Calling all crossover gurus. I have a crossover question re a custom'ish center channel.

John_Galt_2

Hi Folks.  I could use some advice please.

I have a KLF C7 and a pair of KLF 30s.  The 30's have been braced, glued, Crites crossovers, and now house Dave's MAHL tweeters, The Crites A-55Gs, and the Ciare woofers.  After lowering the output on the tweeters via the equalizer, I LOVE  these things.  But for HT the center channel is now lacking in comparison to the towers, especially in panning.

To remedy this, I want to put a MAHL tweeter and an A-55G into a custom sealed box containing the existing 8" C7 woofers.  All parts have been acquired, and were acquired before I realized how much I don't know about crossovers, but I digress.  (I'm still trying to learn how to read a crossover diagram and not doing so good.) 

My plan, so far,  is to use a KLF 30 crossover in it.  That will match the tweeter and the squawker perfectly, and crossover to the 8" woofers at 825 hz.  That being said, how will this crossover affect the sound from the woofers and the volume balance between the drivers?   (I'm already adjusting the levels on the tweeters through the equalizer as it's just too loud, not bright, for my ancient ears.)   

Feedback is appreciated, but please, keep it constructive and in simple terms.    

John

17 minutes ago, John_Galt_2 said:

Bump

Why the bump, John?  What are you looking for from the K community?  Do you have your KLF 30 XO, or do you need an XO?

I ask because you are trying to create something virtually none of us have done.  I love DIY and if you want a center speaker project then I say go for it, but understand you are going to end up with something that takes up your time and money and probably won't work all that well.

Your C7 is a pretty good center on its own.  I don't know why it doesn't sound good with your mod'd 30's.  My advice would be for you to try to dial in the C7 using the electronic XO's in your AVR.  How does Audyssey have it configured in terms of XO and EQ?

1 hour ago, GeorgeK said:

I think Crites has a titanium diaphragm for the C7 midrange

Yes Crites does, it is the same one that is used in k75, k76, 79s and others. I installed one in my klf-c7 and it was a major improvement. Some will poo poo on this but I replaced the ferrofluid with new on all three tweeters (klf-30s - k79s & klf-c7 - k90) when I installed the new Crites Ti diaphragms.

• Like 1

Sorry all, I realize I wasn't all that clear.   Let me try again.

As to my current C7, it has the Crites Ti Diaphragm in it, which did improve the sound, but I feel it's still lagging compared to my towers.  (I know, when I first got it I thought it was fantastic, but that's before the upgrade bug hit)

My plan is to build a new sealed center speaker using the same tweeters and squawker drivers (and horns) I'm using in my KLF 30 towers, BUT reusing the 8" woofers from the C7.  To sort this out, I will be using a KLF 30 crossover.  I have the KLF 30 crossover, the tweeter and the squawker with matching horn already, so I'm committed to trying this idea out. 

I'm sure that everything will be fine with the tweeters and the squawkers, since they are identical to what I am using in the towers, but I want to get your opinions on what the KLF 30 crossover would do to the sound from the two 8" C7 woofers. 

1. Would they overpower the sound levels from the tweeter/Squawker of the new center?   
  2. Would they be significantly softer? 
  3. Would the sound  be all screwed up from them for a reason unknown to me
  4. Or something I haven't thought of?

From reading other threads on crossovers etc., I've gotten the impression that many of you out there can look at a crossover diagram,  interpret it at a glance and extrapolate approximate impacts of an idea like this, which is why I'm throwing this out there.  Obviously I can just build it and see what happens, but I wanted to get opinions first.

Also, I could post the crossover diagrams for both the KLF C7 and the KLF 30 if that might help.

Thanks All!

John

As most may already know the schematics are already posted inside of this category  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/113804-klipsch-crossovers/

Somewhat of a long shot but.....

Maybe you could try and take the mid /high section of the klf-30 schematic and the woofer section of the klf-c7 schematic and put them together. I doubt it would actually be that simple though as for one thing the output if the 8” drivers will not match that of the 12” units. But not to say you couldn't add L-pads to tone down the mid/highs. Just a thought.

This may be the only option to try as it is very unlikely that you will get anyone to design an xover from scratch short of paying an engineer.

20 hours ago, Alexander said:

Yes Crites does, it is the same one that is used in k75, k76, 79s and others. I installed one in my klf-c7 and it was a major improvement. Some will poo poo on this but I replaced the ferrofluid with new on all three tweeters (klf-30s - k79s & klf-c7 - k90) when I installed the new Crites Ti diaphragms.

A friend of mine went through this with a pair of old Stratus Golds. He said the ferrofluid was gummed up something awful. Cleaning and replacement made a big difference.

3 hours ago, Blvdre said:

A friend of mine went through this with a pair of old Stratus Golds. He said the ferrofluid was gummed up something awful. Cleaning and replacement made a big difference.

Same deal here, wasn't as difficult to clean out the old goo as has been described by some. The kit that was used from Parts Express had some blotting paper and also used folded sticky side out post-it notes.

• Like 1