Bipole or Direct (Mono) side surrounds???

Kentucky Gentleman

Hi Everyone, 

I know this is a well trodden question, but it is driving me crazy, please help! 
I am trying to decide on direct (the 600Ms bookshelves) or bipole (502Ss) for my side surrounds.  I’ve just ordered Rf-7 IIIs & the RC-64 III, for an upgrade and don’t want to “blow it” with the less optimal side surrounds. Dedicated HT, zero music (unless it is in a movie):) There are two rows of two, but the back doesn’t get used a lot. Side surrounds are about 4 1/2 to 5 feet from the respective right & left LPs on stands against the wall.  I have read a LOT of opinions on this, and admittedly have waaaaaaaay over analyzed/ researched going so far as to even find a few articles online about movie sound mixing engineers and they seem to all have direct sides in their studio when they record.  I have old Synergy III S-2 surrounds & old Quintet III speakers sets that I have been switching back & forth to try to decide, but I think the speakers are too different to give a fair comparison. So, wise ones... are the direct speakers the original intent of the sound mix to with bipole being a compromise of the best listening experience, or are my LPs too close for directs without having the 600s as a way too significant & distracting hot spot & therefore a bipole redistribution of the sound field for an enveloping experience the way to go?  
Thank you so much!

Kentucky Gentleman: Welcome to the forum!

If to do not plan to add ATMOS to your room, I would suggest you consider Di-Pole side surround speakers. However, if you do plan on incorporating ATMOS speakers into the mix, then I would recommend using direct speakers as you referred to them. This is the same recommendation given by Dolby. Best of luck! - Glenn

2 hours ago, picky said:

Kentucky Gentleman: Welcome to the forum!

If to do not plan to add ATMOS to your room, I would suggest you consider Di-Pole side surround speakers. However, if you do plan on incorporating ATMOS speakers into the mix, then I would recommend using direct speakers as you referred to them. This is the same recommendation given by Dolby. Best of luck! - Glenn

Well said above exactly what I was going to refer to...

• Like 1