I Sold A Pair of Speakers

Peter P.

Clearing out my brother's estate, I've been selling off his stereo equipment. Nothing special, certainly in comparison to what you'll find on this forum.

I was down to the last pair of speakers. They were Technics SB-A51's, a floorstander. I think of these as coming with one of those cheap rack systems.

Simulated woodgrain vinyl wrapped MDF cabinets. 10" woofer, 3" midrange, 2" tweeter. TWO ports (the speaker label said they were "horn loaded ports") and each port was a different size and depth. Just cheap looking speakers all around.

I posted them on craigslist for the absurdly low price of $25 for the pair, probably because I was comparing them to my Heresy's and other Klipsch speakers I've owned. I decided I'd hook them up so prospective buyers could audition them, although at the price I didn't think anyone would care what they sounded like, other than to make sure they worked. Brushed off the dust on the drivers and in the ports using a soft paint brush. I removed some melted candle wax off the cabinets, covered some stains on the grills and even washed them in my bath tub!

In the one day they were mine to listen to, they really weren't that bad. Definitely accentuated in the bass which I had to equalize down. Nothing to write home about in the mids and highs, but for casual listening, they worked. But they were certainly ugly and cheap looking.

The guy who bought them was probably in his 60's and wanted to get back in to listening and was bargain hunting for a system. Richard is no audiophile, but he bought a system at the PX when he was in Okinawa in the Marines. Told the guy in the store he wanted the best. Some Pioneer speakers, a Sansui 9090 receiver. Well, somehow his brother got hold of the system and smoked everything. Richard would love to recreate that system of yore but money was tight. He bought a receiver for ten bucks from Goodwill. The turntable he bought from Amazon was a P.O.S. so he returned it and he's still looking. Has a 5 disc CD changer, and is now thrilled to have found a pair of speakers that were cheap, and work. It was cool to see how thrilled he was with his craigslist find.

Speaker - 1.jpg

• Like 5

I had a pair of large Pioneer bookshelf speakers that I basically got for free with a pair of $100 KG4s.  I finally got tired of them collecting dust so I put an ad on Craigslist and listed them for $50, knowing I was going to give them away free to whomever came to get them.  I didn't want to list them for free because I didn't want to be inundated with emails so I figured at $50 that would at least keep the riff-raff at bay.

Got an email a day or two later from a guy and he said he'd take them.  Guy showed up in an old beat up minivan, middle of winter where it had just snowed.  He's in a wheelchair!  Young guy, too.  Probably in his early 30s.  I brought the speakers out to him.  You should have seen the look on his face when I told them they were his free of charge.  He said he just wanted some cheap speakers because he's home a lot and wanted to be able to listen to some music.  I felt great that day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Clearing out my brother's estate, I've been selling off his stereo equipment. Nothing special, certainly in comparison to what you'll find on this forum.

I was down to the last pair of speakers. They were Technics SB-A51's, a floorstander. I think of these as coming with one of those cheap rack systems.

Simulated woodgrain vinyl wrapped MDF cabinets. 10" woofer, 3" midrange, 2" tweeter. TWO ports (the speaker label said they were "horn loaded ports") and each port was a different size and depth. Just cheap looking speakers all around.

I posted them on craigslist for the absurdly low price of $25 for the pair, probably because I was comparing them to my Heresy's and other Klipsch speakers I've owned. I decided I'd hook them up so prospective buyers could audition them, although at the price I didn't think anyone would care what they sounded like, other than to make sure they worked. Brushed off the dust on the drivers and in the ports using a soft paint brush. I removed some melted candle wax off the cabinets, covered some stains on the grills and even washed them in my bath tub!

In the one day they were mine to listen to, they really weren't that bad. Definitely accentuated in the bass which I had to equalize down. Nothing to write home about in the mids and highs, but for casual listening, they worked. But they were certainly ugly and cheap looking.

The guy who bought them was probably in his 60's and wanted to get back in to listening and was bargain hunting for a system. Richard is no audiophile, but he bought a system at the PX when he was in Okinawa in the Marines. Told the guy in the store he wanted the best. Some Pioneer speakers, a Sansui 9090 receiver. Well, somehow his brother got hold of the system and smoked everything. Richard would love to recreate that system of yore but money was tight. He bought a receiver for ten bucks from Goodwill. The turntable he bought from Amazon was a P.O.S. so he returned it and he's still looking. Has a 5 disc CD changer, and is now thrilled to have found a pair of speakers that were cheap, and work. It was cool to see how thrilled he was with his craigslist find.

Speaker - 1.jpg

Good job on the sale of the speakers. They look good. Horn loaded ports!

• Like 1