OK you professional college grad folks what say you

USNRET

My son is attending Texas A&M. He will have enough hours to be a junior after the spring 2021 semester. His major is Biomedical Sciences with a lifelong ambition to go to med school and become a surgeon.
Today he received a job offer from his physics professor to be a teacher's assistant next semester.
Background resume is that he became certified as a CNA, phlebotomist and to administer EEGs and EKGs in high school. He interned at the children's hospital and assisted living facility during breaks and summers in high school.

Question: would the time required to properly perform as a TA (at $15.00 per hour) pad his resume for grad school application enough to offset the hours and loss of current study time? Current GPA 3.8 and I feel that he has the ability to better that with some more effort; he is not overly taxed with school work (according to me based on free time observed).

Greetings Shipmate and I hope you are doing well.   I'm a college dropout so don't meet the criterion to answer your question; but at the very least I think that experience would serve as a good tiebreaker.  I've talked to people on promotion boards in the military where they've said that applicants looked identical on paper and it came down to someone asking "Does anyone actually know any of these people?"  if someone said they used to be stationed with that person and didn't have anything negative to report, they got the nod. 

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Greetings Shipmate and I hope you are doing well

Finer than a frog's hair as long as painful house closing actually happens tomorrow but that's another story.
I agree that anything that would be a positive is a positive but, like you, I don't know how the admission boards view this. Does GPA (assuming lower due to time invested as a TA) count more or is that taken into consideration when leadership and mentoring experience as a TA is proven?
Us high school diploma / GED recipients don't have the scales to weigh the academia world thoughts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Finer than a frog's hair as long as painful house closing actually happens tomorrow but that's another story.
I agree that anything that would be a positive is a positive but, like you, I don't know how the admission boards view this. Does GPA (assuming lower due to time invested as a TA) count more or is that taken into consideration when leadership and mentoring experience as a TA is proven?
Us high school diploma / GED recipients don't have the scales to weigh the academia world thoughts.

When I retired from the Coast Guard, a retired Warrant that I served with for many years worked for a maritime company. He said that he couldn't guarantee me a job; but he had enough clout to guarantee me an interview. So I went, knowing absolutely NOTHING about the job. The interview went on for at least an hour. The lady interviewing me pointed to a foot high stack of paper and told me that "those are the applications of people that have actually done this job in another port."  What am I gonna do at that point?  She did tell me that she liked me enough that she didn't want the company to lose out, so she asked me if I'd be interested in being a project manager.  I said yes. But, then got a call saying that the department head had indicated that he simply would NOT consider anyone that didn't have a college education.  So, I took a job with the county and eventually retired with a pension higher than my 20 years of military service.  Best wishes to your son.   Just tell him to enjoy the mid-rats and keep his nose to the grind and he'll succeed. 

He will get into med school either way.  The resume indicates a high degree of commitment.  Will a TA in physics matter?  It won't hurt, it probably won't hurt his studies, but personally I don't see it as necessary given the rest.  Of course keep in mind I have never been on an admissions board.

• Like 1

While we are reminiscing...after USN retirement I was working at a company overhauling Southwest Airlines engines at $10 an hour; needed a j.o.b but didn't fit in as I worked 8 hours during an 8 hour shift and the union folks didn't like my efforts.
I answered an ad in the Dallas Morning News recruiting for a CNC machinist with no experience necessary, well that fit my qualifications.
Went to the small company and 'interviewed' for 6 hours with a tour of the place, introductions, etc.
I was asked what I expected to be paid. This place was interesting, would teach me new skills and was a closer commute so I answered $10 an hour. Dude looked at me and asked just how much experience I had? I responded well, 6 hours total now after today.
He asked why I should be paid that much?
Well, you advertised for no experience necessary and I can guarantee you that I can learn it faster than anyone else off the streets.
I was excused
One week later I was asked if I would accept the job on my terms. I did and it was a great job but then a better opportunity came calling and here I am today retiring from Lockheed after 21 years on New Years eve.

Sad part is that I have to go back to work with a new company on January 1st.

• Like 1

I've been told that I'm "too honest" in interview. I was once asked what interested the most about the job, and I blurted out "nothing.  This office is on the beach and I love the beach, so I'll be a happy employee."  Most of the interview board had a blank stare on their face and one lady leaned forward and said, "that's why I wanted to work here."  I explained that I'm going to be honest and not tell them what they want to hear which is what others applicants will say. 

No, I didn't get the job; but was placed on the "A" list for future job vacancies in the county. Much like the time I interviewed with the sheriff's department and didn't realize that my fly was not only down, but wide open. I stood in front of four ladies who were seated, so I was at eye level, shook their hands and thanked them for the interview. That was the worst interview ever. I really had changed my mind about wanting the job; but decided to go to the interview since the recruiters had invested the time to select me. At one point, I was daydreaming so much that I forgot the question and had to ask them to repeat it. Then on the way to my truck I noticed that my fly was wide open.  I was placed on the "A" list. 

One other time in an interview, I went on a rant about how Unimpressed I was with college graduates because they'd only proven that they could sit for 4 years in a classroom. What I failed to recognize were the two very large, framed pieces of paper that the interviewer had hanging on the wall. 

I didn't get the job.  But, I'm the type that will follow up and ask why I didn't get the job. This person was one of the few that actually met with me to discuss why I wasn't chosen. She said that I appeared to be a "behind the scenes" sort of guy and this job required  me to be up front in a crowd giving presentations. I admit, being in the spotlight is not my forte, I can do it when necessary but it doesn't come naturally. 

Had to give a presentation once and I was 95% unprepared. I knew what I was going to present; but they said that powerpoint or handouts were optional -- so I decided not to do one. I was the 17th presenter and EVERY one of those before me had powerpoint presentations and handouts.  I got nervous so when it was my turn, I decided that I needed to capture their attention some other way -- so I introduced myself and started lying -- I mean BIG FAT lies.  The audience was captivated, I know this because at one of the dinners someone came up to me and told what a bad *** I was. For the record, after five minutes of lying, I told them that nothing I had said was true -- but the purpose of the lies was to get the audiences attention, which I succeeded. 

38 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Sad part is that I have to go back to work with a new company on January 1st.

Last year, I considered going back to work so I applied for a position at the local fire department. Over 200 people applied and I made it into the top 12 -- didn't get the job; but with the Corona Virus on the horizon, that probably was a good thing. Would have paid very well; but I'm doing alright financially anyway. Miss the commeraderie of being part of a crew.

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

Question: would the time required to properly perform as a TA (at $15.00 per hour) pad his resume for grad school application

Just my 2 cents. I graduated from The University of North Florida  BBA 3.79

One of my best friends continued his academic studies and is a tenured professor at Notre Dame. Based on his shared knowledge with me, the further you advance in academia the more important it is to embrace associations with influential contacts that can help you in your journey. Physics professors are right now “rock stars” on campus. Bottom line, it’s only a semester, he will make a little money and gain knowledge on a fascinating discipline. 

• Like 1

It will look good on his resume, but more important are the connections that he will (or will not) make.  That will help him in his career more than anything.  Finding a job, partners to open a practice, etc. 

As I understand it, medical is difficult with insurance and you have to really hustle to make money.  OK when you are young, not so good when you are old.

Here is something that he is likely not aware of.  As a skilled professional, he will be caught in the professional trap where he only makes money while he is working.  The money is good and will cause him to skip other opportunities and he will have to work to earn, as opposed to say, owning a few fast food restaurants and having passive income. 

He can open a business, but success may depend on the skill of his employees and the good ones will always go open their own practice.  It also take a huge investment of time and money to cultivate talent and keep them.  I say 'may depend' because in medical, insurance companies are you actual client and doctors tend to treat their patients like crap (10 AM appoint and you actually see the doc at 11:30 - I'd lose all of my clients if treated then that way). 

He should also read "The Millionaire Next Door"  and the two follow up books.  Doctors and lawyers are the worst with money and tend to live right up to their means because they must fit the image.  I saw that with lawyers where they tried to live like they were making twice what they earned because they felt that they need to project a certain image to the world.  Never fall for this BS or you will work until the day that you die.  Live way below your means!

Speaking of which, professionals tend to due young. I see 60s and 70s all of the time.  You have to take care of yourself and the stress is awful. 

One last thing.  Doctors work crazy inhumane and dangerous hours during their residency because of a coked out doctor in the 1800s.  He snorted his way through dangerous hours and expected his residents to keep up.  Nice legacy.   I think he was William Halstead. 

• Like 2

I would encourage him to ask his academic advisor, AND walk over to the med building and ask to speak to someone in med surg education.  My concern would be in the commitment of time to be a TA.  If there is a payoff in terms of getting a great recommendation that might be the way to go.  If the the med surg doctors tell him that being a TA in physics is something they don't care about, then pass.

I have a couple of degrees, BA in psych and an MA in Counseling.

• Like 1

If med school admissions works like law school admissions, it goes like this:

1.  Automatic acceptance.  If your combined GPA and LSAT score exceeds a certain number, you are in.  Extracurricular activities mean nothing.  Prior work means nothing.

2.  Automatic rejection.  The opposite.

3.  Stand-by.  If you are not automatically rejected, and if there is room after all the auto-accepts, they start looking at resumes.

A 3.8 GPA is really good!  Summa cum laude.  Unless he bombs the graduate admissions test, he's very likely in.  I had a 3.75 GPA and a 90th percentile score on the LSAT (score of 40 out of 48), and I easily made it in at UT Law.  

Your son's best bet is to go the dean of admissions and ask what are the criteria for auto-acceptance.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, USNRET said:

If it were me I would school to become a surveyor.

Not a bad gig.

I've been a lawyer for almost 30 years.  My undergrad degree was in accounting.  I love being a solo attorney.  I pretty much work when or where I want, subject only to the need to complete the work I take.  It's extremely flexible, and of course, the hourly rate means I don't have to put in even close to 40 hours a week.  Sometimes, I get really busy for a short spell, and then I can return back to normal or skip a day or 2 if I want a break.

If I was building a career from scratch, I would strongly consider tax/law.  With tax returns, you have a growing and very predictable source of income, year over year.  You know who your clients will be, and you know about how much they are going to pay you.  You don't need a dedicated office or any overhead, and you don't have to choke payments out of insurance companies.  All you need is a computer, a phone, the internet and your knowledge and skill.  By supplementing the tax practice with law, you get the other stuff, such as real estate transactions, wills, probates, contracts, etc.  It's really good-paying filler work that gives you a break from tax returns.

Real estate appraisers seem to be doing well, too.  A combined broker's license, appraiser's license and/or surveyor's license could add up to a very good gig.

11 hours ago, USNRET said:

If it were me I would school to become a surveyor.

I love to wheel and deal, or at least used to.  It turns out that the most millionaires are auctioneers.  This makes sense because they are constantly exposed to good and know their value, know a good deal and are exposed to good deals as well as prominent people. 

That would have been a fund profession. 

40 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Not a bad gig.

I've been a lawyer for almost 30 years.  My undergrad degree was in accounting.  I love being a solo attorney.  I pretty much work when or where I want, subject only to the need to complete the work I take.  It's extremely flexible, and of course, the hourly rate means I don't have to put in even close to 40 hours a week.  Sometimes, I get really busy for a short spell, and then I can return back to normal or skip a day or 2 if I want a break.

Oh man, how do you manage your workload like that?  You need to write a book or do seminars if you have a secret (seriously - I know people that paid very large amounts to consultants as to how to manage their personal time and business).

Every professional that I know has this problem, things go smoothly, then a ton of work.  Always medium and large waves.   

2 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Oh man, how do you manage your workload like that?  You need to write a book or do seminars if you have a secret (seriously - I know people that paid very large amounts to consultants as to how to manage their personal time and business).

Every professional that I know has this problem, things go smoothly, then a ton of work.  Always medium and large waves.   

There's no secret.

Your rate might be higher than mine, but I currently bill at $250.  At 40 hours a week, this would be $500,000 annually.  I don't make nearly that kind of dough.  Never did.  4 hours a day is $250k - a very good living (in my mind).  3 hours a day is $187,500 (still very good in my mind).  You get the idea.

If a lawyer needs or wants to earn $500k, then, I can see why there might be time management issues.  If a lawyer is making half that or less while putting in a long week, he might be giving away too much time by doing work and not billing for it (maybe research, for example).  I bill for almost all my time.  It's very manageable.  It works even better now that I practice from home, rather than using part of my day to drive to and from an office.  I have almost $0 overhead.  Everything I earn goes to moi.

I work any time I feel like it.  Often, it includes weekends and evenings.  I spread it out over 7 days.  15 hours a week over 7 days is barely 2 hours a day.

One of the important things in my opinion is also not to procrastinate.  When I get an assignment, I do it.  I don't put it off.  For example, a client asked me by email last night to prepare a deed.  I did it first thing this morning.  I stay away from family law.  Family law can be a sure path to doing a lot of free work.

• Like 1