The Klipsch Audio Community
Dave A

Machined Free Standing Baltic Birch Horn for 1.4" Drivers

What is the tool cost? i.e. How much does the cutter cost, divided by how many horns it can cut before it is used up? I've worked on metal projects where the tool cost exceeded the material cost buy a large margin.

5 hours ago, Pondoro said:

What is the tool cost? i.e. How much does the cutter cost, divided by how many horns it can cut before it is used up? I've worked on metal projects where the tool cost exceeded the material cost buy a large margin.

On wood not much. Carbide will last a long time. On metal parts it depends. If you match the right carbide grade and tool for the job + correct coolant + hydraulic tool holders and then run it with a good CAM program you can get a lot of life out of things. One of the biggest improvements in tool life for me was adopting high speed machining tool paths. Tooling can be a significant one time expense still with new tool holders but carbide is no longer as expensive based on parts cut with each carbide tool.

• Like 1

Where do you want to cross these over? The w700 Hz range was what I had in mind. 

With active EQ the K33 can get to that. 

Had some visitors yesterday in the shop. Here to snoop around and hear the S-MWM's and pick up a set of Danley SH-50's. So while I had some Guinea Pigs here to try things on I let them listen to the 14" x 7" wood horn with the Faital 146 drivers. I really value the opinions of Klipsch forum members who know what they are doing and I was happy to play these horns and let the chips fall where they may. Now I really like them but at times it is hard for me to judge things because my daily listener is the S-MWM's and so all else pales in comparison. They met with approval and I will soon be making some for others. Claude has one in hand for testing so results should be here soon. I stuck these on a set of bass bins I have sitting around and I have to admit I was excited to hear them up and running right. Joe and Jay, my Guinea Pigs who also now know about Japanese Fireworks.

visitors.jpg

• Thanks 1