Heresey 1 or Cornwall11 ??

Sailer1

Hi! First timer here. I will try to be brief. Have a pair of Heresy1s that I purchased new in late 70s. Always happy with them. Crites capped last year. Moved into what should be my final home. I am  old as dirt but my ears still seem to be working.

I am using a 10 year old Onkyo HT R640 and would like to keep it. Has a powered sub. I would like your advice as to whether or not Cornwall 11 s would improve sound? Would I hear a difference? There are some Cornwalls nearby.

Room is smallish with high ceilings and back and one side opening up to breakfast nook and kitchen. At the moment watch movies with fire stick and listen to Youtube music. May get a streaming device for Pandora. Have a decent technics turntable with lots of old vinyl.

thanks for your time

I enjoy the forumn.

@Sailer1,

Welcome to the forum.

If this is for a stereo or stereo + subwoofer rig only, then maybe look for better amplification like a stereo integrated amp or multifunctional stereo receiver.  IMO, a pair of Heresys and a well integrated subwoofer "can" rival or even better a pair of Cornwalls.

Bill

• Like 1

I don't even think you need better amplification. Unless you're driving your Heresy's to clipping, there's no problem with your amp.

I can't recommend one speaker over the other (I run Heresy's with a sub and I'm satisfied) but I'm inclined to agree with Frzinvt and the larger Cornwall will likely be a step up -in efficiency, the ported design, and the larger woofer.

As long as the Cornwalls won't physically overwhelm the room I say give 'em a shot. You'll likely be able to sell either pair with little loss financially should you decide on one as a keeper.

13 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

I don't even think you need better amplification. Unless you're driving your Heresy's to clipping, there's no problem with your amp.

I can't recommend one speaker over the other (I run Heresy's with a sub and I'm satisfied) but I'm inclined to agree with Frzinvt and the larger Cornwall will likely be a step up -in efficiency, the ported design, and the larger woofer.

As long as the Cornwalls won't physically overwhelm the room I say give 'em a shot. You'll likely be able to sell either pair with little loss financially should you decide on one as a keeper.

It's not about power or clipping the amp. We are talking about a long in the tooth 5.1 home theater receiver. This kind of product should never be included in a high quality two channel music system. Unless someone is a neophyte who believes all amps sound the same. Surely that couldn't be the case in this forum.............🤣

I’m with Peter, if the Cornwalls are a decent price go for it, you could always sell them for what they cost if you don’t like them and the rental was free!

I am still using my old faithful Onkyo HT-R530 with my (modded) Cornwalls and it has plenty of power. The OR-EQ function really nails the the equivalent of a “loudness” button. 

Once you hear the 15” woofers  you will have a hard time trying to become that engaged with your Heresys. 

Heresys and a sub are nice, but you owe it to yourself to give the Corns a try.

You would have a nice start of an all Heritage surround too!

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

It's not about power or clipping the amp. We are talking about a long in the tooth 5.1 home theater receiver.

I agree that Cornwalls will probably be better than Heresys if your room will support them. I still want to stress that ANY speaker is going to benefit from something better than a Home Theater receiver. The difference will not be subtle.

Shakey

I have to agree, I used a 15 year old HT receiver for years, got away from the old HT receiver and the difference was easy to hear.

I still want to stress that ANY speaker is going to benefit from something better than a Home Theater receiver. The difference will not be subtle.

True, but I did run across a different HT amp that has a really good sounding preamp section so I use it now, it is at least as good as the DAC and made connecting things easier, only the preamp part is used. This was very surprising, but overall HT receivers are nowhere close to almost any other solution,. they just sound dull and flat for 2 ch. imo

And another vote for the Cornwall, and even the sub would not work as hard with a Cornwall compared to a Hersey.

• Like 1