OK you professional college grad folks what say you

USNRET

26 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Do you mean to say that he is not going to follow in Big Daddy's footsteps and ride the deep blue sea?.....oh, wait.....

Actually he is considering it if the program stays close or better than now. Accepted to med school, service pays full ride to any school he is accepted to plus $2600 / month stipend with 1 to 1 year payback. 4 years school equal 4 years of service. Come is as an O-3 doc. Last I looked med officer O-3 was about 130k base pay. 

and I didn't missed the attempted, but failed, dig 

There is plenty of medical relevance in physics for starts. 2ndly he’ll add college level didactics to his resume a great plus in medicine. 3rdly it will demonstrate how well rounded and how well grounded he is foundationally. Ideally his physics work would allow him some participation in research, any research......  perfect for any science arena. 

I’d keep him away from CNA type work because of covid19. Having done this work he’s paid his dues. Step it up. Let him taste academia. He’ll enjoy the work, the people and the environment. He’ll get introduced to the politics in higher education. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/25/2020 at 9:41 AM, BigStewMan said:

I've been told that I'm "too honest" in an interview. I was once asked what interested them most about the job, and I blurted out, "nothing.  This office is on the beach, and I love the beach, so I'll be a happy employee."  Most of the interview board had blank stares on their face, and one lady leaned forward and said, "that's why I wanted to work here."  I explained that I would be honest and not tell them what they wanted to hear, which is what other applicants would say. 

No, I didn't get the job; but I was placed on the "A" list for future job vacancies in the county. Much like the time I interviewed with the sheriff's department and didn't realize that my fly was not only down but wide open. I stood in front of four seated ladies, so I was at eye level, shook their hands, and thanked them for the interview. That was the worst interview ever. Since then I decided to read some essays on corruption habits on the sites like this one  https://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/corruption/ in puprose to make the promise to learn from them.. So I changed my mmy mind about wanting the job but decided to go to the discussion since the recruiters had invested the time to select me. At one point, I was daydreaming so much that I forgot the question and had to ask them to repeat it. Then on the way to my truck, I noticed that my fly was wide open.  I was placed on the "A" list. 

I guess from this point I have to learn how to answer interview questions more strategically to avoid this straightforward effect, start more softly.

Edited by austinrobertson

I think it would be great experience that he won't get otherwise. Plus the additional connections with others he will make. With his current GPA and your observation that he is not taxed, I suspect he is disciplined with his time as needed and focused on what he needs to be when he needs to be. I just finished a doctorate and all throughout my educational career I worked a full-time job while attending school full-time. During my masters I carried a 3.87, while also balancing pastoring a church in addition to a full-time job and full-time course load. It is about discipline, focus, determination, and lots of caffeine and prayers. 

Whatever he chooses, it sounds like he is a high achiever. Congrats on that.

• 3 months later...

Additional experience never hurts; on the contrary. The more work experience your son has, the easier it will be for him to achieve his goal. In high school, I decided I wanted to be a psychologist. I learned all about how to get a psychology degree and moved towards my goal. I took free classes from psychologists all over the world. Sometimes these classes took place offline, and I talked to interested people in this field. They told me a lot of interesting things about my future profession.

Edited by Sarumann

• 4 weeks later...

I want to say that I want to return to the university, and not only)) Guys who got a bad recommendation. Or rather, someone bought the letter of recommendation writing services, I really need advice on this, now a friend recommends a service that he liked, but I would like to hear more people's opinions. I will be very grateful for the answer

Edited by GlenSerrano

On 8/4/2022 at 11:55 AM, Racer X said:

And yet here you are, trolling, contributing nothing.  Your puzzling hidden link to some odd youtube video was a waste of my time.

Thank you for proving my point...... and glad you enjoyed the youtube.  I'll try to post some more because I know how much you value your time.