Vintage Klipsch Cornwall 1 Speakers - $950 (St. Louis)

Edgar

7 hours ago, Gypsy said:

Give me a chance here.... 76' is my year and they are only 5 hours away!!!

Good luck

If you can, lean on the price a little.
The ad says....
"Open to reasonable offers."

00J0J_8zTCRnwPO6C_0qu0t2_600x450.jpg.ac5a2aaba028e96bb09068b4eff3598c.jpg00x0x_4C7ydvCj3A5_0t20CI_1200x900.thumb.jpg.bc2582de0294fb6f4f4769db2517c363.jpg

The seller is transparent in what they are. From the ad:

"This is a set of Klipsch Cornwall 1 speakers.

Type: CD-BR (Cornwall Decorator(?)-finished in raw birch)

Built in 1976. Consecutive serial numbers 10P274 & 10P275.

All drivers are working and the speakers sound excellent.

The cabinets show typical signs of 40 plus years of usage. A previous owner used them as a plant stand and thus the tops of both speakers have matching water stains. One speaker is missing a small piece of veneer in that area. I intended to repair the veneer but I never found the time.

Original speaker covers.

Asking price is $950. Open to reasonable offers."

• Like 1

What do you think is a reasonable offer... thats still a good deal for me? I tend to over pay when I find specific things in a direct relation to how long I have been looking for them. The only other 1976 Cornwalls I have see have been for sale for $1,500 (in amazing condition) for over a year. 

1 hour ago, Gypsy said:

What do you think is a reasonable offer...

If it weren't for the damage....
Driving to retrieve something can go many ways. If it's an okay deal, then not driving very far doesn't hurt. If it's a great deal, then a longer drive balances the deal a bit more. Since it's a one time and done, I tend to ignore the drive, that way I can convince myself it was a great deal. 😎 

1 hour ago, Gypsy said:

thats still a good deal for me?

Not sure who can answer that any better than you. Location, condition, time of year will all play a part in the prices, and this virus will cause more bargains as time goes on. 

@wvu80 has gathered the completed sales of several Klipsch speakers and can share that they have been selling for.

1 hour ago, Gypsy said:

I tend to over pay when I find specific things in a direct relation to how long I have been looking for them.

That's called experience and is something you get right after you need it. 

1 hour ago, Gypsy said:

The only other 1976 Cornwalls I have see have been for sale for $1,500 (in amazing condition) for over a year. 

Trying to stay with 1976 is going to limit your deals by a great deal. Not too long ago, that same money would get you Cornwall or Chorus II in excellent condition. $1,500 was for LaScala in great condition and starting into Khorn prices. 

Studying the market is the best thing to do. After getting familiar with what things go for, then you will be able to pounce on a deal with confidence. 

• Like 2

The Heritage Prices spreadsheet shows the Cornwall I in Good condition at $851 average.  If you are a Buyer you want them $100 under the average and if you are a Seller you want $100 over the average.  That range is still fair market value, a fair price for both Buyer and Seller.

Here is the spreadsheet, feel free to download it.  It's a good research tool.  Click on any cell with a red triangle to see my detailed notes.

Klipsch Heritage used prices ver 2020-05.xlsx

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The Heritage Prices spreadsheet shows the Cornwall I in Good condition at $851 average.  If you are a Buyer you want them $100 under the average and if you are a Seller you want $100 over the average.  That range is still fair market value, a fair price for both Buyer and Seller.

Here is the spreadsheet, feel free to download it.  It's a good research tool.  Click on any cell with a red triangle to see my detailed notes.

Klipsch Heritage used prices ver 2020-05.xlsx 346.94 kB · 62 downloads

Well how often does this happen.... K20 are these exact speakers by serial! 

He paid $450 here on the forum in 2018. I dont think he's done anything to improve them since so Im thinking $600 is fair. 

5 hours ago, Gypsy said:

Well how often does this happen.... K20 are these exact speakers by serial! 

He paid $450 here on the forum in 2018. I dont think he's done anything to improve them since so Im thinking $600 is fair. 

Offer $500, see what happens. It's a shame about the tops, but that can be fixed.

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Offer $500, see what happens. It's a shame about the tops, but that can be fixed.

Im headed up to pick them up but it wsnt as inexpensive as I hoped. @Woofers and Tweeters was correct, looking specify for 1976 makes deals harder to find. They are not worth anything more to the general market but I guess they are to me. 

So what the best way to fix the top? I am guessing either replace that piece of plywood or veneer the entire speaker? 

• Like 1

Good luck! hope they live up to your expectations.

Is there a reason for looking for 1976 version? Is it a personal number/year or a particular set of components.

If the glass doesn't work out, but two large (plastic) plants and set them on top strategically.

If something unexpected comes up while in StL, give me a shout out.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gypsy said:
8 hours ago, Skelt said:

Cover with smoked glass and don't worry about it. 

Brilliant! 

Smoked glass, plastic plants... almost anything will cover the spots so that you don't see them. I have cut and dressed out some granite to top dressers, nightstands and such. You might have a granite place make some for them. 

Being the Decorator cabinets, they probably didn't come with the trim and grills, someone else decorated them. Due to the trim, it might be a little more difficult to re veneer them, but not impossible. 

On 11/29/2020 at 8:07 AM, MookieStl said:

Good luck! hope they live up to your expectations.

Is there a reason for looking for 1976 version? Is it a personal number/year or a particular set of components.

If the glass doesn't work out, but two large (plastic) plants and set them on top strategically.

If something unexpected comes up while in StL, give me a shout out.

Mookie. I was born in 1976 and I like to search for specific things. I think its the hunt... I used to chase hot red heads but im too old and I have a HOT woman who is amazing so now I find strange or unique things to chase down. My long term goal will be to have a complete system that was built in 1976 in America.

So if you see any Khorns or a Belle from 76' let me know! 

• Thanks 1

I was able to work out the purchase but I wont call it a deal.... but they are my 76' so I paid $650. 

The seller was a super nice guy who lived in a beautiful area of Stl and it was a treat to meet him and see his 110 year old house. 

Im not sure what the future holds for these guys but for now I think I have an idea how to cover up the ugliest parts. Its likely down the road they will get the Super Cornwall treatment and refinished but for now Ill jsut listen and enjoy. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gypsy said:

I was able to work out the purchase but I wont call it a deal.... but they are my 76' so I paid $650. 

The seller was a super nice guy who lived in a beautiful area of Stl and it was a treat to meet him and see his 110 year old house. 

Im not sure what the future holds for these guys but for now I think I have an idea how to cover up the ugliest parts. Its likely down the road they will get the Super Cornwall treatment and refinished but for now Ill jsut listen and enjoy. 

Yes man, enjoy!

18 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Putty and sand the damage. Then paint both tops with black textured paint.

So its funny that you mentioned this. I had been kicking around an idea to refinish the sides, remove the strange 1/4 rounds, and do the risers, fronts and tops in a matching black. 

Billy Ray Edition Cornwalls

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Gypsy said:

Mookie. I was born in 1976 and I like to search for specific things. I think its the hunt... I used to chase hot red heads but im too old and I have a HOT woman who is amazing so now I find strange or unique things to chase down. My long term goal will be to have a complete system that was built in 1976 in America.

So if you see any Khorns or a Belle from 76' let me know! 

Interesting approach. Sounds like fun.

I was 18 in 1976, so that was a very good year for me too.

I have a pair of Belles from 1988 and  from 1972, so can't help in that regard.

• Like 1