Later model Klipschorn Setup for Newbies

Mallette

Probably have no better luck here. Nothing but the usual from other areas...(what a silly question, etc). However, fact is that there are new Klipsch owners every day that are sold on PWK, not bi amping, tri amping, or zillion channel amping. They come for PWK. But he's no longer here. 

Every so often a new member asks about Klipschorn speaker to amp connections. At one time, it was simple. Speakers were summed at the crossover board. Now, AK5's and later have the crossover inside and the setup for a newbie is anything but simple in the Klipsch supplied literature for later model K'horns and La Scala. All have multiple outs for HF, Mid, and LF.  Any chance someone might translate the tech manual to English for newbies? Bear in mind the normal response of "you need larger gauge cable" and such is not going to impact a Klipsch convert. 

The Forum is no longer friendly to new members and the are showing it by very short stays. Of course, I am in a position to see this.

Dave

8 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I would think that's the role of the dealer who sold them.

Agreed if you are selling a $10K pair of speakers I would like at the very least that there would be some level of hookup explanation.  A YouTube video would probably make the most sense as that is where most people turn these days to figure things out.  Hell Klipsch marketing should be doing this.  Then again if you spend $10K on speakers and don't know how to connect them properly you are perhaps in the wrong hobby.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

Then again if you spend $10K on speakers and don't know how to connect them properly you are perhaps in the wrong hobby.

I respectfully disagree.  How many of the people who spend $$$$ on Ferraris, Maseratis, Porsches, etc. know how to work on them?  Also, everyone who values the excellent reproduction of music is not necessarily in the “hobby.”

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Hang on a sec, I want to help, but I need to wash my hands after disassembling the transmission on my new Ferrari.  Yes, that's a fair comparison......

Must be a rookie Ferrari owner. The veteran Ferrari owner Always keeps several boxes of nitrile gloves handy — 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

if you spend $10K on speakers and don't know how to connect them properly you are perhaps in the wrong hobby.

Last year I was in a hurry and hooked my new AK6's up wrong at first.  No I don't know how to read manuals, this is Kentucky after all, we don't have libraries and whatnot.  

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

Last year I was in a hurry and hooked my new AK6's up wrong at first.  No I don't know how to read manuals, this is Kentucky after all, we don't have libraries and whatnot.  

Yes I remember, you posted under a fake name (probably put your daughter up to it) asking for help on how to connect 

AK-6's, we were mean to you and told you to contact your dealer and read your manual (which was written for people from Kentucky in mind-lots of pictures, no words) and told to get back to us with any questions. 

[I made all of that up of course]

• Haha 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I respectfully disagree.  How many of the people who spend $$$$ on Ferraris, Maseratis, Porsches, etc. know how to work on them?  Also, everyone who values the excellent reproduction of music is not necessarily in the “hobby

Respectfully, I believe that's the wrong analogy. Hooking the speakers up is a fundamental, common requirement of purchasing and owning speakers-the manual covers every basic fundamemtal requirement. Starting with how to take them out of the box.

The analogy wouldn't be how many know how to "work on" the car, it would be how many know how to start their car (tricky on a Porsche, it's on the left from days of Le Mans-so you can start with left hand and put car in gear with right at same time), or how many know when their car is low on gas, or how to fill their car with gas?

• Moderators
On 11/29/2020 at 8:09 PM, Mallette said:

Now, AK5's and later have the crossover inside and the setup for a newbie is anything but simple in the Klipsch supplied literature for later model K'horns and La Scala. All have multiple outs for HF, Mid, and LF.  Any chance someone might translate the tech manual to English for newbies

I didn't realize we had dueling threads on this topic. We would need to know what the common issue or difficulty is in order to do that. There is nothing to translate, it's a matter of matching the diagram.

If the confusion is because they are following the bi-wire or bi-amp diagram when they need to use the "straight' hook up I could see that, and that is simple to answer. Or if they don't have a manual because they purchased them used, I think that's easy enough to sort out, they are all on line and set up as downloads.

Other than that I can't figure out what the confusion would be, or where you would start in order to clarify the diagram.

Dave, you are the teacher/professor here, probably the most qualified to identify the cause of confusion or misunderstandings, if you can tell us what the trouble spots are I'm sure we could all come up with something (I have never had to approve a first time post on connection questions, nor do I recall seeing one other than Thebes having questions on how to hookup a network in a newer model which is a whole nuther thing entirely).

Travis

I would have answered,

Welcome to the Klipsch forum,

We are here a forum of enthusiasts (sometimes a little gruff 😋), we will do our best to make this moment here pleasant for you and we will help you. Regarding your connection problem tell us what is wrong and also tell us what you do not understand on the diagram posted by Micromara. See you soon !

😀

• Like 1

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, mustang_flht said:

I would have answered,

Welcome to the Klipsch forum,

We are here a forum of enthusiasts (sometimes a little gruff 😋), we will do our best to make this moment here pleasant for you and we will help you. Regarding your connection problem tell us what is wrong and also tell us what you do not understand on the diagram posted by Micromara. See you soon !

😀

Free toaster for that one.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Respectfully, I believe that's the wrong analogy. Hooking the speakers up is a fundamental, common requirement of purchasing and owning speakers-the manual covers every basic fundamemtal requirement. Starting with how to take them out of the box.

The analogy wouldn't be how many know how to "work on" the car, it would be how many know how to start their car (tricky on a Porsche, it's on the left from days of Le Mans-so you can start with left hand and put car in gear with right at same time), or how many know when their car is low on gas, or how to fill their car with gas?

We had a family member, after just having handed over the keys, called and said the car had died and wouldn’t start for her or a helpful bystander. Unable to rush to her aid I called the tow service for a trip to our favorite mechanic. A few hours later we get a call with a comment on the photo sitting on the dashboard with a handsome young man. “Your daughter’s boyfriend”? His smiling face was plastered over the gas gauge - oh yeah, she was out of gas. 

• Haha 1