Heresy Grills

Pondoro

I bought two Heresy speakers, from 1983. They sound great, they have no grills. Not "damaged" grills. NO grills. I bought replacement grill cloth from Crites. I need to make the "boards" that back the grill cloth. I am a decent wood worker. I have many saws. I can buy: 1/4" plywood, in 3 or 5 layers, 1/8": plywood, 1/4" fiberboard, or 1/8" fiberboard. I have never seen original Heresy grills. 1/8" fiberboard seems to be the closest to what I have seen in other speakers.

Question 1) What do you all recommend?

Question 1a) What is original?

Question 1b) What is considered "best"? I am sure someone will tell me to use wonder material X, to reduce some bad effect...😀

Question 2) Any chance of getting replacement logos?

I bought two Heresy speakers, from 1983. They sound great, they have no grills. Not "damaged" grills. NO grills. I bought replacement grill cloth from Crites. I need to make the "boards" that back the grill cloth. I am a decent wood worker. I have many saws. I can buy: 1/4" plywood, in 3 or 5 layers, 1/8": plywood, 1/4" fiberboard, or 1/8" fiberboard. I have never seen original Heresy grills. 1/8" fiberboard seems to be the closest to what I have seen in other speakers.

Question 1b) What is considered "best"? I am sure someone will tell me to use wonder material X, to reduce some bad effect...[emoji3]

The grills are made of Masonite. Don’t know the thickness but appropriately 1/8”. You cold make a tracing out of paper of the driver openings. They are held in place with Velcro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grills are made of Masonite. Don’t know the thickness but appropriately 1/8”. You cold make a tracing out of paper of the driver openings. They are held in place with Velcro.

Contact KLIPSCH and give them your serial numbers. If they can’t help there are guys in this forum that make them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tony Whitlow said:

I can get 1/8" hardboard (Generic Masonite) nearly free ($7.98 per 4x8 sheet) at Lowes. So if I mess one or two up learning how to cut it right I'll have plenbty of backup.

Edited by Pondoro

56 minutes ago, Pondoro said:

Question 1b) What is considered "best"? I am sure someone will tell me to use wonder material X, to reduce some bad effect...😀

1) you can make a grille template easy  either 1 of 2 ways ----start by removing all the internals  -----first from the outside you can use a router bit and trace around the  motorboard ---------or 2nd - place a thin cardboard from the  inside - then trace with a pencil  from the outside - cut a piece of maconite to fit , then line up your template over and cut with a router -

2) paint the maconite grille with black paint on both sides -

3)- stretch the fabric -  using 2 wood blocks --hot glue and staples -   glue/ staple the top part - the bottom -and sides -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pondoro said:

klipsch sold the Pie Badges , they were made of plastic ----------however on Ebay , this Pie badge is solid  copper and it is larger than the klipsch badge -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engraved-Solid-COPPER-Klipsch-Speaker-Badge-logo-PWK-Heresy-Cornwall-Chorus/173886280581?hash=item287c6e1385:g:SasAAOSw6l1c5Xkr

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

which ones ?

The Rectangular "Heresy". I am not sure what is "time period correct", but the grill cloth is probably not exactly right. The tops of these speakers are beat up (sides are good, the tops look like they had a lot of stuff piled on them. I am not going for "restore to original." I liked the rectangles. $15 for two.

Heresy badges.jpg

Edited by Pondoro

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

klipsch sold the Pie Badges , they were made of plastic ----------however on Ebay , this Pie badge is solid  copper and it is larger than the klipsch badge -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engraved-Solid-COPPER-Klipsch-Speaker-Badge-logo-PWK-Heresy-Cornwall-Chorus/173886280581?hash=item287c6e1385:g:SasAAOSw6l1c5Xkr

These are really nice Randy ,gonna order some for my RF7 MK II SE ...Thanx for this link

• Like 1

I measured the thickness of my Heresy grills at 1/8" or just barely over. Interesting to note; the grill fabric is not just spot-glued to the frame but the entire contact surface of the cloth to the frame is glued, yet there's no visible glue. How do they do that?!

6 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

I measured the thickness of my Heresy grills at 1/8" or just barely over. Interesting to note; the grill fabric is not just spot-glued to the frame but the entire contact surface of the cloth to the frame is glued, yet there's no visible glue. How do they do that?!

it is glued on a JIG

29 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

it is glued on a JIG

So what if I laid the board down on a piece of sacrificial plywood, outside up. Speaker holes already cut out. Paint the board with glue that will dry clear, a very thin coat. Carefully lay the cloth on the board and pin it down around the perimeter (pins go into the plywood, not the speaker board.) Let it dry. Pull the pins. Turn it over so now the outside is down. The cloth is larger than the speaker board. Fold the cloth over and staple on the back.

I am leaning towards just stapling the cloth to the back, no glue. That is the conventional way shown by the YouTube gurus, and would be fairly easy to correct if you got a wrinkle or a sag.

Looking for input from someone who has been there and done it.

15 hours ago, Pondoro said:

So what if I laid the board down on a piece of sacrificial plywood, outside up. Speaker holes already cut out. Paint the board with glue that will dry clear, a very thin coat. Carefully lay the cloth on the board and pin it down around the perimeter (pins go into the plywood, not the speaker board.) Let it dry. Pull the pins. Turn it over so now the outside is down. The cloth is larger than the speaker board. Fold the cloth over and staple on the back.

I am leaning towards just stapling the cloth to the back, no glue. That is the conventional way shown by the YouTube gurus, and would be fairly easy to correct if you got a wrinkle or a sag.

Looking for input from someone who has been there and done it.

I looked at my grills again. Stapling is not how the factory does it. Factory back edges are glued as well, with no visible glue. Damn, them factory people are talented!

I would pin the fabric down to a surface nice and flat but don't stretch it, spray the glue on your grill board, masking off surfaces you don't want the glue to stick to. Lay the grill board on the fabric and go over it with a rolling pin Remove the masking tape while the glue is still wet.

After the front has dried, glue the back side material.

You definitely need to stretch the material. The trick is to do it evenly so the grain of the fabric is consistent.

I usually tack the four corners first then work my way around.

That's why I suggested a trial piece on scrap. It is not difficult, just need a little practice.