KLF-20 / C7 - Crites vs. MAHL

Eskimo128

Let me start by saying I'm blown away by the work that DaveA has done in creating those amazing tweeters, and I'm not trying to take ANYTHING away from them.  My question is really about "timbre matching".

My setup is 80-90% home theater use, so it's important for me that the L/C/R still "match", so here's my dilemma:

-If I just upgrade the diaphragm's in all 3 to the titanium (that Crites offers), they will definitely match, but the L&R won't sound as good as they could.

-If I do Dave's MAHL's in the L/R and the titanium diaphragm in the KLF-C7, I'm worried that as sound pans from center to the L/R, it'll sound different..  But obviously during 2-channel listening, it'll be better, but that's only 10-20% of my use.

Thoughts?

(My overall setup is the above-mentioned KLF-20 L/R, KLF-C7 center, KSP-S6 sides, and a pair of old KMC centers for rear surround - powered from an Emotiva XPA-5 and UMC-2) - I bought the KLF's new while stationed in Germany in 1997- the boxes have at least 6 layers of moving tape haha)

Edited by Eskimo128

You may want to consider looking at an Academy center since they use the same “k75/79” horn. Then you could add another one of Dave A's tweeters. The timber between the two centers has been suggested to be very similar. You could go as far as move the xover & 8” drivers from the klf-c7 into the other box and be even closer to the klf-20/c7.

20 minutes ago, Alexander said:

You may want to consider looking at an Academy center since they use the same “k75/79” horn. Then you could add another one of Dave A's tweeters.

Or you could modify the C7 horn to take the DE-120 driver or DE-10 whichever you end up with.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying the MAHL tweeters after listening to them after about an hour of 'break-in' - Damn they're good!  I let Audyssey take care of attenuating the highs as opposed to an L-pad.

Now I'm hunting for another KLF-20 to have a true matching center, since I built an acoustically transparent screen.  Maybe even some KLF-10's for side surrounds too.

Edited by Eskimo128
  • Like 1