idea of posting my "snail horn" on here.  But dear god, it would have pulled out the big A holes.  Plz.  Spare me.  No more.  Future fun hobbies won't be posted here. I will share with friends.

The 1st driver the OP mentions is a fantastic driver.   Has potential to get out to 800Hz but honestly....one would just have to try and see.  Easily gets out there but whether horn loaded out there...I don't know.   When I mean "try", I'm not talking about some software of predictability.

The driver Justin mentioned is one for sure to give a thwack to the chest at a reasonable cost.  Will not be the best at 800Hz IMO.

jc

That really sucks. I have enjoyed your advanced DIY products. It sucks that there isn't a good way to share these. Soon I'll have a shed built and a good place to rock your straight tractrix horns again...

2 minutes ago, seti said:

Soon I'll have a shed built and a good place to rock your straight tractrix horns again...

A museum of speaker history?

James, I'm thinking of building the mini-punch instead of the University Classic. 

I'll have to copy these measurement out before they go away.

Bruce

Just now, Marvel said:

James, I'm thinking of building the mini-punch instead of the University Classic. 

Bruce

Nah I donate history stuff to the Klipsch museum.

I need a shop to store all my tools and electronics parts...

1 minute ago, Marvel said:

Bruce

Bruce.  That thread will go no where.  It is fine.  However, if jerktards get on that thread, I'll ask the respectable forum moderators to trash it.

Seti is a great example of Horn love.  He is on the Klipsch museum board, has amazing knowledge of Klipsch history and items,  has a horn loving website, and has a lot of my fun spirited prototypes that he doesn't spew all over with crazy claims.  Perfect guy to share my novelties with.

jc

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jwc said:

The driver Justin mentioned is one for sure to give a thwack to the chest at a reasonable cost.  Will not be the best at 800Hz IM

jc

JC , I remember your  Snails build thread  long ago , I would have liked to hear them play   ,  quick question ,  Had you done a 15 inch woofer version of the Mini-Punch  , 6 inches wider and 6 inches taller would that be ok ? 

I got to hear all of the JC creations.  They all had specific design goals and major impact when you listened to them.  No foo foo stuff.  Man speakers.  The snails were incredibly powerful.  Fun times when he was actively churning those DIY designs out.

On 12/2/2020 at 9:44 PM, jwc said:

Bruce.  That thread will go no where.  It is fine.  However, if jerktards get on that thread, I'll ask the respectable forum moderators to trash it.

Seti is a great example of Horn love.  He is on the Klipsch museum board, has amazing knowledge of Klipsch history and items,  has a horn loving website, and has a lot of my fun spirited prototypes that he doesn't spew all over with crazy claims.  Perfect guy to share my novelties with.

jc

Your too kind.  I love your bass horn designs 1,000% fun. I loaned the Snails to a trusted local friend who didn't have any speakers and he is running them with JBL horns and drivers up top. Stacey bought me Belles so the Belles had to go to the living room. WAF and alll... I pushed it pretty good... When I get my shed built I'm going to put 18"s in the Snails(will need a recomendation) and use as a sub then your straight tractrix horn will pickup from there topped with some giant multicell horns... It is going to be fun 8-)

I hate what happened with sharing design but hope you find a safe way to share your ideas in the future. For those that have seen and heard it is fun..