Advice on buying Klipsch speakers

Vankyra

13 hours ago, MicroMara said:

bookshelf can´t deliver the same bass power like floorstand speaker. The  R 820 F had great test reviews in the german hifi magazines an a best buy for the money ..sounds dynamic and balanced; good resolution, controlled basses; high level stability; clean and robust finish.....

You're definitely right! And bass power is of paramount importance for both music and movies! I'm so glad I ordered a good pair of speakers. For 355days the R820F's cost 950euros and only for ~10days during Black Friday season they drop down to 650euros. It's a steal! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MicroMara said:

bookshelf can´t deliver the same bass power like floorstand speaker. The  R 820 F had great test reviews in the german hifi magazines an a best buy for the money ..sounds dynamic and balanced; good resolution, controlled basses; high level stability; clean and robust finish.....

You're definitely right! And bass power is of paramount importance for both music and movies! I'm so glad I ordered a good pair of speakers. For 355days the R820F's cost 950euros and only for ~10days during Black Friday season they drop down to 650euros. It's a steal! 

13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The .1 or .2 is confusing and the manufacturers use of those designations don't help.

Technically .1 is the LFE or Low Frequency Effects channel.  It is separate from the subwoofer bass. 

In more common use the .1 and .2 means the AVR has a low level (common, using an RCA plug) output for the sub signal.  This means without having to buy anything else you can plug in two subwoofers directly from the AVR.  These are IDENTICAL signals.

If your AVR has only a .1 meaning one sub signal then to add a second sub all one needs to do is buy a 1-into-2 RCA splitter.  This has the exact same signal as the .2.  This .1 channel only provides signal and not power to the sub so there is no penalty such as less power for doing this.

Thanks for explaining the .1 / .2. The manufacturers confuse us that's for sure! 

12 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I would suggest going with 5.1 to start.  Left/Center/Right (L/C/R) and two side surround speakers.

Most TV and movies are made in 5.1.  To get 7.1 the AVR will take the side surround signal and copy it, sending the same signal to the surround rear speakers.  Not much discrete (separate) content is sent to the Rear Surrounds.

I think you are better off saving money on the Surround Rear and put that money to a better center speaker.  I highly recommend the RP-504C.  It is the second best Klipsch center speaker you can buy and is second only to the RC-64 III.  The center speaker is the most important one in your system.

The reason is ninety percent of Movies/TV is dialog and 90% of the dialog comes out of the center.  The secret to a great system is to get a HIGH QUALITY center speaker.  Get the best one you can afford.

I would rather have a GREAT 3.1 instead of a mediocre 5.1 or 7.1.  The quality is what you are after and not simply numerous speakers that don't sound all that great.  The RP-504C would be an upgrade over any R series.

R = Entry level

RP = Mid level

RF  = (RC for the center) is top tier

I own the RC-64 III.  Shown here with the RF-83 and RP-600M sitting upside down on top.

RP-600M bi-amp right side view.JPG

Amazing setup by the way, really love it and imagine that I aint able to hear it! Your Center looks absolutely huge, what a beast!!

I think that's the reason everyone starts with a 2.1, then go 3.1. They are the main speakers of a Home Theater setup. As for the Rp-504C, it stands at 700euros in my country, which is kinda expensive for my wallet. Even if I got that though, wouldn't it be unfair for my R-820F's? I'm asking this because I've heard that the 3 front speakers must be the same "to match" for more balance. Correct me if I'm wrong. For the surrounds, I'll use my Kenwood's ones, extremely old, I know, but I guess the surrounds don't need to be high-end at least from the start of the setup. 

10 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

And Klipsch has them 50% off for the rest of today!

Such a steal! Why does Klipsch only offering this 50% only for the 820's? 

10 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Dave's right, get the best center you can, and a sub. The front 3.1 is pretty important.

So true, plus my honest opinion, they can go for a lifetime, or at least until you move into a huge house, with a massive living room and you want something more powerful

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billybob said:

Maybe the OP will take some advice.

Main thing is going to go with what he can have available in Greece.

Thinking he is asleep now...💤

I was indeed asleep. Different time zones thing is a pain! 
I couldn't sleep even before I ordered those 820's haha

8 hours ago, MicroMara said:

he certainly can´t sleep so well in anticipation of his new AVR and the R 820 F

You guys are so right haha! Can't wait to unbox them, can't wait to hear them, with music and movies! My neighbors are going to love these..... 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Vankyra said:

Even if I got that (RP-504C) though, wouldn't it be unfair for my R-820F's? I'm asking this because

I've heard that the 3 front speakers must be the same "to match" for more balance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are not wrong about what you heard concerning timbre matching the L/C/R.  (FYI "Timbre" is pronounced tamber, like tambourine.)  The majority opinion is in this camp.  For instance if you have the RP series L/R the then matching center is also in the RP family according to most people.

Mine is the minority opinion although I think more people are starting to challenge that old assumption of timbre matching.  I came to my conclusions through experience.  I have a top quality center RC-64 III which you are right, is a beast!  It reproduces male and female dialog faithfully and is crystal clear whether played whisper quiet or crazy loud.  My wife finds the RC-64 enjoyable because she can play it softly (too softly IMO) and she can hear the dialog without having to turn the volume up.

I have paired that center with Klipschorns, La Scala's, the RF series and the RP series.  Right now I have the RC-64 paired in my home theater setup with some good DIY speakers.  Do you know what I discovered?  It sounds great no matter what speakers with which it's paired and the other speakers still sound good.

More, I found it the RC-64 makes all the entire setup as a system sound better than the speakers did by themselves, with the exception of the Khorns.  Khorns sound exceptional as they are.  A high quality center does not make the mains sound bad.

Quality is the key.  In my opinion one should get the best center speaker he can afford and don't worry about "timbre matching."

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, wvu80 said:

You are not wrong about what you heard concerning timbre matching the L/C/R.  (FYI "Timbre" is pronounced tamber, like tambourine.)  The majority opinion is in this camp.  For instance if you have the RP series L/R the then matching center is also in the RP family according to most people.

Mine is the minority opinion although I think more people are starting to challenge that old assumption of timbre matching.  I came to my conclusions through experience.  I have a top quality center RC-64 III which you are right, is a beast!  It reproduces male and female dialog faithfully and is crystal clear whether played whisper quiet or crazy loud.  My wife finds the RC-64 enjoyable because she can play it softly (too softly IMO) and she can hear the dialog without having to turn the volume up.

I have paired that center with Klipschorns, La Scala's, the RF series and the RP series.  Right now I have the RC-64 paired in my home theater setup with some good DIY speakers.  Do you know what I discovered?  It sounds great no matter what speakers with which it's paired and the other speakers still sound good.

More, I found it the RC-64 makes all the entire setup as a system sound better than the speakers did by themselves, with the exception of the Khorns.  Khorns sound exceptional as they are.  A high quality center does not make the mains sound bad.

Quality is the key.  In my opinion one should get the best center speaker he can afford and don't worry about "timbre matching."

The RC-64 must be magical, it's really important for a speaker to be able to produce whisper quiet aaand when you need it to go crazy loud. And I guess this is even more important when it comes to movies (dialogues). Besides quality, you paid all this money for more headroom vs let's say a simple R-52C. Wouldn't that RC-64 be an overkill in a smaller room? 

When I visited a shop with dedicated HT speakers, the guy there told me that when it comes to movies, the Center speaker is like 80%!!! Imagine that, we're paying a ton of money for towers and the center channel does almost everything! But I guess no one would want to listen to music through a center speaker, or...

Thanks for the replies, you're helping me understand this complicated world of HT's! 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Vankyra said:

The RC-64 must be magical, it's really important for a speaker to be able to produce whisper quiet aaand when you need it to go crazy loud. And I guess this is even more important when it comes to movies (dialogues). Besides quality, you paid all this money for more headroom vs let's say a simple R-52C. Wouldn't that RC-64 be an overkill in a smaller room? 

When I visited a shop with dedicated HT speakers, the guy there told me that when it comes to movies, the Center speaker is like 80%!!! Imagine that, we're paying a ton of money for towers and the center channel does almost everything! But I guess no one would want to listen to music through a center speaker, or...

Thanks for the replies, you're helping me understand this complicated world of HT's! 

As good as the RC64 sounds, it also looks impressive. Is the whole Klipsch catalog available to you? Your budget will probably dictate which center to get, and the top tier matching center in the Reference line is an R34c, it's about half the price of a RP504c. Is there a used market where you're at? 

13 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

As good as the RC64 sounds, it also looks impressive. Is the whole Klipsch catalog available to you? Your budget will probably dictate which center to get, and the top tier matching center in the Reference line is an R34c, it's about half the price of a RP504c. Is there a used market where you're at? 

The RC64 is almost as big as your TV! It's impressive indeed. 

Unfortunately there isnt a descent used market here, only a few people selling things, but definitely not Klipsch's level. 

As for the Center Speakers, I have 11 of them available (list going from the least expensive one to the actual beast) :

- R-52C

- R-34C

- RP-400C

- RP-250C

- RP-500C

- RP-600C

- RP-440C

- RP-404C

- RP-450C

- RP-504C

- RC-64III

But before I go for a center speaker, I need to upgrade my AVR, since I'm using a really old one, with no HDMI's.. 

Edited by Vankyra
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Vankyra said:

The RC64 is almost as big as your TV! It's impressive indeed. 

Unfortunately there isnt a descent used market here, only a few people selling things, but definitely not Klipsch's level. 

As for the Center Speakers, I have 11 of them available (list going from the least expensive one to the actual beast) :

- R-52C

- R-34C

- RP-400C

- RP-250C

- RP-500C

- RP-600C

- RP-440C

- RP-404C

- RP-450C

- RP-504C

- RC-64III

But before I go for a center speaker, I need to upgrade my AVR, since I'm using a really old one, with no HDMI's.. 

That's the whole catalog. When do you get the towers? Your old AVR would power them if you have the speakers but not the new AVR. Exciting times huh?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

That's the whole catalog. When do you get the towers? Your old AVR would power them if you have the speakers but not the new AVR. Exciting times huh?

Glad to hear I have the whole catalog available. I ordered the tower a few days ago, still didnt ship them to me. My old AVR is a Kenwood M-A300, it's a 6 channel power receiver (the 6th is for passive subwoofers...) 

Why do you think that a new AVR wouldn't power them? 

15 minutes ago, Vankyra said:

Glad to hear I have the whole catalog available. I ordered the tower a few days ago, still didnt ship them to me. My old AVR is a Kenwood M-A300, it's a 6 channel power receiver (the 6th is for passive subwoofers...) 

Why do you think that a new AVR wouldn't power them? 

I meant that your old AVR would work for now until you update to the new AVR.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I meant that your old AVR would work for now until you update to the new AVR.

Ohh sorry for the misunderstanding (See English isn't my native language).

The shop that I ordered the 820F's said it might take a few days to get to me and in fact he tried selling me some Elac speakers instead of the Klipsch ones.... 

• Like 1