Need advice on receiver power for Tangent 400s

kjf

Hello Forum. I'm old but I'm new here. In the 1970s I remember going into the local audio store "Lafayette Sound", later "Leiser Sound" and hearing awesome stereos with a sound I loved but I don't know the nomenclature of the experts here to describe what I like.  I only know that you could hear the pick strumming every string, the tight snip of the high hat, the deep-but-quick thud of the bass drum. I guess crisp would fit. I don't like long lazy bass that rattles the dishes. The speakers I bought back in 1974 were store brand "HLX 10" speakers guaranteed for life and they really have lasted my whole life! I have driven them with everything to a Realistic STA 82 pushing what? 30 watts RMS? to the current Onkyo that is about 50 WPC. THe point is I never was able to reproduce what I heard in the 70s. They were probably using JBLs pushed by 100 WPC or more.  Sooooo..... Recently I wanted to upgrade without spending a lot. I bought a used Technics SL-Q350 turntable, and some Klipsch Tangent 400s. I havent decided on a receiver. I have a few to choose from I bought used ad I see many cheap on a popular social media site.

My question (at last) is: How many watts per channel RMS should I be pushing these Tangents with to make them sound their best? I Have several receivers of different powers. An Onkyo TX 900 (40WPC @8ohm), a TX-903 which is 60 watts per channel, a Technics SA-AX530 which is a 5.1 AV receiver putting out 80 watts per channel. I just saw a Teac AG-790 putting out 90 WPC I can buy for 35 bucks. I've been thinking I need 100 watts per channel to get the most out of these speakers. Or do I? The previous owner was using a Denon with only 60 WPC and the speakers sounded good when he demo'ed them. He threw in two Mg 1220 PP twelve - inch poly woofers because he said the paper woofers in the Tangents distorted at lower volume. Seems dumb for me to buy Quality Klipsch speakers then install other woofers. Then I've read going too low watts can harm the speakers / tweeters?

I want great sound at moderate volume. I will either use one of the receivers listed above or pick up an inexpensive ($100 or less) receiver of higher wattage if that's what I need. Some of you may be rolling on the floor laughing, but I intend to stay cheap on a retired guy's budget. What do you recommend to power these Tangent 400s? How many Watts PC RMS and any years or brands preferred? for awesome sound at moderate volume?

So that's my epic saga. Please advise.

• Like 4

Here are some of my meandering thoughts...

Those Klipsch Tangent 400s are mighty speakers. They are sensitive too, so they will play very loud, even with low watt amps. I've never heard them myself, but I think they'll go really low too!

https://f072605def1c9a5ef179-a0bc3fbf1884fc0965506ae2b946e1cd.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product-specsheets/Tangent-100-series.pdf

Here is the thing: you fail to hear the crispness and clarity you heard in that music shop back in the 1970s. Now, imho there are many possible explanations, and I'm writing this with the greatest possible respect:

1. Your ears are not what they were back in the 1970s: your hearing now picks up less of those high frequencies you like so much. Depending on your genes, your job and the number of inner ear infections you suffered along the years, your hearing will be more, or less, negatively affected.
  2. Back in the 1970s, those amps in the the music shop were actually brand new, and the capacitors inside them too.
  3. Most likely, in that shop, hidden under or behind the counter, they will have added some 'secret sauce' to their system, like some high-end (pre)amp, or some super modified crossovers, making the sound stand out. 

I'm afraid there is little to be done about your hearing, but if you use vintage amps going back to the 70s or even older, you could invest in recapping them, or start by spraying the connections, volume pots and soldering with deoxit.

On the other hand, Klipsch's general advice is to use an amp that matches the power needs of the speakers. In the case of the Tangent 400s, it means you'd need a powerhouse amp of 125 Watt continuous. Many users here are 'underpowering' their speakers, though, without issues.

There are few 'integrated amps' of the 1970s that have that kind of advised power. I own a 1976 Harman Kardon 430 twin powered, which is 25 Watt per channel, with my 1972 Heresy speakers, which are 100 Watt continuous. I can't turn this amp's volume beyond 9 o'clock because then they are way too loud for my writer's den. They have great bass, too, no subwoofer required.

Most of us here have experienced that the advertised watts of modern amps cannot be compared with the power of vintage amps. In fact, the wattages don't say much about the sound quality at all... Some of the best (tube) amps put out a meager 8 or 15 watts...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kjf said:

I intend to stay cheap on a retired guy's budget.

don't know what your budget is....

I set $2000 limit on my system

Ended up with a pair of vintage ['76] LaScalas and an H/K 630

... and came in well under my allowance...... including a cross country trip to pick them up

by the by... the H/K 630 is 30wpc   Plenty of power... and very pleasing sound and has a good tt pre-amp

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Late to the party, but the Tangent 400 has the same internal compnent as the Heresy II. The difference is the T400 has a larger, ported cabinet, givingmorebass than the HII. Great speakers... a close friend has a pair, and they are as enjoyable to listen to as my own HIIs. I also power mine with an HK430. Plenty of power...

On 11/29/2020 at 1:51 AM, kjf said:

I just saw a Teac AG-790 putting out 90 WPC I can buy for 35 bucks. I've been thinking I need 100 watts per channel to get the most out of these speakers. Or do I?

100 watts would be great but anything 50 watts and up won't be a slush