D I Y Audio Cables

MicroMara

13 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

Global player  ?   -then what's stopping you  -

Okay Randy , maybe globetrotter is the better word for what I did in the past. From 1987 to 2010 I worked for an international company in the sound light laser technology as sales director. For 23 years I have travelled the world professionally and built up the worldwide distribution network in europe, south-east asia, the far east and north-south america, especially for the laser technology systems, as well as taking care of key account customer projects. In the end, I quit my job because I could not stand hotels, airports or airplanes anymore. For 23 years I lived only from "the suitcase", which made me sick in the end. Of course it was a fantastic time and I remember it with great pleasure. I will take this lifetime and memories with me to my grave.

• Like 5

Those look very nice. What type of material do you shield with? Solid copper or stranded? Geometry of the system of cables inside those sleeves? Tinned, ya or naa?

And after reading the Long Live the Queen thread last year I know you employ an ohmmeter to check for leakage of any sort.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Those look very nice. What type of material do you shield with? Solid copper or stranded? Geometry of the system of cables inside those sleeves? Tinned, ya or naa?

And after reading the Long Live the Queen thread last year I know you employ an ohmmeter to check for leakage of any sort.

Had to translate from the german product pdf´s

Raw Loudspeaker Cables

Structure
4 G 6 mm2
Fine stranded wire made of bare copper wires
PVC core insulation
cores stranded in layers

Shielding Braided tinned copper wires,
PVC- inner jacket, grey
copper braiding, tinned
Coat made of PVC, transparent

low coupling resistance (max. 250 Ω/km at 30 MHz)

Raw Power Cables

Structure

3 G 4 mm2

Fine strands of bare copper wires

Core insulation PVC compound (UL/CSA 90°C rating)
VDE 0293-334 Inner sheath
PVC compound (UL/CSA 90°C rating)
Shielding Braided tinned copper wires,
Coverage = 85% (nominal value)
Outer sheath PVC compound (UL/CSA 90°C rating)

Raw RCA Cables ( It isn´t a german product )

954393074_Screenshot_2020-11-30190423TPRleafletindd-Grimm-Audio-TPR-leafletpdf.png.0f6a14a8557f78b53357148cf77881c2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RandyH000 said:

George -did you have a chance to visit  the area closer to Trieste   , I would really want  to visit  that  zone one day -

At the moment it is still very dangerous to go to Italy. There are also severe travel restrictions within Europe. Trieste is about 1.100 km away from me, by car it would be a 12 hour drive, by plane also more than 8 hours because 2 stops are necessary. So it is better for me to come by car and yes let's meet there when you are in Italy. That would be super cool .

• Like 2

On 11/29/2020 at 10:48 AM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I went much more simpler.  Mogami microphone cable for RCA and XLR and Mogami 11 Ga speaker wire for speakers.  GLS ends (or GSL I don't remember). 

Really high quality pro wire and reasonable. 

http://www.mogamicable.com/

When I bought my Dx38, I ordered Mogami cables to go with it (it’s XLR only), and I was surprised how inexpensive they were.  They seem to be top quality.

• Like 1

Friendly speaking ..Dear Gentlemen .... What´s the topic subject ?  DIY Audio Cables

Should now all worldwide leading cable suppliers like Mogami, Sommer Cable, Funk Cabel, Cordial Cabel, Wireworld Cabel, Straight Wire Cabel, Supra Cable, Ohelbach Cable, Gold Cabel Germany, Silent Wire Cabel, Furutech Cables, Oyade Cable etc.etc be listed now or does anyone of you is goinig to present a  self assembled loudspeaker-power or RCA cable.

Would be nice to see how others doing it . 

• Like 1

You’re right, MicroMara, we got sidetracked there.  There was a member who was making his own cables about a year or two ago, but I haven’t seen him on the Forum lately.  I think he offered to make up cables on request.

BTW, I was highly impressed with the cables you showed.  They look to be premium quality, and they’re certainly of every type imaginable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2020 at 4:10 PM, MicroMara said:

954393074_Screenshot_2020-11-30190423TPRleafletindd-Grimm-Audio-TPR-leafletpdf.png.0f6a14a8557f78b53357148cf77881c2.png

Whew!.... I hate it when I loose more than .25dB/m @ 100Mhz, really destroys the imaging:)

Your cables are beautiful. I've made my own cables through the years, no where near the pizzazz as yours. Mainly made proper cables to interface balanced and un balanced equipment as it is hard to get properly made cables of this type.

• Like 1

@babadono  .... the above shown tec specs from my RCA Cables are used in the best music production studios. Sometimes up to 50 km of cable are used for one studio which adds up to the total. Of course, these losses are practically non-existent with 1m ( 3 foot ) long cables for our home applications. But that's exactly what all these cable layers are about. Cables, whether power- rca- speakercables have no component status. Cables can´t sound as always claimed among audiophile ears. Cables have physical properties that vary depending on the material used and the cable geometry. The task of a cable is the loss-free and unaltered transmission of musical information. Nothing else .

And here we are at the point where it becomes important to create these conditions. Means Connectors with absolutely low contact resistance, the cable geometry and material mix of the cable itselfe as well as the shielding are the decisive factors.

Example Cabel Geometry ( Star Quad Design )

1061924090_BildQuadrax.jpg.c0b63d8b43574972df41ce3df4b2b68d.jpg

brt01.png.06a89fceb627916021747cd87a02a910.png

Here I show you the effort I make to assamble a power cable...

lapp144k0m.jpg.f12ef9861d38cb0fdd45c3d9d666b751.jpg

lapp25kj9x.jpg.3c48d1281e21c71f153a6ef313732dde.jpg

lapp3v7kku.jpg.daa9db1ea80ea41e946ae7438c9bb89f.jpg

lapp4puk55.jpg.113fdd0ad93062930475a1aab4ce7123.jpg

lapp5gnk4o.thumb.jpg.17ed2c4b0e02926c0d6ede05183c0ba3.jpg

LappKC36.thumb.jpg.03d10c9b5ebc1d2b2253219bb4a0c943.jpg

LappKC37.thumb.jpg.81fe5551ca59f53ea07d89ec93a853c2.jpg

LappKC38.thumb.jpg.22d22ce575364646c0c4ef98d2db407d.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 1:38 PM, MicroMara said:

Friendly speaking ..Dear Gentlemen .... What´s the topic subject ?  DIY Audio Cables

Should now all worldwide leading cable suppliers like Mogami, Sommer Cable, Funk Cabel, Cordial Cabel, Wireworld Cabel, Straight Wire Cabel, Supra Cable, Ohelbach Cable, Gold Cabel Germany, Silent Wire Cabel, Furutech Cables, Oyade Cable etc.etc be listed now or does anyone of you is goinig to present a  self assembled loudspeaker-power or RCA cable.

Would be nice to see how others doing it . 

Let me clarify, Mogani sells mic cable and speaker cable by the foot that can be used to make cables.  I made all of my own using Mogami bulk cable.

• Thanks 1

Using this guide, I made some diy speaker cable.

https://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/Low-Inductance-DIY-Speaker-Cables/

I just need to learn to put pants on.

I have attempted to find quality cable and put my own ends on. I'm not sold on sound quality, but its fun and they sure look purty.

Has anyone used the microphone cable from Monoprice? If I go the route with plate amps, I may need the longer runs and considered microphone cable for balanced connection. be63f13b5202b0ae8c7bd1231fc0e6b3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have photographed here the necessary tools you need to make cables: Soldering station, hot air blower, stripping wrench, crimping wrench, precision mechanics tools, insulating tape, wire end ferrules, mini fork shoes, cutter knives and precision mechanics wrench.

1620202752_toolscables.thumb.jpg.5a96d04744a2ed05075c3e64fc7b075d.jpg

• Like 1