Wood Pellet blue tooth controlled grill/smoker

Foxman

@Shakeydeal 2 Questions on that gravity charcoal smoker. I assume you still use wood for the smoke flavor? Secondly, does the charcoal stay dry enough to leave in the hopper, or do you have to either use whats in there or take it out?

@tromprof I am on their site looking at those. That 40" digital smoker is very interesting, and reasonably priced.

Thanks all.

• 1 month later...

Im in-between on it all, but have been really interested in the pellet smokers.   I use an old propane driven smoke box with a large cast iron wood box above the burner that is almost sealed up to keep the wood from flaming up.  Produces heavy blue smoke that will mess you up when you open the door.   I wish I had time to smoke more and the gut to endure it.   2 or 3 days of Hickory smoked meat and Im trying to give it away after that.

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

That's why I use oak as well as hickory...

my Portuguese relatives use white oak. it's really old school, dig a hole in the backyard, put big chunks of beef on spitz and lay it over the fire. the guys tend the fire and meat while having drinks. 

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Basic bbq protocol.

and as a kid, it was an honor when they'd let me turn the spits. of course, the adults would argue about which wood is acceptable; but white oak always won. charcoal briquettes were never used. that generation had all died off ... but there are a few of us that still try to keep the old tradition alive.  I have a few of the spit rods that my uncle made (he was a metal worker by trade).  they're about four foot long and you can put a lot of meat on those things. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't use pellets but logs cut up in chunks. Oak and Hickory as well, but what I have noticed is some Hickory is way stronger than other Hickory. I could see why some say straight Hickory is strong so they cut it with Oak. The Hickory I seem to get is not usually really strong, Hickory it's my favorite, even just the smell as it's cooking.  

• Like 1

okay. the liquor is flowing at my place tonight ... you know, it is rock and roll Wednesday.  So, can you explain the hickory effect in terms of taste?  Or is it just smell that we associate with a taste difference? 

by the way, how are you these days Elden?  And your wife?  Please give her my regards and I hope all is well with you both. 

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

okay. the liquor is flowing at my place tonight ... you know, it is rock and roll Wednesday.  So, can you explain the hickory effect in terms of taste?  Or is it just smell that we associate with a taste difference? 

by the way, how are you these days Elden?  And your wife?  Please give her my regards and I hope all is well with you both. 

Well have a good Wednesday, sound like a good tradition.

I don't know the Hickory effect or any other kinds of wood effect past the smell which does flavor the food. I just like how it taste, different woods do make different coals as far as how long they last . Anything past that I don't know, I don't "pair" any certain flavored woods for certain meats, and I hate that term "pair", just do, it even seems to have worked it's way into audio.

Were doing good, busy, her with the museum lately and watching a Granddaughter, me with building a shop and helping with the kids, plus the holidays adds to it. But I am happier when I'm busy or at least have a project going, I am not good at doing nothing. And I have projects lined up for a long time. :emotion-21:

I'm glad to hear about the Wednesday thing, good for you, people need to do what makes us happy, were always better when we do. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dtel said:

I'm glad to hear about the Wednesday thing,

truth be told .. it's every OTHER day. I do keep a beautiful Taylor guitar next to my bed, so that helps fill these days in lockdown. Thanks to the pandemic, I'm stuck up here another year. Been renting (thank God I didn't buy a place up here since I've decided that I hate this place). But, the pandemic makes it hard to look for other places, so the lease is up and I decided to re-up for another year ... they only raised the rent $5 per month.  hoping next year's move (my 15th) will be the last. I gotta learn to love someplace, right?  I did live in one place 10 years so that's almost contentment (it did happen to be the most expensive place I've ever lived).

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

truth be told .. it's every OTHER day. I do keep a beautiful Taylor guitar next to my bed, so that helps fill these days in lockdown.

That's even better.

(thank God I didn't buy a place up here since I've decided that I hate this place)

True, when it's time shop around by your kind of climate, and things to do in the area, like scenery. I think you moved to a much wetter and cooler place that you were used to.

I gotta learn to love someplace, right?  I did live in one place 10 years so that's almost contentment (it did happen to be the most expensive place I've ever lived).

Well you don't have to love it but it needs to have enough things you like about it. Like here where we live, I don't love it but there are a bunch of things I like. Rural, no big city's close, temperature if you don't get heat stroke, low cost of living, within 60 miles of where I grew up.  Never thought I would live in Mississippi, locals know when I talk I'm not from here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

Never thought I would live in Mississippi, locals know when I talk I'm not from here.

so what kind of accent do you have then?

I did like Huntington Beach, CA quite a lot. 

The one environment that I've never lived in has been "Country."  I like being reasonably close to a big city; but I want to be far enough that I'm not part of that city.  I'm thinking about the Central Valley of California next. Personally, I'd go to Vegas; but I have to help my brother since the doctor told him that he can't ever go back to his old job, and I know he hates the desert. But, maybe I can find a farmhouse in the Central Valley and won't have neighbors for a 100 yards (since I like my music rather loud).  

• Like 1