Transaction concluded

DTO

1 hour ago, Max2 said:

I have a pair of factory black 30's and the grain pattern which is pretty deep does look a lot like Oak.

They definitely look like oak but even with the sequential serial numbers the veneer patterns do not match each other.

1 hour ago, RandyH000 said:

try to shoot us more pictures ,  can't see much with that is posted ------------where are you located -

They are on the nw side of Chicago. PM me if you want more pictures and what you have. Thanks

as a three way your KLF30 have a more modern designed mid horn (which is also a wide band horn which is used as a tweeter in some pro Klipsch. This wider bandwidth proves this is a superior horn design which could be used in a two way design. This additional bandwidth has no impact when used as a mid horn in a three way design but the horn depth of the KLF20&30 mid horn has a distinct advantage over the mid horn used in a Quartet Forte 2 and Chorus 2 in that it is much shorter and so aligns better with the woofers which by the way will push much more air than a single fifteen inch woofer can. In my opinion it all boils down to whether you like the sound of a fifteen inch woofer or a twelve inch woofer best. The KLf dual woofers can benefit from an acoustic filter used on the bottom woofer an 1/8" layer of F11 acoustical felt works very well If you want to build a new front baffle you can place the mid horn at the top of the cabinet with the tweeter horn between the top woofer and the mid horn as this will buy you some free time alignment between the tweeter and the mid horns as well as placing the mid horn closer to your seated ear level for improved stage and image.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, moray james said:

as a three way your KLF30 have a more modern designed mid horn (which is also a wide band horn which is used as a tweeter in some pro Klipsch. This wider bandwidth proves this is a superior horn design which could be used in a two way design. This additional bandwidth has no impact when used as a mid horn in a three way design but the horn depth of the KLF20&30 mid horn has a distinct advantage over the mid horn used in a Quartet Forte 2 and Chorus 2 in that it is much shorter and so aligns better with the woofers which by the way will push much more air than a single fifteen inch woofer can. In my opinion it all boils down to whether you like the sound of a fifteen inch woofer or a twelve inch woofer best. The KLf dual woofers can benefit from an acoustic filter used on the bottom woofer an 1/8" layer of F11 acoustical felt works very well If you want to build a new front baffle you can place the mid horn at the top of the cabinet with the tweeter horn between the top woofer and the mid horn as this will buy you some free time alignment between the tweeter and the mid horns as well as placing the mid horn closer to your seated ear level for improved stage and image.

Wow! Thanks for the info. I’m not as golden eared as others on this forum. I’m looking to make a trade for more esthetic reasons. 

Hey DTO, are you interested in Heresys at all? If that interests you at all for trade. I am in Michigan but maybe we could meet up. I have five pair of KLF already and seven Heresys, and the KLF are better suited to my needs.

Tim

3 hours ago, DTO said:

They definitely look like oak but even with the sequential serial numbers the veneer patterns do not match each other.

There is no matching going on with the painted speakers that Im aware of.  I have a set of seq. numbered K-horns in Oak and they're close, but not "book page" matched. However, I have seen worse "matching pairs" out there.   Those KLF's have the old Red Devil industrial black satin enamel on them. I would be wary of trying to get the black completely off as the veneer is not that thick and that grain runs deep.  Best swap with someone if the color is a deal killer for you.  You dont find a set of KLF 30's out there in great condition often, someone will have to have them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teaman said:

Hey DTO, are you interested in Heresys at all? If that interests you at all for trade. I am in Michigan but maybe we could meet up. I have five pair of KLF already and seven Heresys, and the KLF are better suited to my needs.

Tim

7 heresy! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am the unfortunate one who traded for these.  In retrospect, I would have avoided at all costs.  DTO said these were in excellent condition when we talked.  Look at the pictures and make your own conclusions.  When asked he did say they have a little water marks at the bottom, possible do from mopping over time.  Hmm... I don't think so.  This wasn't going to be a huge issue for me because I knew they were black and I planned on refinishing them anyway.  So, we traded, my beautiful pair of Forte II's in 9/10 condition for his rough KLF 30's (See pics)

When we did the trade he did give me an out because the water damage was obviously more than he described.  I felt bad that he drove the 2 hour round trip, so I agreed to the trade knowing that I will be in for a little more of a project to fix the damage. 

So, I listened to them at soft listening volumes in my garage to verify all of the drivers worked, which they did and we concluded our deal.  Then, over the next week er so I removed all of the drivers, refinished and braced the cabinets and then put everything back together like I have done many times with other refinishing projects.  This is when I found the issue.  I connected them to my equipment for a final demo at reference levels before I put them up for sale...and noticed a crackling noise coming from one side.  I did all of the usual checks and determined it wasn't my equipment and the noise actually followed the speaker when I switched sources, etc.  I further determined it was the crossover... perhaps an issue arising from the moisture damage over time.

So, I contacted DTO and said:

“So, I just finished refinishing the KLF 30's and finally had a chance to connect them up to my good system.  There is audible crackling going on in one of the speakers at reference levels, either a crossover or mid issue.  This is totally uncool.  You already know that you got the much better end of the trade.  How are you going to make this right?”

His response:

“Hello

im sorry to hear that. They worked perfectly here. Honestly you demoed these on your own equipment, in your own garage. When you had any appearance issues I offered to stop the trade right there and then. You’ve had the woofers for sale on Craigslist for the last eight days and you just reposted them. You have taken these a  part and removed the wiring. I do not know what kind of damage may  of happened there. I do not know what you want me to do ten days later with all these factors”

My thoughts: It is true, I have the woofers for sale as I was going to buy 4 of the Ciare 12” drivers, so I listed the k-31-k’s for sale.  However, the Ciare’s are on backorder, so I ended up putting the stock drivers back in.  Also, I have done many refurbish/refinish projects, including the one he was trading for, and you can see by my work that I am not a hack!  Look at my past posts…people leave positive comments on my work.  So….I responded:

“I am very careful, as you can see by the work I have done on the speakers I traded you.  I pulled the speakers to refinish, and I was thinking of getting the ciare ones, so I listed them.  However, the ciare speakers are on backorder, so when I finished the cabinets I replaced them today and then I tested everything.  I am not a hack and I am honest.... unlike the whole water incident.  You knew they didn't get wet from just mopping.  When I pulled the feet they were very rusted, a sign that they have  been wet a long time.  I'm giving you a chance to make it right before I post a warning on the forum about the transaction. Also, yes, I got over the appearance because I knew I was going to refinish them.  However, when I listened to them in the garage it was at a low volume.  The crackling doesn't start until you turn up the volume.”

His response:

You demoed them in your own garage with your own equipment. you’ve already said you tried parting them out. I pointed out the bottoms to you and offered to cancel, you could of just said yes. The woofers alone you are trying to sell is worth the value of the trade let alone the other components. You can slander me on the forum but it will probably just be removed. 

Then he went on to call me a nut job and that I was slandering and extorting.

My retort:

Clearly I'm the nut job... because I'm the one that came to you to see if you wanted to make it right.  I didn't just post a warning without giving you the chance to fix things.

So, I know I won’t have any further dealings with DTO.  I hope this helps out members of this forum.

image9.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image12.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Wow!

this nut job!

he’s a Craigslist flipper who had already gutted and posted the drivers for sale eight days ago! 
he demoed these on his equipment, in his garage! 
I offered to not make the deal but he insisted.

moderator please delete this thread.

DTO why the name calling? 

Yes, I buy Klipsch speakers.  Yes, I restore them.  Then, I audition them  against my current line up of speakers and if I like them I keep them.  If they are no better than what I have, I list them for sale so other people may enjoy a nice set of Klipsch speakers that will meet their needs.  I am honest about what I sell and I am confident that every pair of speakers that leaves my house will perform as described.  So if this makes me a nut job, then so be it.

2 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The name calling, for both sides, is unnecessary, but, unfortunately, IMO, you @Iteachstem waived any opportunity to complain about the crossovers when you auditioned them before agreeing to the trade.  Dismantling them further lost you the moral high ground.

Sorry for name calling! After 10- messages from him yesterday, ten days after the transaction, it was all my limited vocabulary could come up with.  This matter is over and done on my end.

1 minute ago, DizRotus said:

If you expect sympathy, you’re going to be disappointed by me.

I don't expect sympathy, nor did I ask for it.  I posted this simply for the benefit of other forum members so they may avoid any possible frustrations like I have experienced.