Later model Klipschorn Setup for Newbies

Mallette

Every so often a new member asks about Klipschorn speaker to amp connections. At one time, it was simple. Speakers were summed at the crossover board. Now, AK5's and later have the crossover inside and the setup for a newbie is anything but simple in the Klipsch supplied literature for later model K'horns and La Scala. All have multiple outs for HF, Mid, and LF.  Any chance someone might translate the tech manual to English for newbies? Bear in mind the normal response of "you need larger gauge cable" and such is not going to impact a Klipsch convert. Any chance someone might translate the tech manual to English for newbies? Bear in mind the normal response of "you need larger gauge cable" and such is not going to impact a Klipsch convert. 

Dave

For real?  There are many people who can answer.  Dave, it's still simple.  In referencing the Khorn AK6 manual, there is only one connection on each speaker from the amplifier, and one connection between the HF and LF section.  What could possibly be so difficult, that only the two persons named above could answer the question and solve this great mystery???

Dave, honestly (with all due respect), what is this "latest and greatest" to whom you refer, and run what on Google?  How to hook up a new Klipschorn?

Perhaps try running a search on how many times the word "Welcome" or the phrase "Welcome to the forum"  are used.

• Moderators

If they can't figure this out, there is no hope for them. It's idiot proof, even I can do it. There are similar instructions for bi-wiring, and bi-amping. There is no "tech manuel", just very simple and easy to understand directions for unpacking, and these simple to follow diagrams like this. In addition, there are multiple Youtube videos that show how to unbox and hook up Khorns. 

image.thumb.png.05f6092e41709a40a6d5716bc143b9d3.png

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

If they can't figure this out, there is no hope for them. It's idiot proof, even I can do it. There are similar instructions for bi-wiring, and bi-amping. There is no "tech manuel", just very simple and easy to understand directions for unpacking, and these simple to follow diagrams like this. In addition, there are multiple Youtube videos that show how to unbox and hook up Khorns. 

image.thumb.png.05f6092e41709a40a6d5716bc143b9d3.png

That’s hilarious, try telling that to Dave.  I did earlier, and apparently he thought I was being an ***…

• Moderators
15 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

That’s hilarious, try telling that to Dave.  I did earlier, and apparently he thought I was being an ***…

It didn't come off that way to me that you were, but I really wasn't clear what Dave was asking. There is nothing to "explain", they went to simple and easy to understand diagrams.

If someone has asked how to connect their new Khorns here recently I'm not aware of it, however, if such was to occur, I'm pretty confident they would have the question answered immediately on here. It's hard to tell from the context what the issue is with new owners, is it something new each time? Or is it the same question/issue over and over again? If it is the former, that is probably going to need to be addressed case by case, if it is the latter, then it would be helpful to know that and something can be prepped for easy reference and Premium Audio Company could be made aware of it and they would know whether a revision to the manual might be in order. 

The only thing I could possibly think of is that the jumpers are not preinstalled and someone unfamiliar with that might overlook that and so you would have only the top-hat connected and a sound "seriously lacking in bass." Possibly the Mid and High wires getting mixed up, but they were color coded and well labeled. Other than that, I don't know what to say.   

It looks odd to me that the sockets are marked “Tweeter Out” and “Mid Out”.  Shouldn’t they be “In”?  The tweeters and squawkers don’t put out a signal, they receive a signal.  Am I missing something?

Oh, now I see it.  My mistake.

17 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I guess people get confused about having to connect 2 wires with the correct POLARITY.

I'm a huge fan of Neutrik NL-4 connectors gleaned from the Pro Speaker world. Simple and effective, especially if you have that at both ends of the cable.

Otherwise, I'm a fan of the latest 123 amps from Bruno Putzey's company, which would be a good idea for Klipsch to include with the up and coming Jubilee Khorn in 2021.

5 hours ago, seti said:

If you haven't actually heard the latest Khorn you are just talking crazy or out yer arse.....

I've heard it and I wouldn't change a thing nor would I bother biamping...

Bi amping is only good if you don't go through passive components or you need Stupid Loud watts to burn up your voice coils.

• Like 1